What's new

When do you give up on a old car? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
well, here we pay 5% so a 20k car will cost you 1 grand, a 40k two grand. 40k isn't a LOT to spend on a car these days

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Any car will need a repair or two. If it's been a good car, KEEP IT. You might not be so lucky next time. I had a POS lemon that ate about $2k in repairs in just one year. Thankfully my grandma cosigned to get me out of the car (quite a few years ago). Sometimes you just end up with a seeming newer, nicer car that should be more dependable, but you end up with a frustrating POS built on a Friday by the drunk guys on the assembly line or something. Save the extra cash for your next downpayment.

I traded in my '94 Beretta Z26 last year @ 169k. It was a great car. I almost regret it: thanks to an unexpected contractor paycut this year, I could really use the extra cash now. And maybe then I could have afforded my HT receiver I have been scraping to save for :).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There always seesm to be a certain point in a cars life when things start to go one right after the other. Once that point hits my cars, I scrap them.

Bringing it in to the repair shop and being without a car or trying to bum rides from people is not my idea of "Worth it". A new car (if you can afford one) is definitely the way to go :emoji_thumbsup: Hassle free for years! :)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
When buying a new car, I'd never spend more than $30k or less than $65k.

Yeah, you read that right. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
[qote]I think the majority of people in this country would disagree with you. $30k is still a lot IMO (and more than I would spend). [/quote]

with cars like the STi over 30k, accords running in the high 20's with options, and the V6 altima in the ballpark, 30k is not a lot for a car.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
just because an accord or STi runs around $30k doesn't mean it's not a lot. But my original argument was against you saying $40k wasn't a lot =P

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm not saying it isn't a lot of money, it's not a lot to spend on a car anymore. How much does a dodge pickup run? near 30 if not more, for a damn pickup

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I just bought a new Honda Civic (2003) a few weeks back. Last year, I bought a used 99 Toyota Camry with 65,000 miles on it. The car ran fine for the first 8 months... but after those 8 months, it was unreliable. I took it to several different mechanics (including the dealer) but nobody could find anything wrong.

It was idling very low (around 400 RPMs) and at least once a week, it would not start... it would turn over, but not catch a spark... and everyone told mere there was nothing wrong with it. I'd have to shift it into Neutral, roll it back for several minutes, then it would start and idle VERY low for the next 15-20 mins.

I probably could have just dealt with it, but it was really stressing me out. Getting up in the morning, not knowing if it was going to start... plus, my commute is all interstate driving, and the LAST thing that I wanted was a breakdown on the Mass Pike or 128. So, for me, the peace of mind is worth the added $70 a month.

I love my Civic - it's SOOO much easier to parallel park than the Camry!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It was idling very low (around 400 RPMs) and at least once a week, it would not start... it would turn over, but not catch a spark... and everyone told mere there was nothing wrong with it. I'd have to shift it into Neutral, roll it back for several minutes, then it would start and idle VERY low for the next 15-20 mins.
=========================================

I work in a Toyota dealer service dept. and have seen this symptom many times.

Let me guess: If you hit the gas when the car was stumbling at this very low idle it would rev up and run normally as long as you kept your foot on the pedal?

You had a bad Idle Air Control valve, a thermostatically controlled air bleed device mounted on the bottom of the throttle body with a stepper-motor controlled air bleed to control the idle speed.

This could have been replaced for a total cost of less than $300, or less than one month's payment on that new car.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Steve,

You're exactly right... and that's exactly what the Toyota dealership told me. So, I had the Air Control Valve replaced($400). Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help. As soon as I drove the car off of the lot, the symptoms reappeared.

The car idled just fine while it was warming up - it was only when the car was fully warmed up that the symptoms started.

In any event, as much as I liked the Camry, it was too much like driving a boat. The gas mileage was OK, but nothing compared to the Civic (which is great). I live in Boston, and we only have street parking. The Camry was a pain to park (due to its length).

My wife has a Rav 4 which she really likes, but I've always been a Honda man. I was going to get a new car next year anyway, so it was just pushed up one year.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Steve,
Two things:

1. Thank you for your advice on how to fix my interior light. I was able to do it successfully after a nice trip to Auto Zone.

2. I am going to have my drive belts and my timing belt replaced soon (I currently have 76k miles). I would also like to replace the water pump at the same time. I was told by the dealer that replacing the belts would be around $240.00. Any ideas as to how much more I should expect to pay to get the water pump replaced as well?

Thanks!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Steven,
Probably an intermittent open in the wiring harness then.

I had a 98 Camry on a 3 year lease and couldn't wait to get out of it. It was a great car, ultra-reliable, quiet, smooth, good gas mileage, terminally boring, and one size too big.

Replaced it with a Sentra SE in Oct. of 01, one month ahead of lease-end. Suspension is a bit stiff for most people but I love the precise handling and high-speed stability.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Just be glad that you dont have to pay a YEARLY sales tax!

Here in Boston, we have to pay an excise tax every year. This tax is 2.5% of the bluebook value of the car, or, in some parts of Boston (Allston Brighton) it is 5%!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
$40K isn't a lot to spend on a car? I wish I could say that, $20K is a lot for some of us.

As for terminally boring cars, I've had a '98 Saturn SL2 for almost 6 years now. A great, reliable car but let's just say it isn't a chick magnet (I suppose my wife appreciates this though ;) ). I'll be keeping it until it falls apart, hopefully at least another 6-10 years if not more.

Ideally you should keep a car long enough so you can save up and pay cash for your next car. Payments stink.

KJP

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, at least you are married. I am single, and a Camry = BORING.
I'm single too and I drive a BMW. Where are all the supposed women who were going to throw themselves at me because of my car??? :frowning:

To quote the Sea Captain on the Simpsons: "Arrgh, I'm not attractive"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks