What's new

What's with this trend of BD's with no main menu that just starts right away? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind not defaulting to a menu, but what I can't stand is when a BD automatically starts into the movie and doesn't default into the highest bit rate audio track!

Too often WB BDs start on Dolby Digital 448 or 640kbps rather than with the Dolby TrueHD track.

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator
The thing that drives me crazy is that it seems, to me at least, that some studios are using parts of the movie in the menus on a more frequent basis with blu-ray. I cannot stress enough how much I hate seeing parts of a movie that I am just about to watch showing up in the main menu. I would rather have a super-bit type menu if need be.

Menus can be inventive and cool but it is just a cheap cop-out to use parts of the movie in the main menu.

Sorry for the rant but this has been driving me nuts lately.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by FrankT

The thing that drives me crazy is that it seems, to me at least, that some studios are using parts of the movie in the menus on a more frequent basis with blu-ray. I cannot stress enough how much I hate seeing parts of a movie that I am just about to watch showing up in the main menu. I would rather have a super-bit type menu if need be.

Menus can be inventive and cool but it is just a cheap cop-out to use parts of the movie in the main menu.

Sorry for the rant but this has been driving me nuts lately.
Off the top of my head, Zodiac and Serenity are two blu-rays that do this pretty extensively. In a few weeks, my wife and I are going to be premiering Serenity for some Firefly-loving friends, and I am going to cue up the film past the menu before they arrive, for this reason. The menus spoil a few scenes.

I don't mean to stray too off-topic from the original intent of this thread, which was to discuss BD menus that launch straight into the movie, but I cannot go without mentioning the absolutely jaw-dropping Sleeping Beauty main menu. Each time I've loading up this film, the weather and time of day are different in the animated landscape (sometimes dark and stormy, sometimes a still quiet night, sometimes a beautiful spring day).

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Warners should be applauded for starting the film directly without out all those menus getting in the way. I get the BD to see the film not menus and I hope other studios follow Warners example. You can always bring up the menu as set out above if you need it.

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
Personally, I like the discs that default to a menu...it allows you to pop in the disc and just let it start up while you go grab a chair or popcorn or whatever, rather than having to wait there (or worse, rush back) as the movie starts automatically and then pause it. But it is a personal choice, and I have no real huge beef with the movie starting automatically.

What I really miss are the inventive menu screens that some discs have. I realize it must cost more money/more time to program and create such menus, but they really make the experience something special. The Alien Legacy box set (before the Quadrilogy) is superior to the latter set only for the menus, which are really fun. On the flip side of that, of course, are the menus that try to be too showy and flashy and end up being annoying to navigate...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by john a hunter

Warners should be applauded for starting the film directly without out all those menus getting in the way. I get the BD to see the film not menus and I hope other studios follow Warners example. You can always bring up the menu as set out above if you need it.
I'll applaud them if-and-when they've not only addressed the default soundtrack issue for future releases, but have also done it for already released titles so I don't keep having to wonder if I'm rewatching a Warner title that needs the audio changed. That issue still peeves me a bit at times whenever I rewatch an older DVD (and don't want to have to look it up, etc. etc. first). :f And yes, you read me right. I do mean they should try to fix the default issue for old releases too considering the format has more capability to allow something like that now (than DVD ever did). Either that or it'd be great if player makers can offer new players (and firmware updates for old ones) that allow us to override the authoring on those old titles so we don't need to continue to remember to do it manually for them (like I do w/ older DVDs).

Another related problem w/ BD autostart that's worse than DVD is all the non-standard ways menus, etc. are authored now. This default-and-auto-start issue is just not limited to the soundtrack (and subtitles), but also to alternate versions of the film on the same disc, if/when that's offered. I still remember not being sure which version of I Am Legend got autostarted when I watched it the first time partly because I hadn't gotten used to Warner's approach to BD menu design yet -- and I still can't say I'm all that used to them, especially for picking alternate versions of a film...

_Man_

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

I don't mind not defaulting to a menu, but what I can't stand is when a BD automatically starts into the movie and doesn't default into the highest bit rate audio track!

Too often WB BDs start on Dolby Digital 448 or 640kbps rather than with the Dolby TrueHD track.
They made the intelligent choice of having their BDs start with an audio track that they know the player can play back, and not risk people returning the movie because "the sound doesn't work". I can't help but feel that their new philosophy will bite them on the ass soon...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by ATimson

They made the intelligent choice of having their BDs start with an audio track that they know the player can play back, and not risk people returning the movie because "the sound doesn't work". I can't help but feel that their new philosophy will bite them on the ass soon...
No it won't, because Warner is doing what they've always done and what is, in fact, required by the BD spec: including a DD "compatability track" with the TrueHD track (DD being a required format for Blu-ray, and TrueHD being an optional one). If the player does not have TrueHD capability or is set in such a way that TrueHD can't be played, the disc "falls back" to the DD track. This is how Sony has always mastered their Blu-rays, and I am not aware of Sony getting reports of sound not working, even though Sony's DD "compability track" generally isn't even listed as a menu option.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't like discs that just start playing the program, especially TV series where I want to be able to select which episode I'm going to watch. A quick loading menu is my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks