Whats Your Favorite K-Cup?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Northgun, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Is David's Tea a chain store like Teavana?
    Thanks; yeah she probably does get a bit more love than she deserves. Surprisingly, AJ happens to be my favorite as well. I actually did a custom T-shirt with her on it because I couldn't find anything with her on it. I managed to turn it into an economics (which is one of my other interests) t-shirt too using one of AJ's quotes. Do you watch the show at all?

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

I looked up Teavana and, yes, it is the same business model as David's Tea. David's Tea is the Canadian equivalent of Teavana which is apparently now owned by Starbucks. Site: http://www.davidstea.com

Regarding the show, yes, I do watch it. I kept seeing quite the internet ruckus over it and, being a long time fan of animation in general, I decided to take a look at it. I really didn't expect much out of it considering its past history, but I have to admit that I got kind of hooked on it after watching a couple of eps. I went back and watched all three seasons. The character designs are actually decent for once and there is some real production values in terms of the animation quality, the BG music and the voice acting. They managed to get a very good voice cast for this iteration. I know it is a little kid's show, but so far I have actually enjoyed it. Sometimes it is just nice to see a show that doesn't rely on toilet humour, nihilistic "heroes" and extreme violence or sex which seems to be inundating TV today. Sometimes, after watching TV, a person feels like they have swum ten miles up a sewer line. Sometimes, it is just nice to forget for 22 minutes about how crappy the world really can be.

The really amazing thing about the whole bloody phenomenon is the amount of fan works generated by the thing. It runs the gamut from said sewer to near pro work, For example, Jananimation's stuff like "Picture Perfect Pony" or "Don't Mine at Night". It is actually quite good work, considering that he is doing it as a fan. Hard to believe that he single-handedly animates all of his shorts. From what I have heard Flash is not the easiest program to use when animating complex characters. There is a Philpino fellow that makes some really neat automata based on the characters. Of course, I guess I don't really have to tell you all of this stuff. After all, you created your own shirt based on it.

There was a "Grey Market" shirt of AJ out of Ireland. It was basically a play on those old advertising parody stickers. In this particular case, it was a parody shirt for Apple Jacks Cereal.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
  4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Looking at that, I doubt that a single serving K-cup brewer would be able to match something like that as far as taste goes. K-cups are a convenient, quick, no mess way of making a cup of coffee. I still don't think they would compare in taste to a more traditional brewing method such as that.

5. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    They are very similar. I am still interested in visiting one so I'll have to see if there is one near guelph university when I go tour the university.

Its crazy how similar how we were introduced to MLP as well as why we watch it is. I was exposed to it in the political debate forums and the Ron Paul campaign I was the photographer for. A lot of the people I talked to online or at events had MLP related t-shirts and avatars. I was puzzled by the whole thing and decided to youtube the show. When the first MLP intro theme came on, I quickly turned it off lol. It wasn't until I got netflix did I give the show a real chance and when I did I was hooked. The funny thing is, though, my cousin and I put it on as a joke to make my wife think we were watching the show when she got home from work. Instead we all got hooked on it. It truly is a great break from regular movies and TV shows. I too, was just tired of all the violence and smut, so MLP became the escape from it.
    As far as all the fan made stuff goes, Im hooked too. I've put together 5 "pony CDs" as my wife and I have come to call them of fan made music (everything from ballads to techno). We love the fan made videos, its crazy how great the quality is. We discovered jananimations because of the Button's Adventures pilot. We also really enjoy the fan made episode Snow Drop and find the fluffle puff videos to be down right hilarious. All in all, its been a lot of fun.

6. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    How close does the Dunkin' Donuts K-cup come to their actually in house coffee? Also, how bitter do you find it? Is the Starbucks Breakfast Blend a strong coffee?

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Teavana has some good stuff. Over-priced...but good.

That is where I got my Zojirushi CWD-40(I think that is correct???) water boiler for $75. Inexplicably had them on clearance.

8. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    You got a pretty good deal there. I have yet to run into one of those for under 100 bucks. Amazon has it for 107 (which is much lower than Teavana's in store price).

9. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Like all the reviews. Just buy one. Matter of fact, two 20(available that small? or just the 30). There are times I wish I had two water temps. Most teas need 208, but 208 blows instant hot chocolate away. There are times 175 would be preferred.

And before you think that is "daft" to have two. We fill ours up 2-3 times a day, now that it is cold. Even in the summer, at least twice. Lipton iced tea bags. We have an 8cup(as much water as the "iced tea bags" are meant for) glass pitcher and do 2-3 of those a day.

And 208 is hot enough for Ramen.

10. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I'm no coffee expert but I'd describe Dunkin's as a medium roast that is NOT bitter. And yes, in my one experimental box of their K-cups, I found that using the medium-size cup setting (which I keep forgetting to check but I think it's 8 oz.) does indeed come close to the strength and flavor of their in-house coffee. In fact, WAY closer than what I used to get by buying their beans and throwing them into a run-of-the-mill automatic drip brewer from which most everything tastes the same.

Starbucks Breakfast Blend is also labeled a Medium Roast, which is what I prefer; i.e., a "regular" roast, not a dark roast like a French Roast or Espresso. My preference in K-cups is Medium Roast, Extra Bold -- because insofar as there are any labeling standards at all, that "Extra Bold" seems to mean you'll get a stronger cup.

11. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    Wife and I love our Keurig!

Regular roasts: I love strong coffee, so Black Tiger is my go-to morning coffee. My wife likes a lighter roast, so she defaults to Donut Shop light roast for her morning first cup.

For flavored, we try them all but our favorites would have to be Creme Caramel (Wolfgang Puck), Hazelnut (Gloria Jean), and Jamaican Me Crazy (Wolfgang Puck). We also like Cinnamon Roll, Chocolate Glazed Donut, and French Toast.

12. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    I have you to try the Cinnamon Roll, Chocolate Glazed Donut, and French Toast. I came pretty close to picking them up quite a few times, but usually opted to try something else. I'll have to try some next!

13. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Thanks for the input. I'll be ordering some Dunkin Donuts coffee instead of what I normally do. My wife picked up some of Starbucks coffee today.

14. cocophone

cocophone Auditioning

Robert
    Nothing but Tully's French Roast for me. It's almost a fire able offence when they forget to order more at work. -----------------"Why am I me and why not you? Why am I here and why not there? When did time begin and where does space end?" - Wings of Desire

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I dont like the hot chocolate cups. they aren't anything more then the same thing that's in the hot coco packets and these cups don't dissolve all the powder out of the k-cup into the mug

16. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    I've had a similar experience with the hot chocolate. Wasn't impressed at all. I've tried a couple of different brands now and still haven't found one I like. The chocolate taste just seems so weak.

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    With the one box I did buy, after two or three cups I just started opening them and dumping the chocolate powder into the cup.

18. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Thats actually a good idea lol, I'll have to do that with the rest of the swiss miss I have.

19. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Normally, I'm not fussy for herbal teas. I did try the one that came in the sample pack included with my machine: Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Herbal Tea. It is probably the only herbal tea that I could drink without any sugar. Smelt strongly of Spearmint. Not bad. I may get more of it if I can find it.

20. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

I drink regular, decaf coffee. It's surprising, but it's often hard to find. So many places serve Espresso, creamy, hazelnut. vanilla flavored coffees that they look at me like I'm some kind of alien species. You want what? Don't think we even do that.

I've got a great coffee maker at home, set to a timer, grinds whole beans and does a great job, so just make my own for now.