What's new

What's the word on Lost Highway? (1 Viewer)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Excellent news! Thanks for the head's up. I hope the NBC deal doesn't affect any of Universal's DVD plans.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Great news! Haven't been to Dugpa for a while...it's also good to see that Wild at Heart is finally on the way.

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator

This better be true. I can't wait to get a decent release of Lost Highway.

It's strange how some well respected films get treated when it comes to DVD.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
So the trial is finally over and Robert Blake has been accquited. Can someone please get Lost Highway on the fast track for release now? It's been done for what...like 2 years?

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
From Dugpa.com

March 17th 2005

Actor Robert Blake Found Not Guilty = Good News for Lost Highway DVD

Yesterday, actor Robert Blake was found not guilty of the murder of Bonny Lee Bakley. Rumor in Hollywood was that Universal was holding back the Lost Highway DVD release until the murder trial blew over fearing bad press for releasing a gilm which depicts Blake in a unsavory role. My guess is that we will see the release this year right around the time of the Dune DVD, which will likely appear Q4 of this year.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
How in the world could the Robert Blake trial being over have anything to do with the timing of this release?

If anything, they should have capitalized on whatever small notoriety the trial may have brought. I just don't believe for a second that the folks at Universal were thinking "we sure would like to release this bizarre little mindfuck of a movie on an unsuspecting populace, but we're afraid Mr. Blake's legal troubles might cast a negative light upon it and thus... I don't know ...reduce sales?"

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It's a reason why I wouldn't buy the Police Squad movies or series, if OJ is in them. Don't want my money supporting murderers. Course for Lost Highway I'll make an exception.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Will-

I don't enjoy the Police Squad films either, and I used to. It isn't so much that I don't want to fund an alleged murder (heck, I buy stuff made by large "evil" corporations all the time!), it is that OJ personal life now causes every scene he is in to have "too much distraction" from the fun of the movies.

Too bad they cannot CGI him out of the films.

But, back to Lost Highway, delaying the release of this film on DVD because of Blake's person plight didn't make much sense to me. This is a creepy film, and Blake is strange it in. Therefore, it doesn't "distract" me from the film any more than knowing that Gene Tierney was upset at the time Laura was made due to the issues surrounding her newborn daughter's autism.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nothing against the fabulous Dugpa site but how many times have they heard word about Twin Peaks: Season Two coming out 'later this year' and it never happens? They always say that it is rumor so it's not like they are deliberately misleading anyone but what I'm saying is that this info is probably incorrect as well (at least about the reasons why it hasn't been released).

I don't think that Universal's decision to release or not release Lost Highway has anything to do with Robert Blake. It's not like the Robert Blake trial was really that big of news. Most people still don't know (or care) who he is. And outside of the start and the outcome of the trial, it wasn't that big of a story.

Let's not forget, In Cold Blood wasn't pulled from the shelves due to the Blake character killing people.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
"Too bad they cannot CGI him out of the films."

I'd like to see Gollum there. They could do a branching function where you could see either OJ (for the purists) or Gollum.

Travis I tend to agree with you - it seems unlikely that an obscure back catalogue release like Lost Highway (and that's what it is - an obscure film) would be held up by anything other than lack-of-effort on the part of label.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
I've read about the Robert Blake rumor as well, but it was from someone on here about a year back.

Although the Season 2 DVD set seems like it will never get released, everything else I've read on Dugpa.com has been spot on.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I've read about the Robert Blake rumor as well, but it was from someone on here about a year back.
Yes I started that one!

For those of you who don’t care for O.J. in the Police Squad movies some good news for you he isn’t in them. Although, he’s known to have made an appearance or two in the Naked Gun franchise!

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I had no issues with the UK version; after all the rumours, I picked it up a year ago really cheap; it would have to be a very special edition indeed (a la Blue Velvet) for me to double-dip on this one.

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
It's a reason why I wouldn't buy the Police Squad movies or series, if OJ is in them. Don't want my money supporting murderers.
From what I understand, all income that OJ receives with the exception of his pension must go directly to the Goldman and Brown families, because of their civil suit. So OJ never even sees any royalties from the films.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Travis I tend to agree with you - it seems unlikely that an obscure back catalogue release like Lost Highway (and that's what it is - an obscure film) would be held up by anything other than lack-of-effort on the part of label.

I wouldn't call any film by a director of the stature of David Lynch an "obscure back catalogue" film. Walk the racks of any video store and you'll see hundreds of titles more deserving of that label. I think there is some truth to the PR rumors along with loads of legal hurdles and ownership changes of the title that is holding this fantastic film back.

Every other Lynch film is out of DVD at this point. Lets hope this one makes it to the stores soon. IMO, this is the best film Lynch ever made.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Robert Blake (and Universal) reminds me that the seminal film of his early career, 'Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here' is still awaiting a DVD release by Universal. Maybe they'll eventually get around to this one as well.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Although the Season 2 DVD set seems like it will never get released, everything else I've read on Dugpa.com has been spot on
Amen. The stuff with TP Season 2 had to do with Artisan's reluctance to proceed as planned, and then Lion's Gate buyout, followed by the shifting of the rights from LG to Paramount. Dugpa was always first to report the new information.

Not to sound like the Bush administration, but Dugpa's reporting is only as good as the information that exists. If Artisan is willing to say "Season 2 is coming out this year" and then changes their collective mind, that's hardly Dugpa's mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks