What's new

What's with The Neverending Story? (1 Viewer)

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
As this is my first post on this forum, I'll try to be brief and coherent. After anxiously reading several DVD review sites (DigitalBits, DVDFile, etc...) for ANY news on The Neverending Story, I haven't found any review or specifications as to what is going to be on the disk. I find this odd as many movies have been reviewed on these sites that won't be available for several weeks or months from now. Even the Warner DVD site shows a scan of the box cover and gives no other specifics.
Anyway, as yesterday was new release day I stopped by Best Buy to check out what is on the disk. Reading the back of the package it turns out it is a flip disk with P&S on one side and W/S on the other. As for supplements there is a trailer or two and cast bios. That's about it.
I didn't buy the disk out of fear that in a few months there may be a special edition. Or is this not a movie as popular as Princess Bride, which just got the special edition treatment. I’m a big fan of commentaries so Dogma and Twister come to mind of disks that I've bought twice. So to anyone who may know any "inside info" is there a remote chance of a "better" version of Neverending Story getting released in the near or distant future?
Ok sorry this wasn't really a short post but I feel better now that I got all of that out of me.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Warner is the only studio out there you have nothing to fear from. if they release an older film with a new 16x9 transfer, then that's it. Nothing else coming down the road, so buy and be happy. It's a great DVD.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
What about The Fugitive? They rereleased that. Not to mention Twister, among others.
But at least with Warner, they make better decisions concerning rereleases. They are not like Univeral, who will put out "Ultimate Editions" that have practically the same material as a previous release and promotional materials for the sequel.
If there is a special edition planned, it is more likely a very distant future release.
I would not hesitate to buy the current release waiting for a special edition. Everything I hear says the presantation quality is great (can't wait to find out for myself). It is also reasonably priced.
I would not feel cheated if they decided to do a special edition a couple years down the road.
Now if there is one in the works that they are not telling us about, that is a different story.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

The Fugitive was one of the very first DVD's to hit the market, and it showed. It was in need of a re-release.
Twister was part of a 5 disk agreement WB had with DTS (Twister, Lethal Weapon 1, 2, 3, and Interview with a Vampire). That's why it was re-released.
I wouldn't expect a new version of Neverending Story any time soon.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys,
I'll probably pick it up today then. At least it is in widescreen, which I've never seen that movie in.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I'll agree that if theres one thing that I like about Warner, is they usually try to do their best the first time out the door. They do not subscribe to the Universal Ultimate Edition school of thought, and when Warner does release a movie, thats gonna be it for the next few years.
As already stated, they did re-release Twister and the Fugitive, but those were originally 1st generation DVD discs that NEEDED to be released.
Warner is SUPPOSED to be working on re-releases of Amadeus and GoodFellas, and I must say, they arent working fast enough, because I'd replave my flippers of those movies in a heartbeat!!!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I personally was impressed with the transfer on the DVD. Very nice widescreen transfer, it's amazing how much was lost in the pan and scan. It was treat to watch...definately.
And the trailer is interesting, because the shot of the book has the German translation of the title. Cool, huh?
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."
[Edited last by Nate Anderson on September 06, 2001 at 11:49 AM]

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I think the reason why Twister and others from Warner were re-done, is because they had a contract with DTS so Warner had to pick 5 titles. :) Otherwise, there would have been no Twister SE or Lethal Weapons DTS, etc.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, Batman: SE ('89) will be next. I just watched the original version recently and seeing it cleaned up properly would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks