What's new

What's up with Death Race 2000? (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
With David Carradine snuffing it earlier today, I thought I'd pay my respects by putting on some high quality schlock. I reach for my copy of Death Race 2000, when it dawns on me - wait a moment, I dont have Death Race?!? How the hell did that happen!

Anyway, checking the usual online sources to pick up a copy - the thing seems to be out of print! Is that a correct assessment, or am I just not seeing any copies for sale. I figure with that crappy remake having come and gone, Roger Corman would be pimping the hell out of his old flick. Or is some super sexy deluxe edition just around the corner?

(On that same note, I dont believe that Parhana isnt in my collection either - and no sign of it on DVD. Am I just missing something here?)

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Death Race 2000 went out of print prior to the remake being released. Needless to say, the window to take advantage of the remake has since closed so your guess is as good as anyone's if we'll be seeing a reissue anytime soon.

You can always pick up "Cannonball" if you want to do the schlocky homage. It's very Corman-esque. ;)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Actually, Death Race 2000 has been released 3 times on DVD: once by Image, once by Concorde/New Horizons, and most recently by BVHE in 2005 as part of their licencing agreement with Roger Corman. Unfortunately, all three are out of print and FWIW, the first two were open matte transfers; only the BVHE is 16:9, and hard to get your hands on.

walter o

Supporting Actor

I might be wrong, but wasnt the BVHE of DEATH RACE has much stronger violence? Also the BVHE has an audio commentary so it is a fun disc.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Judging by the price, I'm going to assume THIS is the BVHE edition, right?

So didn't Roger shoot all his movies open matte? So while getting the widescreen version would be best, I guess I could live with one of the other versions (my pocket book will thank me
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
). So of the two not 70 dollar versions, is there a preferable one?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
If you consider eBay as selling it, then yes. Nobody is selling it new...at least not in R1.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
When it was released last, it was released matted in 1.85. While I'm all for OAR, the framing to me was obviously intended for 1.33. For me, it's a little hard to watch this disc. I would prefer the open matte.

Frankenstein, a dear friend of mine, may you RIP.

juda

Agent
Real Name
Judy

I knew that it had been released before, i'm having trouble getting my hands on it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks