What's new

When Did We Become Such Big Weather Scaredy Cats? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We got another 6" on top of the 2" yesterday. It also froze rained a bit as well.I was out in the Miata passing people in Subaru/CRV/ RAV4.Granted, I'm smart and have some Blizzak.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The fun part...My Blizzak are new this year, so they are deep and ultra pliable. I get followed too close for comfort(cause, you know...Miata is doing 40, so can I) Downshift to 2nd. Goose the throttle, throw a bunch of slush on their windshield till they back off.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Paul D G said:
What I don't get is when they forecast a heavy snowstorm the grocery store shelves get cleared. The roads will only be bad for a day, two at the worst. I can imagine running out for a gallon of milk if you're low but not these people who 'stock up'.
I've never understood this, either. It's hard to believe that most people couldn't survive for a day (or even three) on the food already in their houses. Even in the biggest snowstorms, the roads are generally mostly clear the next day so even if you were on the verge of starving to death within 24 hours, you could get to the store if you HAD to.

If your pantry and fridge are so bare you cannot survive without going to the store for 24-48 hours or so, there's some other problem beyond the weather.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Malcolm R said:
I've never understood this, either. It's hard to believe that most people couldn't survive for a day (or even three) on the food already in their houses. Even in the biggest snowstorms, the roads are generally mostly clear the next day so even if you were on the verge of starving to death within 24 hours, you could get to the store if you HAD to.

If your pantry and fridge are so bare you cannot survive without going to the store for 24-48 hours or so, there's some other problem beyond the weather.
I agree with you guys -- it's always been strange to me when people flock to the stores in panic because the forecast calls for some snow. I've lived in Michigan my entire life, and there has never been an instance when we could not get to the store if necessary. During one of the recent storms this winter, my wife couldn't find milk for 3 or 4 days around here because all the lunatics had raided the stores, which were still awaiting new shipments.

BTW, we survived the "milk crisis", in case anyone was worried. :lol:

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
schan1269 said:
The fun part...My Blizzak are new this year, so they are deep and ultra pliable. I get followed too close for comfort(cause, you know...Miata is doing 40, so can I)Downshift to 2nd. Goose the throttle, throw a bunch of slush on their windshield till they back off.
or you could get out of the way and let them pass

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Jason Charlton said:
Always makes me think of: "Anyone driving slower than me is an idiot. Anyone driving faster than me is an asshole."
nope. I just cant stand drivers who camp out in the left lane. Get out of the way........

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
In most states, it is actually illegal to "camp out" in the left lane. If you aren't passing, you have to move over for someone trying to pass, regardless of your actual speed.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Aaron Silverman said:
In most states, it is actually illegal to "camp out" in the left lane. If you aren't passing, you have to move over for someone trying to pass, regardless of your actual speed.
They are cracking down on "campers" here

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
EarleD said:
nope. I just cant stand drivers who camp out in the left lane. Get out of the way........
2 lane road. Fresh snow, not plowed yet.Me in a Miata on winter tires. Them in some small SUV will probably half worn street tire.Nobody should be going faster than 35-40. I don't tailgate, even when forced to go 25 by the person blockading traffic.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
schan1269 said:
2 lane road. Fresh snow, not plowed yet. Me in a Miata on winter tires. Them in some small SUV will probably half worn street tire. Nobody should be going faster than 35-40. I don't tailgate, even when forced to go 25 by the person blockading traffic.
Nobody should be screwing around with the driver behind them, regardless of how fast you think they should be driving. Especially in poor weather. If you don't like how close they are, let them go by.

Try that "slush" trick on someone who isn't paying attention, and you might get an SUV for a back seat. Or kill someone. But I'm sure the superior feeling would be worth it.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
My solution to winter

JD 3520 4X4 turbo diesel with heated cab
Front mounted hydraulic controlled quick attach 7' plough
68" rear Roberge snow blower
Trygg Carbide chains

These will give an idea - don't have ready access to my pics
FRONT_END_LOADER_BLADE_-_JD-72-3813-1.jpg

JD_448453_642x462.png

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Aaron Silverman said:
Nobody should be screwing around with the driver behind them, regardless of how fast you think they should be driving. Especially in poor weather. If you don't like how close they are, let them go by.

Try that "slush" trick on someone who isn't paying attention, and you might get an SUV for a back seat. Or kill someone. But I'm sure the superior feeling would be worth it.
exactly. couldn't have said it better.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To the OP's original question:

Some people I know HAVE become "big weather scaredy cats"...and, guess what--it's the media's fault. And I work in the media so I've got a bit of an insider's perspective..

TV stations feel the need to overblow upcoming weather events solely as a ratings-grabber. Even everyday weathercasts on local stations are labeled "First Warning" or "News __ Storm Tracker."

So, as the local weather guys emphasize how big a local snowfall MIGHT be (almost always over-estimating amounts...they have turned the public into "big weather scaredy cats." And when a big storm's a-comin' what does any news room do? Tell people what they need to do to protect themselves: get water, stock up on food, etc. Ever see one of your local reporters at a grocery store or Home Depot before a storm? I bet you have. It's an easy way to fill time--especially at a time when there might not be much going on since everyone is hiding under their tables waiting for Armageddon.

It has completely gotten over done.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Frankly I would rather have the media overstate than understate. I live in an area with lots of bad winter weather, snow, sleet, and lots of drivers who really need adult supervision even on good days, so I like to prepare for the worst. The problem really isn't the media, its drivers who think they know it all but don't.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aaron Silverman said:
Nobody should be screwing around with the driver behind them, regardless of how fast you think they should be driving. Especially in poor weather. If you don't like how close they are, let them go by.Try that "slush" trick on someone who isn't paying attention, and you might get an SUV for a back seat. Or kill someone. But I'm sure the superior feeling would be worth it.
Not to beat a dead horse...Our county had 4 lane closed to 2. 2 lane closed to 1. Some roads closed for a week.If an SUV is close enough to get slashed on. They are too close. When there is no choice to pull over(again, one lane. Or one lane in one direction, period).You should'nt be that close. My F250 can throw snow farther than the Miata. People tend to tailgate small cars. Have no idea why.Just like they pull out in front of the F250 with 12,000lbs goose necked.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
My 2 cents worth from ~47 years of driving.

Barring mechanical failure, stray animals & flying debris, I would say 99.9% of the cause of accidents are due to driver fault.
This includes lack of experience, distractions, impatience, lack of maintenance & not driving to suit conditions.
Bad weather only compounds these issues greatly.

[& BTW what's with all this texting or cell use while driving !!!!]

For "real" Winter Conditions
Not choosing the right winter tires (or water shedding tires in summer) creates very dangerous conditions.
Several Canadian provinces have mandated winter tires (not all-season) in their jurisdictions,
The Canadian gov't has recently changed the requirements for all-season tire rating, to more of a proper ice/snow tire.
Mountain passes in BC under Federal jurisdiction, mandate either chains or snow tires be used.

All-season tires such as Good Year Triple Treads are great for the other 3 seasons.

Blizzak, Toyo & Yoko high tech tires are absolutely incredible - when their limits & wear are respected.

Drive carefully - spring is on the way (I hope)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The dumbest accident I've ever been involved in?About 10 year's ago. Driving the company 15 passenger van(E350 extended) pulling a 30' long 10' high white trailer.Car next to me turned on its turn signal and side swiped the trailer right at the rear axles. Tore one wheel off the trailer(triple axle), being triple is the only reason I stayed on the road.Reason for the accident?Driver didn't realize a 22' van was pulling a 30' trailer...It was 2 in the afternoon. Bright skies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks