What's up with Walmart,Sam's Club?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Richard F, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Richard F

Richard F Extra

I have been noticing almost no widescreen copies of recent releases on the shelves.There were about 50 copies of full screen Indiana Jones and The Matrix,no widescreen. Have they given up on the serious home theater enthiusiasts and are now catering the morons who only buy the "no black lines" crap?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

It must be your location. I have never failed to find widescreen copies of new releases/blockbusters at any Wal-Mart in my town.

Contact the manager and inquire about this...simplify things by saying you own a widescreen TV (whether you do or not) and ask him why can't you take advantage of buying your widescreen DVDs there while you are also in the store buying clothes, toys, car supplies, etc. Make sure he understands that you want to give him the business but that he's not stocking what you're looking for, and that you know other Wal-Marts are because you have friends and family in other cities who buy widescreen DVDs at Wal-Mart all the time.

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The more managers of Wal-Marts who are asked to stock widescreen, the more managers will do it. They won't if you don't.

4. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    Maybe they've already sold out of all the widescreen and they can't get rid of those blasted fullscreen copies?

5. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

Even though I think Jeff was being sarcastic, he's pretty close to the mark from where I sit. I've noticed that, over the last six months especially, WM has increasingly sold more and more widescreen copies of films and less and less of their pan-and-scan counterparts.

Take for instance "The Matrix Reloaded." The Super WM near me stocked about 70-30 in favor of pan-and-scan (which I expected), but by the end of the second day, there was not a single widescreen copy to be found, and they still had nearly all (I'd say about twenty copies had been sold) of their pan-and-scan copies. Hence, all WM has in stock are pan-and-scan and they aren't going to order more because from where they sit, they still have plenty of "Reloaded" discs on the shelves.

I've got to agree with David, in that I've never really had a problem finding widescreen discs at various WMs over the years. I will say, as I did before, that they still order a majority of pan-and-scan discs when stocking, but they do (at least initially) order a decent amount of widescreen copies on new releases as well. It's just a case of being at the right place at the right time.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    What Jeff said. I walked by the "Hulk" display in my store last night and all the lower levels (where the widescreen copies were stocked) were empty with just two rows of FS remaining on the top.

But they have "market research" that tells them people prefer FS you know. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross Second Unit

In Ebert's column today, there is a similar Q&A about Best Buy. They appear to only stock P&S because they have sold out there WS.