What's new

What's the Optimum Version of T2? (1 Viewer)

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
Artisan has a few versions of this floating around out there, and some of the cuts are out of print if I am not mistaken; according to Home Theater Magazine's Top 100 DVDs master list ("Build the Ultimate DVD Collection!" issue), the T2 version that is mentioned in their "Best Overall" listing depicts the version with the silver raised terminator skull on it (Extreme Edition) as being the definitive and best of all the versions of this title to come out thus far.....is this the version with the DTS track, and if so, is this one still in print? I was in Target yesterday, and noticed that for $9.44 (where do they come up with these prices?) the version of T2 was available with the plain flat black keepcase (with Arnold's face with the sunglasses on front), but this contained the Dolby EX audio track, no DTS....what is the definitive version of this DVD release? Is the Dolby EX track on Target's offered version aggressive enough to warrant a purchase, or should the Extreme Edition with the silver cover and "skull" art still available....and does this contain the DTS audio mix?

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Get the Extreme Edition DVD, whether it has the metal slipcase or not doesn't make a difference (actually the metal case scratches up the DVD keepcase itself, so that's a minus in my book). No DTS like the Ultimate Edition, but an excellent video transfer on disc 1 and a HD .wmv version of the film on disc 2. DTS is overrated anyway *runs away before I get mobbed by DTS fanboys* ;)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I own both; the Ultimate Edition for the sheer quantity of supplements -- a true "film-school-on-DVD" -- and the Extreme Edition for the new 1080p transfer and James Cameron audio commentary, though of course there's no DTS on the Extreme version.

With both the Cameron track and text-supplements activated, commentary junkies receive a dizzying fix. And, as mentioned above, there's also the new HD transfer of the original theatrical cut on the Extreme set, if you're weird like that. Though, by no means pass up the Ultimate Edition if you're wanting the final, all-encompassing feeding frenzy of every last scintilla of behind-the-scenes info on the film's production (sans, obviously, the audio commentary).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I Had the UE and now have the EE mainly because of the fairly big improvement in PQ. I do miss having the extra soundtrack though.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Gonna pick up the Extreme Edition this week. Best Buy has it for a buy one get one free deal.

I own the first "Live video" version. Lol, it had a audio track for blind people.

Also own the "Ultimate Edition"...get this one if you want a plethora of extras.

Get the Extreme for the best presentation of the film itself. Plus it comes with a HD version on disc 2.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I have both the Ultimate Edition and the Extreme. It's all down to prefference really. The Extreme Edition lacks extras (despite the excelent audio commentary) but the Dolby Digital EX track is based off of the DTS-ES mix on UE and sounds almost as good.

I imagine we will have a set with the best of both worlds when the Blu-ray edition hits.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
I have both editions too. Basically, get the Extreme Edition for the PQ and the Ultimate for the bonus features they didn't include on the Extreme.

But if you don't care about the extras, get the Extreme Edition. No doubt about it.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
the audio is incorrect for all versions anyways (ultimate/extreme)...it pisses me off...on the 5.1 mixes (Dolby or DTS) the music is Left front and Right front has a lean to the left of the soundstage...anything that should be centered between the speakers appears left-of-center...

...oddly enough it is correct on the 2.0 surround soundtrack on the same disc. sit between you speakers and hear for yourself...just skip to the chapter with "Bad to the Bone" playing and you'll hear it immediately. it's with the whole music soundtrack, btw...

Mike

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
Hi Guys,

Thanks alot for all the replies. Im a bit confused though....which version has the DTS track -- is that the Extreme Edition with the raised terminator skull "T2" front cover...does the Extreme have the DTS track? The one I noticed in Target had a flat, black keepcase for $9.44 but only had a Dolby EX mix; are both tracks pretty much identical or does one stand out in any way?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
Hi Again, Guys....

Found this on The Digital Bits:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/t2ultimate.html

...and according to Bill's review, this version (which is the one I saw at Target that I mentioned, the Ultimate Edition) contains a Dolby EX track AND a DTS ES track....I didnt notice this when I looked at it in Target, but is this true? Does this version hold the DTS ES mix as well? If so, I will just get this version.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the ultimate edition is the one with the DTS track. I own both versions.
they are both good for differnt reasons.

Jacob

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks Seppo....then I'll probably pop for the ULTIMATE EDITION....funny thing is, I did not notice the labeling of a "DTS ES" track on the back of the box for T2 ULTIMATE EDITION when I read it....just a Dolby EX mix...was it mislabeled?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks Jacob....thats the concensus Im getting here....and that is the one with Arnold's face on the flat keepcase in mostly black, correct? The EXTREME is the one with the "raised skull T2" cover, yes?

Funny thing is, the rear of the box of the ULTIMATE EDITION does not mention anything about a DTS ES track.....:crazy:

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
Thank you very much everyone for helping me out with this; it's just going to be a matter of preference now and decision-making on my behalf regarding which version to pick up...

Some things to consider: is the video transfer on the Ultimate Edition that bad off compared to the Extreme Edition as to not warrant buying the Ultimate for the DTS mix? Is the Dolby EX audio really just as good and aggressive on the Extreme as the DTS ES on the Ultimate? Which of the two really has the best video quality?

Thank you again for all the help and guidance; it is much appreciated!!

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks Greg!

A question: I cant seem to find a listing for the DTS ES track on the Ultimate Edition version, and I know the Extreme Edition only comes with a Dolby EX track, but would a retailer like Target sell the Extreme Edition perhaps without the silver slipcase over it and thats why I did not see a listing for DTS ES audio? Is the ULTIMATE still available even?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
HOLD ON! Don't buy anything yet until this is cleared up! :)

The newest batches of the Extreme Edition do not come with the slipcase. It was originally available with a metal slipcase that scratched up the inner case. This was later replaced with a cardboard slipcase with the same art. Target and Walmart now only sell it without the slipcase. It's practically the same art as the UE (the shot of Arnold with the sunglasses; though keep in mind that the UE also originally came in a metal then cardboard slipcase as well). Only difference is it says "Extreme Edition" on the left as opposed to "Schwarzenegger." So no, it does not have the DTS soundtrack.

The Ultimate Edition has been out of print for a while now, though it may still be found at DVD stores in malls, etc.

GregK

Screenwriter
If the tin cover is removed, The Extreme version has "Extreme" listed on the cover. I could see them ditching the tin cover now to cut costs.

..While the older Ultimate Edition is properly noted as the Ultimate Edition

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thank you very much for clearing this up more, Ray....indeed, I have held off buying it until I heard back from you guys!

Thats probably what is going on, that Target is selling the Extreme Edition without the slipcase and thats why I saw the "Dolby Digital EX" track only on the rear of the keepcase....and thank you for the heads up on the ULTIMATE EDITION being out of print....

Is the Dolby EX mix as "hot" as the DTS ES track was????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks