What's new

When are covers preferred over the originals? (1 Viewer)

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
How about Aretha Franklin covering Otis Redding's "Respect"?

The Beatles' covering the Isley's "Twist & Shout"?

Elvis Costello covering Nick Lowe's "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love & Understanding"? (originally performed by Brinsley Schwarz)

There are plenty of songs that people forget are covers.

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator
Spirits in the night - Manfred Mann
For You - Manfred Man
Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann
My Back pages - Eric johnson
any remake by Metallica

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I just got Donny Hathaway's "These Songs For You, Live!" I've heard several covers of Stevie Wonder's Superwoman but none as good as Donny's. It gets better though, his cover of Al Kooper's "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" is a real grand slam, magnifico! The album has only a few of his originals and a bunch of covers like What's Going On, Yesterday, and Leon Russell's A Song For You. Come to think of it, his cover of Leon Russell's gem might be the best I've heard...? I've only listened to the album once, yet!

Ah, but that song was on the classic Blood Sweat and Tears album, "Child is Father to the Man". Hard for me to think anyone could top the original.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dave, Donny was a very, very good singer! I know what you're saying, it's hard to imagine. I was in the middle of that song and went, wait, that's the ole B,S & T's song, oh yeah. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks