What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Quote:

If you can't wait...Land Of The Giants is available on DVD from Columbia House. Three episodes per DVD.

Wait for what? For (most probably) absolutely nothing to happen? Frankly speaking what I see generally being made available on DVD hasn't inspired much confidence.

People only take such a (dispassionately) reasoned attitude because they don't really care in the first place and certainly not because of any patience or personal fortitude.

Pertaining specifically to the Columbia House release of the LAND OF THE GIANTS (ABC 1968-70) in a Collector's Edition DVD series not every episode was made available and (according to actual subscribers) the print quality of the video transfers provided by 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment was decidedly uneven and not consistently of a higher quality...and when one is spending top dollar for a commodity (and these particular DVDs aren't cheap) then one should be entitled to the best possible source materials made available.

This identical problem also plagued THE TIME TUNNEL - The Collector's Edition video tape series released through Columbia House incidentally.

Another customer complaint about these particular LAND OF THE GIANTS subcription DVDs was that some of the disc pressings also had defects and frankly I don't want to have to pay extra postage charges in returning (possibly) faulty merchandise...so I (wisely) decided to steer well clear of them.

I'd like to clarrify and assure that neither Peter Staddon or 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment in particular are on trial here but hopefully the information presented (which has been considerable) on this discussion thread will indeed reach the proper party and result in some serious consideration and definite plans (finally) being made in marketing the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series in DVD collections...specifically in North America first.

Oh yes! I also hope that the packaging graphics for the VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL releases are superior to the lackluster design of the LOST IN SPACE, Season Two, Volume One DVD set.

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
"The lack of info from Fox concerning the other Irwin Allen products they own. I realize a recent thread concerning VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA was worded strongly, but I must admit I'm disappointed that we haven’t heard some news on this wonderful series from Mr. Staddon or someone at Fox."--Gary OS.
"For the people who say, "We should just buy it as it is and be happy for the extras" I point to the Star Trek VHS releases from the 80s. They originally tried to pull the same stunt, releasing the cut for syndication 46:30 episodes on tape. The Star Trek fans went ballistic and Paramount had to go back and put out the original, COMPLETE shows and pulled the cut ones off the market. People should stop being such wimps and taking whatever scraps the studios dish out. I don't really give a damn about extras, give me the shows complete and unedited or else don't bother, especially since I can record it every day from ENCORE and get the same exact quality and running time. The more people are willing to accept substandard releases, the more the companies will cheap out and give them substandard releases."--Mark To.
I've certainly amassed a considerable amount of important and informative data in this discussion thread more than enought to give 20th Century-Fox Home Entertaiment ample food-for-thought in making an executive decision pertaining to the selection of upcoming tv franchises for possible (and hopefully probable) DVD release.
Until this particular discussion thread came along I really don't think that Fox had a clear and definite conception on just how to go about promoting and marketing a unique and unusual tv property the likes of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) in particular or the kind of customer demographic that would be interested in such a tv series for that matter.
I also believe that Fox really wasn't aware of the distinctions and true stature of SF tv franchises like VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) over trifles like LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68).
Assuming of course that Peter Staddon is reading this particular discussion thread!
Right now 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment is going to wait and see just how well the LOST IN SPACE, Year Two, Volumes One and Two DVD sets perform in retail sales before taking any further action...particularly involving the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series as prospective releases.
However once this consensus is achieved (for what will be the second time) then I sincerely hope that Fox will indeed turn its attention toward the other Irwin Allen tv franchises and set definite plans for a 2005 release date of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA in North America.
The tv series DVD market is certainly a lucrative and a highly competitive one to be sure and 20th Century-Fox Home Entertaiment is not the only concern attempting to secure its fair share of the consumer dollar out there to be had. The only sure means to distinguish your company's product from the rest of the litter's will be in the selection of tv titles that are made available.
Jeff T.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

While I'd stop short of characterizing LOST IN SPACE as a trifle, I definitely agree that VOYAGE and TIME TUNNEL are different (and better) shows. Anyone that's seen all of the Irwin Allen series knows that those two shows were far more serious sci-fi/adventure shows than LOST IN SPACE.

Now, before someone responds by pointing out some of the goofy rubber monsters that became common in the later seasons of VOYAGE, I'd like to say I'm specifically speaking of the initial premises and seasons of each show. Clearly VOYAGE and TIME TUNNEL were more "serious" adventure shows than LOST IN SPACE and LAND OF THE GIANTS.

I too hope Fox takes that into consideration.

Gary "while there's a place in my heart for all 4 seasons of VOYAGE, I have to admit I'm more interested in the first 2 seasons being released because after the 2nd season the show really got campy" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Hey, don't take my comments the wrong way. I'd buy all 4 seasons of VOYAGE too.

Gary "the episode entitled 'Sub Sunk Here' was an all time classic" O.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Is that really the thinking? I like all of the cheesy Irwin Allen Sci Fi shows but I don't like Star Trek. But I'm sure there are fans of Lost In Space who don't like Voyage for instance. Man from UNCLE fans wouldn't all necessarily buy GFU. Fans of Combat might not be fans of all of the other WWII dramas. And so on and so on. But by what reasoning does a studio assume one show will predict the success of another? Makes no sense. But then I guess that's what you get when decisions are made by people who have no idea about the relative popularity of a title."--Mark To.
Nope! This VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA discussion thread just ain't going to go away...until there are definite plans announced for a DVD release!
In last Friday's (August 13th, 2004) issue of METRO NEWS an interesting article appeared by staff writer Rick McGinnis entitled "TV Zombie Hell Right Now!"
In it he (accurately) comments on the (generally) lamentable direction that the current boom in tv series DVD releases has taken saying that, "The blockbuster sales of TV on DVD has added a whole new revenue stream to the networks who still manage to plead penury while demanding new levels of copyright protection. Still it's been a bonanza for couch potatoes who are quickly getting spoiled by being able to watch a whole season of say DEEP SPACE NINE or SIX FEET UNDER without commercials with a pause button at their convience. It's changing the way we watch TV more than the networks who sell the things even realize. But the downside is that there's 50 years of TV watching to be burned onto disc much of cretinous piffle."
Every week the most inane titles are continually being added to the ever-increasing list of the most forgettable and banal tv properties imaginable while 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment itself stubbornly allows surefire hits like VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) to (unjustly) languish in the studio tv library vaults indefinitely.
Absolutely incredible!
If someone at 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment takes the time and makes the effort to actually read this VOYAGE discussion thread then literally everything has already been mapped-out for a proper DVD release.
BRING US A VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA DVD COLLECTION!
Jeff T.

Every week the most inane titles are continually being added to the ever-increasing list of the most forgettable and banal tv properties imaginable while 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment itself stubbornly allows surefire hits like VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) to (unjustly) languish in the studio tv library vaults indefinitely.
I have to agree 100% with this statement (well i also love Land of the Giants). It´s something i wonder every day when i see some "crappy" tv shows being released (ok... i´ts only my opinion and won´t mention names).

A big proportion of those of us who grew watching the fantastic Irwin Allen tv series (we are millions all over the world!!!) will surely buy them, they would sell like hot cakes, take my word Dear people of Fox.TV......

JeffT.

Deceased Member
panel.jpg

Well I'm certainly glad to learn that the ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON DVD COLLECTION is placing so very high on Amazon's sales ranking (placing 56) for a number of reasons the most significant being that more "serious" genre material holds considerable weight with the buying public out there a healthy trend that I hope continues...but observing what's still generally being made available at present this optimism is somewhat specious and suspect I'm sad to say.
We still have online information web services like TV Shows on DVD that positively rhapsodize over the company announcements that stuff like THE FLINTSTONES, TOP CAT and KOJAK as if they're impending releases were an actual boon to mankind!
So much for some of the public's (questionable) taste.
From the point-of-view of Universal Pictures Home Entertainment this will (hopefully) open the doorway for DVD releases of valuable and generally inacessible tv properties in the company's studio vaults like ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (CBS 1955-60, NBC 1960-62), BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER (NBC 1960-62), THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (CBS 1962-64, NBC 1964-65) and KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER (ABC 1974-75) in addition to the second and third seasons of NIGHT GALLERY of course.
From the standpoint of 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment this confirms what I've said all along that both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) also have the selfsame potential to be sleeper mega-hits as well if only Fox itself would (finally) see the light...and hopefully soon now!
Very much like THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64), THE OUTER LIMITS (ABC 1963-65) and THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) neither Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series has the overtly "fannish" attraction and appeal that in large part accounts for the popularities of LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) or STAR TREK (CBS 1966-69) but among the SF community at large they do indeed have immense interest beyond their own immediate fan bases.
I'll cite a very apt example of this not intending to take potshots at or disparaging any of the other Irwin Allen 1960s tv franchises.
A local downtown DVD retailer who is older than I am and with whom I talk to extensively about (naturally) the films and tv series that're generally being made available well knows my frustration about no real plans being made for either VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL as potential tv properties for DVD release in the discernable future while LOST IN SPACE was selected first.
At the mere mention of LOST IN SPACE he winced and said to me, "Jeff I've never been able to watch that show!"
When I spoke specifically of VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL he smiled and enthusiastically said, "I wouldn't mind seeing those two made available on DVD myself."
Strictly speaking I'd personally want to see all the Irwin Allen tv franchises released on high-quality DVD collections and to its credit according to Peter Staddon, Senior Vice President in Charge of Marketing Research for 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment the LOST IN SPACE - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON DVD COLLECTION did "okay" but all four SF tv series would do well in their own right with the buying public out there not just LOST IN SPACE so come 2005 let's see some real movement and commitment on the part of Fox with the other SF tv series as well.
Incidently the selfsame downtown retailer also told me that a week doesn't go by when someone isn't asking about a possible DVD release of THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68).
In reference to the online DVD information and media participants on this particular discussion forum who undoubtedly have actual contact with the major DVD distribution companies I've repeatedly implored them to specifically contact Paramount Pictures-Viacom International Television to make inquiries about THE INVADERS as a potential DVD release and its current status as a tv syndication property and apparently none of them here has bothered to do so. It makes me feel as though I'm communicating in an absolute vacuum!
Well the struggle for quality tv series DVD releases goes on!
Jeff T.

CarmenCr

Auditioning
Hello,

I've just suscribed Home Theater and a friend has helped me to found this forum. I've read in a sight your messages and have understood that you're trying a way that some classic tv shows, which were popular and still have lot of fans was published in DVD format...is'nt it??

For years and through different forums, mailing lists and signing lists sent to FOX Entertainment and Ms. Sheila Allen we have tried to convince them than lot of people worldwide wants to have Voyage in DVD (and The Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants and Lost in Space, this one has been published at last and we congratulate for ir). Our opinion is that when the Second Season of LIS will be published they (FOX) will publish VTTBOTS because it was choosen in a FOX survey as the most popular after The Pretender, but it's only an opinion.

So if someone of you have a better system I'll be happy to cooperate.

BTW - I also wants The Invaders of course...

See you soon.

Carmen

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Quote:

"For years and through different forums, mailing lists and signing lists sent to FOX Entertainment and Ms. Sheila Allen we have tried to convince them than lot of people worldwide wants to have Voyage in DVD (and The Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants and Lost in Space), this one has been published at last and we congratulate you for it. So if someone of you have a better system I'll be happy to cooperate."--Carmen Cr.

Just how many posts are required before a discussion thread hits the two page mark anyway?

Anyhow back on topic!

You have already contributed immensely Carmen by participating in this discussion thread. Incidentally Mr. Peter Staddon, Sr. Vice-President of Sales and Marketing for 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment is a forum member here and has on occasion himself participated in the discussion threads for which we are all duly appreciative.

There has been two discussion threads lobbying for both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) and sad-to-say Mr. Staddon hasn't seen fit to participate and comment on either one...assuming that he's even aware of them that is. Certainly THE TIME TUNNEL discussion thread maintained a consistent level of civility and respect so just WHY hasn't Peter at least specifically addressed it if that's the (seeming) failing of this discussion thread? A opinion expressed incidentally that I don't acknowledge!

One would think that there would be some interest and curiosity on his part even to the extent of asking questions from an (obviously) knowledgeable and dedicated fan like myself about VOYAGE...but no! Absolutely nothing!

It's certainly good to know that there has been a concerted effort to lobby for the releases of the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series especially VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL. For Heaven's sake don't wait for the powers-that-be at 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment to come-up with idea which is precisely why I'm making the effort to address the issue right here!

If 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment does turn its attention to another of these tv franchises it will most probably be VOYAGE because Fox is undoubtedly aware that it has the greatest possibility of achieving the highest retail sales over either THE TIME TUNNEL or LAND OF THE GIANTS.

Once VOYAGE proves its muscle with the buying public then the path will have been made for subsequent DVD releases of the remaining two Irwin Allen tv properties...very possibly being released simultaneously drawing impetus from another.

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is boldly moving forward with a number of tv series DVD an excellent example that (the seemingly overly cautious and indecisive) 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment should well follow.

However once the retail sales results for the LOST IN SPACE - SEASON TWO, VOLUMES ONE AND TWO DVD SETS are known and if successful then I'm fully expecting that Fox Home Entertainment won't stall any further and procrastinate by saying, "Well let's just see how well the third season DVD releases of LOST IN SPACE perform now."

The entire point of this discussion thread will have been missed entirely.

WE DON'T WANT TO WAIT ANY LONGER THAN (ABSOLUTELY) NECESSARY TO SEE A VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON DVD COLLECTION IN NORTH AMERICA!

Do you fully understand this Mr. Staddon?

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
"As for VOYAGE, I thought the first year was pretty good. I always liked Richard Basehart. He was a super actor and added quality and class to that show. He gave the impression that what he was doing was important and with a lead like that a writer can do anything. I pitched some ideas to the story editor Sidney Marshall but he couldn't get them past Irwin Allen. When I did THE TIME TUNNEL Irwin would say, 'Len, why don't you pitch some good stories for VOYAGE?' but I was too busy to bother."--Leonard Stadd, Scriptwriter for THE TIME TUNNEL ("The Death Trap," "The Revenge of Robin Hood" and "The Ghost of Nero").
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - Adventure
Debut
Stars of this adventure series are the Seaview a glass-nose atomic powered submarine of the 1970s, Richard Basehart as Admiral Harriman Nelson director of the Nelson Oceanographic Research Research Institute and David Hedison the sub's captain. Although they're supposedly research scientists the crew actually conduct cloak-and-dagger missions for the Government.
Tonight: "Eleven Days to Zero."
Seismologist Fred Wilson and Nelson's crew are headed for the Arctic where they hope to forestall a predicted earthquake. But they're attacked en route by an unidentified foe
Others regulars: Bob Dowdell as Lieutenant Commander Chip Morton, Henry Kulky as Chief Petty Officer Curley Jones and Del Monroe as Crewman Kowalski and on the enemy side Theodore Marcuse as the sinister Dr. Gamma.
Guest Cast
Dr. Fred Wilson.................................................. .Eddie Albert
Dr. Selby.................................................. ......John Zaremba
Chairman.................................................. ......Booth Colman
Crewman Malone.................................................. Mark Slade
Crewman O'Brien.............................................Gordon Gilbert
Captain John Phillips..............................................Bill Hudson
Taken from TV GUIDE magazine dated September 12th - 18th, 1964.
Today (September 14th, 2004) marks the (momentous) 40th Anniversary of the ABC-TV Network debut of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) that would not only establish itself as the highest rated SF tv series of the 1960s but also one of the longest running with four smash tv seasons outlasting even STAR TREK (NBC 1966-69) with its respectable three seasons.
Always innovative and a trendsetter VOYAGE would launch the Irwin Allen SF television dynasty of the 1960s with LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68), THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) and LAND OF THE GIANTS (ABC 1968-70) following in quick succession similarly setting new standards and achieving loyal fan followings in their own right.
A winner of 4 Emmy Awards (two for outstanding visual effects, one for outstanding cinematography and one for outstanding film editing) and the one of the first 1960s SF tv series to be produced in colour VOYAGE remains one of the best known and most popular SF tv shows in television history and its devout worldwide following shows absolutely no signs of slowing down even in the 21st Century as the futuristic adventures of Admiral Nelson, Captain Crane and the courageous Seaview crew still continue to entertainment and captivate tv audiences.
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (arguably) gave renowned film and television actor Richard Basehart his greatest featured role and capably supported by his costar David Hedison both exceptional actors made this extraordinary program a permanent landmark as one of most distinguished achievements ever produced for television.
HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY TO VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA!!!!!
It's a sad commentary that this truly historic event couldn't have been commorated with a DVD collection but hopefully this oversight will be rectified presently.
Jeff T.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants out on DVD as well. But I fail to see the point you're making.

I'm sure I can find people who like one of those shows and prefer them to any other show you care to name. But what does a statement like "I know this guy who prefers Time Tunnel to Star Trek" mean? Does it mean it will out sell Star Trek?

Studios are going to look at overall sales and user preferences.

Look at the voting on TVShowsonDVD

Time Tunnel, Unreleased Rank 172nd, Overall 283rd

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Unreleased Rank 217th, Overall 336th

Land of the Giants, Unreleased Rank 320th, Overall 475th

Based on that and taking a far wider sample than my mate down the street, there are 171 TV series that will probably out sell Time Tunnel that haven't yet been released, even more that would out sell Voyage. Some of them probably owned by Fox.

I don't know what they all are, probably I like some, certainly I suspect I'll hate others, but so what I'm not their only market.

Also you've been very vociferous against foreign releases, go to ask why. Personally I got a multi-region DVD player from day one. Couldn't care less where its released so long as it is and in decent quality.

Most stuff released R2 makes it to R1 in reasonable time if you don't want an R2 release there's a bit of a wait.

The R2 market is in fact larger than the R1 market which is why so many TV series are released there first (Buffy, Angel, Stargate, Farscape and many more were out months or years earlier in R2). More Europeans per capita, and more overall own DVD players than in North America.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I don't have any known friend participating in this particular discussion forum and all are supposedly registered forum members here.
All the quotes given are from other discussion forums (some from Amazon.com) where individuals (all of them unknown to me incidentally) have voiced their own opinions about the handling of the DVD releases of LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68), the advance release of the LOST IN SPACE - THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON DVD COLLECTION in the U.K. last July 05th, 2004 and their interest in the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series.
You say that 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment has other tv properties that are (probably) more in demand than VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68), THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) and LAND OF THE GIANTS (ABC 1968-70)...but just what are they? In the Fox online poll taken (earlier this year) for a specific group of tv series listed VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA came in second capturing 22% of the votes taken only preceded by THE PRETENDER that came in first with 24% of the total registered votes.
After these two giants absolutely none of the other tv series in the (approximately) 20 titles listed even came remotely close.
As far as the TV Shows on DVD voting polls are concerned just how many people out there with computer access are even aware of this particular online service? And more importantly of those that do participate in the voting just how many are SF fans period?
If you take the time to read the previous posts in this discussion thread then you'll at least be aware it was addressed that not everyone who purchases any of the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series will necessarily be an established fan and much will also depend on these tv franchise's (undeniably) interesting and attractive SF content plus enthusiastic word-of-mouth that will (undeniably) count for a lot.
You've also ignored the fact that all of the Irwin Allen 1960s SF already have established fan bases that will certainly get any DVD collection of these tv properties off to a rousing good start.
Now I understand your personal concern about these (high demand) SF tv series also being made available specifically in the U.K. but the Region 2 market is fragmented as evinced by the LOST IN SPACE - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON DVD COLLECTION only now just being released in Japan and Australia and the only real reason that the second season (1966-67) of LOST IN SPACE was made available in the U.K. first was because of the delays in deciding whether to split the next DVD release in the U.S. to accomodate powerful retail lobbyists like Walmart who wouldn't carry the larger and more expensive complete first season (1965-66) collection.
When I say "fragmented" this means by national borders and language. Not everybody speaks primarily English throughout Europe do they?
The fact also remains that North America is the single largest DVD market in the world and that alone will insure that most tv series releases will probably be made available over here first. Pertaining specifically to the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series interest in the U.S. and Canada is also far greater than anywhere else.
Lastly as far as STAR TREK (NBC 1966-69) is concerned the quote that you're probably referring to (which came from this discussion forum incidentally) helps establish that there are SF fans who happen to prefer the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series.
We can debate this issue till doomsday but you have your opinion and I certainly have my own so in this instance let's just agree to disagree albeit you haven't really said anything that I personally find to be valid or even (generally) relevant. To listen to you tell it DVD releases should be made available in the U.K. first and if that were (truly) the case then why are the vast overwhelming majority of U.S.-produced films and tv series being marketed in North American primarily sometimes never being made available abroad?
Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
"But what does a statement like "I know this guy who prefers Time Tunnel to Star Trek" mean? Does it mean it will out sell Star Trek?--David Simmons.
Point-of-fact in its initial Amazon.com (in the U.S. and Canada) release on September 14th, 2004 the LOST IN SPACE, SEASON TWO, VOLUME DVD SET had a higher sales rank than the STAR TREK - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON DVD COLLECTION did!
At present the second season (1966-67) LOST IN SPACE set still maintains a respectably high placing and if this proves to be a (determining) criteria for subsequent DVD releases of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and the other two Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series then everything indeed bodes well for their future.
In the U.S. the LOST IN SPACE, SECOND SEASON, VOLUME TWO DVD SET is scheduled for a November 30th, 2004 release date while the LOST IN SPACE - THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON DVD COLLECTION has now been (tentatively) scheduled for a January 10th, 2005 sales date in the U.K.
Thus far everything is in (apparent) readiness for LOST IN SPACE but WHAT ABOUT VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA?
The main concern on the part of 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment is just how well would a DVD collection of VOYAGE commercially perform but the distribution outfit already has (ample) statistics on the performance of LOST IN SPACE in both North America and abroad.
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment has (recently) released ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY (NBC 1970-73) and THE MUNSTERS (CBS 1964-66) complete first season DVD collections not to mention Rhino Home Video's MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON 3-disc DVD set all proving to be unqualified successes (according to their Amazon.com sales ranks substantiating that classic genre tv properites sell and sell big with the buying public out there.
To bring the matter even closer to home on this very discussion forum interest (and anticipation) in Image Entertainment's forthcoming THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) complete season-by-season DVD sets is also very strong indeed.
So why any further delays on this matter on the part of Fox Home Entetainment? There is only one individual here who can intelligently address this inquiry and thus far he's maintained a profound (or disinterested) silence on the matter in this discussion thread...which is boarding on (outright) irresponsibility.
As I've already addressed in this discussion thread one (faulty) mistake that is (repeatedly) being made is the thinking that it's a necessary prerequisite that a substantially large enough fan base must already exist for a DVD release to succeed and in the cases of VOYAGE, THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) and (yes) THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) these particular tv franchises will have (definite) appeal and attraction to SF fans in general and this is what their respective distributors must come to understand (and believe in) if they intend to (successfully) market these tv properties that VOYAGE, THE TIME TUNNEL and THE INVADERS et el be targeted directly at SF enthusiasts in general not just specific fans of each individual program. I'm sure that many of the customers who purchase these respective DVD collections will buy them sight unseen simply because (outwardly) they look interesting and they're something new and different from the ordinary.
To reiterate: ALL of the recent DVD releases of MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN, THE MUNSTERS and ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY have proven to be unqualified successes and many of these collections may not have tv titles that the general public out there
would have necessary asked for as their first choices but there is a definite market out there for the (so-called) older tv stuff particulary the SF and Fantasy genres and the powers-that-be just can't (seemingly) continue to ignore that reality of life.
Jeff T.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
"But what does a statement like "I know this guy who prefers Time Tunnel to Star Trek" mean? Does it mean it will out sell Star Trek?--David Simmons.

Point-of-fact in its initial Amazon.com (in the U.S. and Canada) release on September 14th, 2004 the LOST IN SPACE, SEASON TWO, VOLUME DVD SET had a higher sales rank than the STAR TREK - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON DVD COLLECTION did!
Which would presumably be more relevant if Star Trek wasn't a re-release with several people having already purchased the DVDs when they were released on the original two episodes per DVD format.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
"Also the most anticipated for me. I sold my complete series (the 5 boxsets) back in March in anticipation of the season sets.--Dane Marvin.
The above quote pertains to Image Entertainment's forthcoming season-by-season THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) DVD collections but it could have just as easily applied to the STAR TREK (NBC 1966-69) re-released DVD sets.
When the first STAR TREK single-disc two episode sets came out the DVD market was then just getting into vogue ergo I dare say that the current issue most probably did even better because of more owners of DVD players now out there and in addition to the second issue being marketed at much more affordable (read: economical) price.
The point here is that the LOST IN SPACE, SEASON TWO, VOLUME ONE DVD SET (according to its Amazon.com sales rank in both the U.S. and Canada) did a truly outstanding performance in sales (and still is) regardless of how well the STAR TREK re-release has done.
Now it's of paramount importance that the powers-that-be at 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment seize the opportunity and momentum that's been established and commence plans for marketing VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and the two other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series franchises all of which will also (certainly) prove their clout with the buying public out there.
If Fox Home Entertainment wants (tangible) proof of the (potential) success for a VOYAGE release then don't just consider the retail sales stats for the LOST IN SPACE sets (albeit admittedly it makes an excellent and persuasive starting point) but also take note of just how well the ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY and THE MUNSTERS - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASONS DVD SETS respectively performed (with plans already being discussed for a second season DVD set for THE MUNSTERS by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment). Take note of the (tremendous) interest in the upcoming THE TWILIGHT ZONE collections on this very discussion forum.
The evidence is (truly) overwhelming in favour of continued success for the other Irwin Allen tv franchises and now it's really up to 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment to decisely take action and make one of these (extraordinary) SF tv classics available in 2005.
Anyway this (particular) discussion thread isn't going to disappear until that eventually (finally) happens.
WE WANT VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA RELEASED ON DVD IN 2005!!!!!
To be continued!
Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
"I have just read over on The Mausoleum Club forums that the new amary box sets of The X Files contain flyers promising the R2 UK release of Voyage and Time Tunnel in 2005 along with the season 3 box set of Lost In Space."--Simon Templer.
Just where did we go so wrong here?
The LOST IN SPACE - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON DVD COLLECTION was nationally released in North America (the U.S. and Canada) on January 13th, 2004 first and since then instead of decisively moving forward from one complete season release to another in a quick steady succession and onto the other Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series the football has been (literally) fumbled and dropped by 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment in the U.S. and picked-up by the U.K. division and the single largest global market for DVD retail sales is now sadly lagging behind with talk about the "unlikeliness" of either VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) or THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) being made available in North America...period!
This is a foregone conclusion that I'm just not willing to accept without a valid reason...and there is none to speak of here!
If there are individuals who are content in purchasing Region 2 players in North America that's fine but there's a reason that the global boundaries are so rigidly divided and I'm (personally) not going to accumulate a lot of excess machinery just to accomodate the wide variety of disparate DVD formats available. In North America we are designated as Region 1 and we (also) want VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL made available here as well!
While the above quote is (admittedly) based on imprecise imformation at this point in time I have to (seriously) question the thinking and rationality of the executive level at 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment in making these time-honoured SF tv classics available (apparently) exclusively in the U.K.
Something that's going to be continually addressed and challenged on this discusssion thread!
All the other major DVD distribution companies (without exception) are making their tv properties available in North America first as their major retail market. Just what is it that they happen to see (and understand) that the powers-that-be at 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment (U.S. division) doesn't?
These companies (wisely) know that North America is the richest global market by far and it's certainly sound business sense to always go where the money is!
WE WANT A VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA DVD RELEASE IN NORTH AMERICA!
Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member

Admiral Nelson: "Do you think we'll ever make it onto a DVD release Lee?"

Captain Crane: "Admiral Nelson you can count on it!"

Quote:

"Just a little update. I got contacted yesterday by the people at Fox International about helping with the third season airdates and also other facets of the episode guide.

Kevin Burns gave them my name which I thank Kevin once again for doing as I love to help with the process. So thank you Kevin!

A few interesting notes.

1. The street date has been pushed back and will not happen in January. I have been told that there will be some bonus features added to the set and that this has caused the holdup. They didn't get into specifics about the bonus stuff but will find out from them.

2. I told the nice lady at Fox International during our conversation that they should add the commercial pause that is in the episode 'Target Earth' and that the LIS fans would go gaga over that as it has never been added or rarely seen. I also told her if there was a problem tracking down that 5 second break that I would gladly send her a copy of it to use if need be. The third season print being used for 'Target Earth' more then likely will not contain the break. She was going to pass my little bit of info off to the powers that be to see if it could be included.

So that's about it. Fox International is working hard on the third season dvd set and it will be offered as one box set BTW.

As far as a third season US release. I haven't heard anything regarding it.

Only time will tell."
--Ray Dutzack (Saturday, November 13th, 2004).

It would seem that the (tentative) release date of January 10th, 2005 for the LOST IN SPACE - THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON DVD COLLECTION in the U.K. was premature and will be delayed for an (at present) undetermined period of time.

Curiously some DVD online news services (confidently) claimed that THE FANTASY WORLDS OF IRWIN ALLEN (1995) tv special was to included in the package as a bonus extra but it would seem that the corporate thinking has now changed on this.

This means that tomorrow (Tuesday, November 30th) once the LOST IN SPACE - SEASON TWO, VOLUME TWO DVD SET hits the local retail store shelves North America will have caught-up with our overseas counterparts.

So let's hope that now it's the North American sales market that moves ahead and maintains the lead pertaining to future DVD releases of the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series.

Incidentally the LOST IN SPACE - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON DVD COLLECTION has only just recently be released in Australia (Region 4 format).

When the LOST IN SPACE - THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON DVD COLLECTION was released in the U.K. last July 05th, 2004 (happy) comsumers were given the invitation to request their other favourite Irwin Allen tv series for (possible) DVD and let's hope that a similar call by 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment is also extended to North American (the U.S. and Canada) purchasers as well.

For Pete's sake don't we count for anything here? Frankly I'll be very disappointed and annoyed if it isn't.

WE WANT VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA RELEASED IN A DVD COLLECTION!

Jeff T.

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, you need to chill. I mean, stop writing enormous posts that hurt my eyes with their italics and random bolding, and go play in the hay dude.

I mean, I want a release as much as anybody, but ranting about it here isn't going to do anything about it. No offence, but you're hurting my eyes and my head man!

We get it... you want it on DVD.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Quote:

"I mean, I want a release as much as anybody, but ranting about it here isn't going to do anything about it."--David Levy.

Well it should be clear that I'm (primarily) having fun with my own posts and with all the neat state-of-art features that can accentuate the printing I'm simply exercising all these interesting tools afforded me.

Nobody is under any obligation to read every message post made on this discussion forum. I certainly don't myself and you have the selfsame option of exercising choice to be more selective in the topics that you choose to read.

I've often wondered myself (and have repeatedly asked) whether making message posts expressing interest in certain tv properties as prospective DVD releases really does any good here. This discussion forum does have a reputation for being a very high profile online site for many of the major Studio distribution companies.

Point-of-fact Peter Staddon, Senior Vice-President of Marketing and Promotion for 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment has (infrequently) participated in some of the discussion threads himself so (hopefully) I've been bending someone's ear who's in a position to influence some positive action toward a possible DVD release of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68).

There are a good many people who read these message posts and could also spread the (good) word to other online discussion forums thereby interest (hopefully) escallates possibly to the extent that public opinion will be substantial enough that chances of a DVD release will become a definite possibility. Surely it's better to give it a try rather than to do nothing.

Lastly the reason my posts are here so long is because VOYAGE is such an extraordinary SF tv series that it inspires discussion. Whether or not this particular discussion thread really does any good...only time will tell!

Jeff T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks