What's new

What's Your Netflix Experience (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I joined Netflix about a month ago. I thought it was a no-brainer, especially since you can add Blu Ray access for just another $1.00 per month. But I have already received 3 films that will not play all the way through on my BD player, which isn't even 6 months old, and plays all of the titles I own perfectly. The latest title didn't even make it past the 2nd chapter and had very visible surface scratches. I thought BD was supposed to be more scratch-tolerant than standard DVD, but that's another topic.

So for all of you Netflix customers, please share your experience. I really hate the thought of having to cancel Netflix, but as far as I can see, they offer no real restitution when one of their discs doesn't play properly. I'm on the single disc unlimited plan, so everytime they send me a bad disc, it reduces the total number of films I can see that month since [if I want to see the film] I have to wait for them to send a replacement. I think they should at least offer to send 2 discs the next time around, although I know it would create an incentive for unscrupulous types to game the system.

Thoughts???

John

Swanny

Agent
Real Name
Johon
John,

I have the 4 Blue Ray disc plan and have never had a problem playing on my PS 3. I'll bet it's your player. What model do you have?

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'm on the 3 out plan and have been renting BD's since NF started offering them. I think I can remember one time that a disc didn't play and I had to get another copy. I also think it has something to do with your player.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, I guess I'm glad to hear the consensus thus far is that Netflix quality is good. My player is the Magnavox unit that Wal-Mart sold for $298.00 with a $100.00 rebate earlier this year. I've had it too long for a refund, but maybe they will give me store credit if I want to upgrade. Then again, maybe not. I can't even find the receipt.

It's been one of those years.:crazy:

Thanks guys

John

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I ditched Netflix when 5 out of 6 discs didn't play on my Playstation3. They were visibly scratched and the replacement discs were also too damaged to play. After I got two discs in a row of the same title that were cracked (yes, cracked) I quit and started renting at Blockbuster. Haven't come across a single bad disc, yet. My theory is that it's the shipping process, as the most common damage was cracking and Netflix does not package their discs with any care.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I love netflix. I had it for my dvd rentals last year, and blu-ray this year. I have only had two problems in one year. A South Park season 2 disc arrived scratched, and recently I sent back Die Hard blu and they never received it. A few clicks, and the problems were solved. I'm on 3 unlimited. I watch average 3 movies a week. You figure $5 a rental at Blockbuster, that's $60 and I'm paying less than $20. I am pro netflix.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hey Sam;

I found that thread interesting, but don't understand how it really relates to this topic. Did I miss something? Entirely possible.

I think I'll buy a new BD player tomorrow from a place like Costco [where I know they will take it back if necessary] and test my latest Netflix BD, Saw IV in it before sending it back. If it does the same thing in the new player, then I'm going to assume the problem is with Netflix. But if it plays in the new unit, then I'll figure the problem is in fact my BD player, and keep the new one. (Not sure how I'll square that with the wife, but anyway...)
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Swanny and Southpaw. Notwithstanding your comments, I thought about it, and I can see a scenario where people in some areas get quality discs from Netflix, while others consistently do not. With their distributed supply model, they effectively have seperate catalog libraries in each region. That means the employees at a particular shipping point [how well they inspect discs], as well as the customers in that region [how they treat discs] have to factor into what is ultimately delivered to the next customer. Even if the Saw IV BD plays in the new player, based on its physical appearance, it should never have left the shipping facility IMO.

Are there any Atlanta area Netflix users out there who can chime in?

John

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Hi Shad;

Based on the math, I'm pro-Netflix too, which is why i signed up. But if the discs aren't playable then the math goes out the window, does it not? That's why part of me hopes it is my player, even though I would have to replace it.

John

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I'm an Atlanta-area Netflix subscriber, and haven't had any problems with the discs I receive. If anything (and this is still fairly rare), it's the DVDs I get that are all scratched up and nigh unplayable. But I find that depends on the player too. My six-year-old Sony DVD carousel changer has been quite sensitive to scuffs and scratches for a few years now, but my Oppo 980H plays 'em all without a hiccup. I bought the Panasonic BD30 a year ago, and it's taken good care of me. But all the Blu-rays I've received from Netflix here have been in pristine condition - which was not the case when I was a subscriber living in Utah some years ago.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
If you are getting cracked discs from netflix, call them and report it. They will in turn report it to their local mail center. Often times the equipment the U.S. mail uses to process the mail needs to be adjusted, because it is causing damage to the discs.

Here are 3 customer service number for Netflix.

1. Customer Service: (800) 585-8131

2. Customer Service: (888) 638-3549

3. Customer Service: (800) 279-5688

Doug

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Thanks Bryan. This is helpful. My discs come from Duluth. What about yours?

John

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hi Doug;

I haven't received a cracked disc yet. I really hope that never happens. My problem with Netflix thus far is not an occasional damaged disc. With the volume they ship, I understand that this will happen from time to time. However, it appears to be happening a bit too frequently in my case, and Netflix does not fairly compensate the customer for it IMO, since the end result is me getting fewer discs per month than I am entitled to.

It could still be the player. I should know by tomorrow evening.

John

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Netflix 9 years and counting.
less then 5 times had a disc not arrive.
less then 5 times had a disc not play, including blu.
Can drop a disc in the mail on monday and get the next one at home by wednesday.

i can watch a bunch of movies on my mac thru netflix.
nearly every blu-ray in my Q is available or short wait.
Planet of the Apes was short wait at the top of my Q,
today a disc arrived at Nretflix and Apes shipped out while on short wait.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

Yup, Duluth's the place. Like Tony, I get two business day turnaround on my discs.

I'm hoping it's a player issue for you. They're hardly a major retailer, but hhgregg has the Panasonic BD35 for $199.99 today only. Check out their website if you're interested.

bases1616

Agent
Real Name
Alex
I have been a Netflix customer for over 2 years and for the most part have been pretty happy with them. Lately, they have been sending me too many Blu-ray's from other states so it takes days to get to me. Other than that no problems with BD's having scratches or being unplayable. I love the PS3. IMO still the best overall BD player out there. I have played over 200 BD's and no problems.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I've had no problems with the BD rented. However, I always clean the dics before using them as it seems that some people use these discs as coaster or dinner plates. I exxagerate but they are often quite dirty so a rinse under hot water, drying with a cotton towel gets them clean.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I joined several months ago and have rented many, many Blu-rays and have yet to have a single issue. They all have played perfectly even with visible scratches on the discs.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
Have had only one blu-ray that wouldn't play (Get Smart) even though I was on the latest and greatest post Bond collection firmware release.

My problem has been more with long wait times on blu-ray new releases. I get them to the top of my queue for release but most of them are "Very Long Wait" and usually take at least several weeks after release to get them. Maybe because I get only 2 discs at a time and am therefore low on the list behind those that get 3 or more at a time? That was my only issue with the monthly price increase for Blu-Ray. I don't mind paying the extra if I can get them in a more timely manner.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I'm in South Florida and have had no probs playing Blu-rays from Netflix at all. I have the Panny BD-30. I don't believe I've seen a disc in poor condition yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks