What's new

What's the Optimum Version of T2? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Oh man, I said I was a "big" T2 fan and I haven't even watched the Easter egg cuts! What can I say, lousy memory for the egg and lazy oughta do it!

The extended cut on the UE has some scenes that I just can't help noticing they're missing. They're not critical and don't change the story like some deleted scenes might or alternate endings do. They're just details/episodes in the story that, like a little kid you're telling a favorite story to, you are reminded if you leave them out...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If you haven't watched the "easter egg" cut, then what scenes do you notice that are missing from the extended cut? The only version of T2 longer than the extended cut is the "easter egg" cut from the "Ultimate Edition" DVD. If you haven't seen it, how can you miss its extra scenes?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I don't know what I watch, now that you try to pin me down! But I have a post-it on the T2 UE cover with instructions (title 3 etc.) so whatever that version is, that's the one I always watch. I just watch the Extreme version from the main menu, whatever that's called. I never watch DVD's on my PC so have never seen those versions.

I'm a "big fan" of the movie versions I've seen. How's that? It's embarassing enough to say that T2 is your favorite movie, and I've got them going back to practically the "beginning" (what's available on DVD)...

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this debatable subject....

I caved and purchased the Extreme Edition with the skull slipcase and all for $7.50 at Wal Mart or Target; I forget already!

Here are my thoughts.....picture quality from the high def master was excellent.....probably the best this film will ever look for the standard def DVD medium. But the Dolby EX track was very unremarkable to me....dialogue came and went in clarity and punch, and the volume of the track wasnt that hot....the surround effects and activity itself was not that great either; did anyone else find this with the Extreme's Dolby EX track? Is the DTS mix on the Ultimate Edition ultimately better?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Since T2 is one of my all-time favorite films, this is one of the rare instances where I own 2 copies of the same movie on DVD. I've got the Ultimate Edition for the fantastic collection of bonus materials and the Extreme Edition for the great PQ when I want to watch the film(even though the DTS track on the UE is better).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Personally I think the DD track on the extreme edition is powerful and offers a rather open soundstage....but that is me.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I bought both editions for $9.99 each, so I look at it as an inexpensive 4-disc SE. The EE's video quality is practically flawless. The DTS and DD mixes are virtually identical, so it's not like it matters much. The only problem is that it's limited by the constraints of NTSC. The UE's only purpose now is the 2nd disc (or 2nd side like my DVD-18). The interactive mode and audio commentary on the Extreme Edition make it the best presentation of a film I've seen. The supplements on the 2nd disc are kind of boring, but I enjoyed the HD version. Basically, keep the EE's first disc and UE's second disc together for the most comprehensive version.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Actually, I don't recall seeing the "Future Coda" TV cut on the Extreme Edition -- you get the Director's Cut on Disc 1, and the 1080p theatrical transfer on Disc 2, but to my knowledge the only place the "Future Coda" version is viewable is on the UE.

Both DVD sets are indispensible (for different reasons), though.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
No, again it is viewable in the enhanced viewing mode (it's been retransfered too) on the EE disc.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
"even though the DTS track on the UE is better)."

THIS is what I was afraid of....does anyone else agree with Brent on this? I am KICKING myself for getting the EXTREME version with the Dolby EX mix.....:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks for your thoughts Kevin; I did not find the same results through my system, and it is, in fact, calibrated....the surround effects loop sometimes sounds "flat" and "dated" even with the EX encoding scheme and the overall "feel" of the track does not seem so "punchy" or "heavy" as a comparable DTS mix would.....

Can anyone else confirm that the DTS mix on the ULTIMATE edition sounds "better"?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
"The DTS and DD mixes are virtually identical, so it's not like it matters much."

Can anyone else confirm this statement by Patrick?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yes I can confirm it. The DTS version on the UE was SIGNIFICANTLY different from the UE's Dolby EX track with some jacked up sound effects. The EE DDEX track uses the same mix elements as the DTS except it's not nearly as loud, hence the "almost identical".

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Ahhhhhh shit.....Joel, if you are correct, I am really kicking myself for buying the Extreme Edition....are you saying that the DTS mix on the ULTIMATE cut is SIGNIFICANTLY LOUDER than the DD EX track on the EXTREME cut?

Did ANYONE else find this, as well? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Um..........OH...you mean price wise! I didn't understand what you meant for a second. Yes, he is absolutely correct, you can get the ExE for $5.00 at Walmart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks