What's new

What's Your Speaker History? (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
An update to my original list from post #2.

In my livingroom I now have Polk LSI25's, LSi7's and the CSi center. Love that Vifa tweeter. I listen to a lot of 2 channel music in Pure Analog and the 25's handle it very well.

In my family room are Dynaudio Audience 50's, Audience 20's and a C122 center. Tried the Audience 80's but didn't hear much of an upgrade in bass. The 20's are the jewel in the linup.

All the above bought off CL/ebay.

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
Well this thread really makes me think of the history of speakers for me, great choice.

Back then...

Until the mid 80's, it was just crappy no name speakers until I smashed my 72 Charger, which still drove, and my friend needed a car so he gave me some cash, his Technics amp and JBL 902VX studio monitors. I then added a JVC tuner and some other stuff which is when I got into separates. Had the JBL's until the early 90's when I worked at Pioneer Video in Carson, where we made the laserdiscs which was also a post house, and then I had gone through several different sets, including their surround package for the early Pro-Logic set up. Many I gave away and other I sold off.

...and now

After working in another post house here in Chatsworth, every time they upgraded their equipment and speakers, guess who them? So my current HT speaker set up is the B&W THX series, the FCM8's, SCM8's and PCS8's for the 5.2. I got the whole system for $750. Then when we turned a conference room into an office, I got the LM1's for free and used them as the surround back to make 7.2.

And when the company moved to a new building, there were going leave some stuff behind, what were they thinking? So due to this move, I got my hands on my current two channel speaker system which consists of four Cello Amati's, double stacked into a stereo pair along with the Cello Strings II speaker cables that were made by Mark Levinson when he installed the Amati's. I got all of this for free. Now the woofer surrounds were shot and I had them re-done at Orange County Speaker. All twelve grills were missing as these were behind a speaker grill wall in one of the edit bays so I built custom frames and covered them with speaker grill cloth and now I have a killer speaker set up for about $500.

Last weekend I was at T.H.E. Show and found a great company called Wavetouch Audio and am going to try their bookshelf speakers, they sounded really nice, can't wait to try them here. Their a new up and coming speaker company and their built right here in L.A.

I really love A/V gear and I end up keeping most of it, it's really hard to let any of it go, but sometimes I do. In the meanwhile, I'm going to keep enjoying all this great gear that I've been very fortunate enough to behold.

Sabby

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Pretty simple. In 1970 I had a Lafayette setup with their speakers and receiver. This setup was stolen and was replaced with a Marantz 2230 receiver and JBL L-100s.The JBL L-100s now anchor our 7.1 surround system along with an SVS PB 12 plus 2 subwoofer. The JBL Mains along with an Advent center and 4 surrounds are driven by a Yamaha Aventage receiver. The JBLs still rock after 40 years of use. Their 12 inch woofers along with the dual 12 inch SVS subwoofer can really shake the house.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've been eyeing this thread and trying to figure out a way to conjure up most of what I(or when younger, dad and brothers in the house) have owned. This list won't be anywhere close to "complete"...asterisks will denote speakers I actually paid for.

Technics/Panasonic "globes" that hung from the ceiling for quadraphonic. Anybody remember those?
Panasonic Thrusters
Radio Shack linaeum towers(originals)
Heathkit
Zenith. Once of those LP/8-track/cassette/tuner shelf systems. Those speakers are still in use somewhere in the family.
Infinity Quantum
Technics "rack system speakers" (my first actual surround sound. Back before center speaker)
Altec Lansing model series*(first 5.0 set)
JBL 2600*
Infinity Crescendo*
BIC V series*
DCM TF*
Polk(have owned probably 10 different pairs/sets)*
Synergistic S73*
Dahlquist DQ10*
STR* (enormous. Twin 15" downfiring woofers per cabinet, bi or tri ampable)
Boston Acoustics(couple of different sets)*
DA PS10*
David and Goliath*

That list, which is hardly exhaustive, doesn't count what I buy and sell as a living. I'm just counting what I've spent time listening to(side job is hitting up distress auctions and estate sales).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks