What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well I made this very assessment myself in an earlier message post in this discussion thread and it was (likely) deemed a better strategic move to debut the next Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series with a colour release.
However plans (at this formative stage) are still not (conclusively) finalized and it may well yet turn out that 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment decides to market both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) simultaneously...anything is certainly possible!
I'm still (supremely) confident that VOYAGE will prove to be a (much) bigger commercial success than THE TIME TUNNEL is in retail sales when it's finally released and given the chance to flex its potent muscles with the DVD buying public out there. People are going to be attracted by the sensational packaging design with Richard Basehart, David Hedison and the SSRN Seaview without considering that the (excellent) first season (1964-65) was produced in black-and-white.
Frankly Fox was probably (and still is) uncomfortably uncertain in the choice of THE TIME TUNNEL and of that you can be certain!
On the topic of black-and-white tv series this certainly hasn't affected DVD sales of I LOVE LUCY (CBS 1951-57), HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL (CBS 1957-63), THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64), THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS 1960-68) and BEWITCHED (ABC 1964-72) to be sure.
Many of the greatest tv series ever made were produced in black-and-white!
Jeff T.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Did I read this correctly a few posts above??

Supplementary material for POSEIDON ADVENTURE and TOWERING INFERNO ?!!

Are we going to see Special Editions for these after all these years? Probably to cash in on the remake of POSEIDON due out next summer...

That would be excellent! People have been screaming for there for ages...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Just to make it clear, I have absolutely no problem with black & white, particularly GOOD black & white - in fact, I relish it. My comments were made as a guess of what marketing types might be thinking, knowing that many younger consumers have been proven to loathe black & white, avoiding it at all cost.

And for the record, BEWITCHED was marketed both in black & white (which I bought) and colorized (which I avoided like the plague), just to appeal to those black & white haters.

As to which of the Irwin Allen series comes first, I feel it's just not as important as the fact that they are coming at all. Let's rejoice!

Harry

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well most of us participating on this discussion thread are VOYAGE fans here and we're (obviously) sore losers!
But no if 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment honours its word and makes both classic 1960s SF tv series available in 2006 then it doesn't really matter what comes out first as these two DVD collections will be released just months apart from one another.
But frankly speaking as good a show as THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) may be with an impressive 110 episodes to its credit (much more than even STAR TREK) the extraordinary storyscapes of VOYAGE has a much broader scope with many incredible adventures boasting an outstanding array of featured celebrity guest stars and top flight, ground breaking Emmy Award winning visual effects (in black-and-white and colour).
Not to mention the superlative casting of Richard Basehart (August 31st, 1914 - September 17th, 1984) in the role of Admiral Harriman Nelson.
By comparison THE TIME TUNNEL's limited single season of 30 episodes is somewhat more modest.
I'm certainly looking forward to both coming out but that doesn't mean that every VOYAGE fan necessarily feels the same way.
Jeff T.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I really could only watch maybe the first 5 TT episodes-then it went downhill to "Stock Footage/History lesson of the week" stories. The budget must have been cut;

Too bad there werent more stories located in the marvelous TT Complex with the others....

Didnt know VOYAGE won an emmy for SPFX-I thought the first season sub shots look far more impressive and realistic for scale, than Season 2 and onwards-it looked like a smaller, almost toy sub in a fish tank or swimming pool.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I just wish the TT was being released as the entire season instead of a "Vol 1". I'll have to hope that "Vol 2" gets released. Any chance that Vol 1 would get released and not Vol 2?
I'm looking forward to Voyage as well, just not quite as much as TT.
To "borrow" JeffT's line...."Let them all land" (incl The Invaders which I'm also wanting bad ):D

JeffT.

Deceased Member
sv1.jpg
cast.jpg

Listen it's not easy praising a SF tv series with the unlikely title of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68).
That's a real mouthful in any language!
I'm sure that most any visual effects work from the 1960s by today's high tech CGI standards seem elementary but frankly I think that the model work on VOYAGE in particular holds up very well indeed and still looks very outstandingly impressive...and don't forget The Flying Sub!
Like the SSRN Seaview that was also fantastic!
In response to Jeff's concerns don't fret my friend for there's (absolutely) nothing to be worried about! You'll will see THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) and VOYAGE for that matter both released in their entireties.
In addition to NORTH AMERICA there is also the global foreign market where these classic SF tv series are very popular indeed so that 20th Century Home Entertainment will be making a (tidy) profit on all of these Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series...you better believe it!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking THE TIME TUNNEL best (it's also a great show) everybody will have their own favourite...BUT just wait until you see VOYAGE in all its fully restored and digitally remastered glory! Take my word you haven't really seen it properly.
You WILL become a true believer as well!
I should be writing the ad copy for VOYAGE! This show really rocks!
voyage_bottom_sea_breach.jpg
basehartsub.jpg

Jeff T.

Mike K

Agent
JeffT:
You seem to very knowledgeable about the details of these IA dvd releases I was just wondering ...
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

I have been discussing the topic with some other folks and one interesting question that came up - I am wondering if you might have the answer to?
When Peter Staddon was on here talking about the forth coming LIS DVD releases , especially Season 1 , he talked about how a season 2 release would depend upon the sales of the season 1 release. He would make no predictions or promise of a Season 2 release , definately not any commitments.
When it came time for Season 2 release he said they weren't too happy with the LIS S1 sales numbers and they had a new strategy of splitting the season into two volumes.
It was assumed (I don't recall it ever being "Officially" stated by anyone) that the reason they did not remaster S1 and then subsequently would not remaster S2 and S3 was because of the expense. They wanted the expense to be as low as possible so that they could offer the sets to the public for as low a price as possible.
What we're wondering is , WHAT is it that convinced Fox to to digitally remaster the remaining three IA shows for their dvd release? Why are they already committed to such a large "entire" release of all three now?
It seems like such a drastic departure from previous IA dvd release strategies ... just wonder what convinced/motivated them to make this (good) decision?
Would you have any idea?? :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
My opinion is that LIS had already been restored and remastered 10 years ago for the USA and subsequent network showings, being the most popular;

Im sure FOX's thought for DVD was "Well, these look good enough-why bother spending more?"

Now TT and VTTBOTS on TV went on and on using the tattered, aging elements up until now-so they had to have very recently remastered them for DVD-there was no way they could have sold sets with those old, crappy transfers.

So by going through the latest modern restoring/mastering/bitrate techniques, both should look fantastic!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well since LOST IN SPACE has been made available on DVD much has changed and happened!
I can't say with any certainty but I think it's a safe assumption that with the quality DVD releases of such classic genre tv series as THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) in all its digitally remastered and fully restored glory (pretty much pointing the way) this just HAD to have a definite influence on 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment deciding to follow a similar practice.
Not to mention Warner Brothers Home Entertainment's upcoming DVD release of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (ABC 1952-58) tv series (due out on October 18th, 2005) which has also been produced from superior source elements.
No doubt since the release of the LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) multi-volume sets Fox has received considerable customer feedback particularly pertaining to the less-than-outstanding job that was done with this particular DVD collection.
If you'll recall Mr. Staddon clearly said that both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) were two "great" shows from his childhood...which may have also had something to do with the apparent preferential treatment that they are (deservedly) receiving.
As Mark said neither VOYAGE or THE TIME TUNNEL were in any kind of condition to market and thank goodness that (apparently) a more sensible attitude is being taken with these impending DVD releases.
There must have been some restoration work done for the LOST IN SPACE multi-volume collection because the video transfer for "Visit to a Hostile Planet" (13/09/1967) was much better than the one currently available in tv syndication for which I was personally grateful as it is one of the better third season (1967-68) efforts to be sure.
Pertaining to the sales of LOST IN SPACE from the sound of things it (apparently) did do well enough in the foreign markets so overall 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment must have been satisfied enough to continue on with the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series which I (honestly) think will have a much broader appeal with the SF community out there...and I somehow feel that Fox also realizes this (fact) too!
Keep in mind in this era of online shopping when VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL are released in North America in 2006 many of the orders will also be placed by fans from other countries who won't be waiting for these (high demand) tv premiums to be released in their own homeland. So they should do very well indeed!
Jeff T.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Not to forget that Lost In Space was issued in r2 in complete season sets - and ahead of it's r1 counterparts.

What's odd is that TT and Voyage have been on the cards for ages in r2 - you could vote for any (or all) of the remaining Irwin Allen series to be released on DVD over a year ago on Fox's UK website.

Voyage and TT (but not Land of the Giants) have been listed as "coming soon" in the advertising leaflets included in Fox DVD sets for quite some time as well - at least six months AFAIK.

Yet the announcement has been made for an r1 release first, and quite quickly after the "coming soon" rumours.

It may well yet prove that r2 will get complete season sets - just as we did with LiS...

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I've always thought that some studios will look at a tv series and say "We can make money selling this but not enough to waste our time with it." Now, most of the obvioushome runs have been hit and released on

dvd. Now I think studios are realizing shows like this can bring in a solidsteady flow of income to the

studios. Look at Paramount'sbreakneck speed at releasing season sets of classic tv shows.

I would look at Fox's comments on releasing season sets vs splitting them off with a grain of salt. I have heard that Walmart wanted a lower price than what Fox charged for season 1 and splitting them up

was a way to lower the price to satisfy Walmart. If,

as I suspect it did happen, Fox would never admit it.

They may have been doing some spinning when they said the season set didn't sell well enough to warrant season sets.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I just thought Voyage was a lot of fun to watch. I knowpeople criticize the monster of the week format

but I enjoyed it. I loved the aliens, monsters, ghosts, etc. The only thing that annoyed me sometimes

was the use of stock footage. I think they used that footage of the guy crawling around in the duct and getting his hand stuck at least four times.

The only sad thing is that my favorite episodes are years down the road. My two favorites are The Wax Men

with Michael Dunn and Deadly Puppets with Vincent Price.

I could live with say TT Vol 1 in Jan, Voyage Vol 1 in Apr, TT Vol 2 in July and Voyage Vol 2 in Oct. That

would put out 1 season per year and would be acceptable.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
like LOST IN SPACE, season 1 of VTTBOTS was less juvenile or 'camp'-and I thnk they had a bigger budget for SPFX

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Now that I see where you guys mentioned that Irwin Allen's TV stuff comes out in half seasons...I think I'll modify my plan of purchasing season one only and just purchase the first half of season one and season two. That works...getting most of the best B/W and color episodes and more overall bang for the buck. :)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Since the (surprise) announcement of THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) being released on DVD this January 24th, 2006, Warner Brothers Home Entertainment has (already) countered with THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN - THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON scheduled for January 18th, 2005 (a good week ahead) and Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment similarly has MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (CBS 1966-73) due out sometime around the May 05th, 2005 release date of the third feature film revival (inspired by the original tv series).
So 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment is going to have to come out with the (really) big guns now and unleash VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68)!
That's competition and it works splendidly in favour of the consumer.
Pertaining to purchasing specific DVD volume sets of VOYAGE (as I've already said) when you have the opportunity to see the show fully restored and digitally remastered (including the latter seasons) you will (definitely) be impelled to purchase the entire collection...this is a certainty!
Just wait and see!
Hopefully a more definite announcement about just when this 1960s SF tv classic will be coming out in 2006 is shortly forthcoming. It's all really up to 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment now but (strategically speaking) the company probably doesn't want to overshadow THE TIME TUNNEL release with such momentuous news just yet.
Jeff T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks