What's new

Directors Whats your favorite movie scene? (1 Viewer)

rafayel

Auditioning
Which scene in a movie do you think is the greatest cinematic moment ever?

Mine is Kilgores air raid on a Vietnamese village in Apocalypse now.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Rafayel. This sort of question belongs in a scary place called "Polls," which is where I'm relocating it.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
My favorite scene is also the helicopter raid on the Vietnamese village in Apocalypse Now.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This is an impossibly difficult question for me to answer as I could derive 100 great scenes that I love equally. Perhaps this one...
when the Scottish rebels dispose of the English in Braveheart, Wallace cuts the governor and the crowd shouts "Wallace, Wallace ..."

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
The only sequence that stunned me for 10 solid minutes after, was the Mines of Moria sequence in Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Fabulously edited, occasionally terrifying, action packed. My heart was in my skull throughout, throbbing wildly. So, that's my pick..
Either that, or the ending to Casablanca. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Rafayel, welcome to the forum!
Three scene's qualify for me, the first is without a doubt the last 10 minutes of the sinking scene from James Cameron's TITANIC. He showed us nothing less than the great ship herself going down, the physics that act on a sinking ship, and the terror of those trapped on board during her final death plunge as this massive machine tore itself apart right under their feet, and took 1500 souls with it. One of the true great re-creations of a real life event ever committed to film.
Second is definatly the Omaha beach landing in Saving Private Ryan. Now, we all know that that scene makes for great demo material for our HT systems, but i'm talking about the terror of it, the sick feeling of dread you feel when the doors on those Higgins boats drop open and hell on earth ensues. Spielberg showed us war, plain and simple, in all it's shocking, surreal, and gut wrenching horror. For nearly half an hour, the screen erupts in a cataclysym of violence and bloodshed unmatched by any other war film ever made.
Third is a little lighter than the first two, it's Elliot's and E.T.'s tearful goodbye at the end of E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. I saw this film three times in theaters when I was little and balled my eye's out each time, and you know what, I went to see it again a couple of months ago during it's 20th anniversary re-release and it got me all over again! Pure cinema magic in that film throughout.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
the Omaha beach landing in Saving Private Ryan.
I'll second this one.
It's hard to imagine any other single motion picture scene emitting as much realistic and terrifying imagery as this lengthy scene in Saving Private Ryan. Leaves you thinking about the horror of it for days afterward.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The final part of the 3-panel tryptich of Abel Gance's Napoleon. Starting with Bonaparte on the tip of a hill and ending with the tri-color...

It's the best piece of filmmaking, IMO.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Some other good ones for me.........
Chariot race in Ben-Hur (1959).
Parting of Red Sea in The Ten Commandments (1956).
This one's not as "epic" as the two above.....but (for me anyway), Jurassic Park 1 has one of the best "sends-tingles-down-your-spine" scenes: When we see the dinosaurs for the very first time! :)
And then there's the climatic scene in The China Syndrome....another beaut.
And....Several different horrific scenes in The Exorcist.
Another one in a somewhat lesser-known film that I think is excellent is the very last shot in The Bad Seed (original 1956 version). Lightning strikes pier and no more Bad Seed! A great ending.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Without a doubt, my favorite scene of all time has to be the rabbit sequence in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
The ending to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon ranks pretty high up there, too.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The only sequence that stunned me for 10 solid minutes after, was the Mines of Moria sequence in Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Fabulously edited, occasionally terrifying, action packed. My heart was in my skull throughout, throbbing wildly. So, that's my pick..
What he said.:D And the heart throbbing thing goes for all five times I've seen it.
A few more that stand out:
Saving Private Ryan -The beach landing. The part with the most impact for me is when the gates on the transport boat open and the first line of guys gets completely torn apart.
On The Waterfront -The priest's sermon in the hold, which is of course overshadowed by another favorite scene, "I coulda been a contenda."
LOTR:FOTR -The whole movie, but mostly Moria, mentioned above, the prologue, and the opening scenes in the Shire.
Fight Club -Middle children of history, Lou, Raymond K. Hessel
Heat -The bank shootout and Pacino and Deniro's sitdown in the coffee shop.
Godfather -Opening scene w/ Don Corleone and the undertaker, "We didn't have enough time."
Patton -The general's introductory speech.
Unforgiven-Everything from, "It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man" till the end.
I could go on like this all night, but I'll limit myself to these for now.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
When Judah Ben-Hur finds his mother and sister in the leper colony.

Higgins' reaction to Eliza Dolittle's return at the end of My Fair Lady.

Han Solo plunging out of the sky in the Millenium Falcon right before Luke destroys the Death Star.

Oskar Schindler's "I could have done more" scene near the end of "Schindler's List".

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
... when Dr. Frankenfurter first reveals his err... "undergarments" while singing 'Sweet Transvestite'
Fight Club
"Let me tell you a little bit about Tyler Durden"
the "Mid-Air Collision" scene
the "Chemical Burn" scene
Star Wars Luke standing in front of the dual sunset... looking over the sand dunes.
Han Solo meets up with Greedo.
Darth Vader and Obi Wan's fight.
The Empire Strikes Back
The Hoth Battle
Luke and Darth Vader's Battle on Bespin
Return of the Jedi
The Final Battle
Brazil
The "Buttle/Tuttle" arrest mixup
The Restaurant Scene
The Ending
Clerks
Death Star Contractors
Mallrats
There is no Easter Bunny!
Operation "Fly Fat-ass Fly!"
Chasing Amy
What is a Nubian?
Holden confesses his love (awww :) )
This is Spinal Tap
"If I told them once, I told them 100 times... to put Spinal Tap first and Puppet Show last"
18" Stonehenge
This one goes to 11!
Silence of the Lambs
Clarice meets Hannibal Lecter for the first time.
Saving Private Ryan
Normandy beach assault
Army of Darkness
The "Pit Witch" scene
"This is my BOOMSTICK!"
"Clatoo... verata... n...nn...."
And that is just a PARTIAL LIST ;)

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
Most moving: Glory (the whipping scene)
Scariest: Jacob's Ladder (the "hospital" scene)
Disturbing: Requiem for a Dream (the last 20 min.)
Romantic: A Beautiful Mind (the "stars/umbrella" scene)--or--the end of Rocky
Funniest: Clerks ("37")
Sexiest: From Dusk till Dawn (Salma)
...just to name a few :)

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
My favorite scene is also from GoodFellas, but it's a smaller, subtler part: The part where the guys are cooking the food in prison. I especially love seeing the razor blade cutting the garlic so thin that it would "liquify in the pan." That is my favorite movie moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks