What's new

What's the new server gonna be? (1 Viewer)

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Subject says it all, what kind of specs are you getting?
reason I'm curious is I work for IBM and I might be able to convince the sales guy to do a really low balled price and save you guys some money. No advertising or anything like that required, just trying to help beyond sending money. IBM is very price competitve compared to Dell anyway.
Tom
------------------
My DVD Collection

RicP

Screenwriter
From what I know...Packy was going to go with Dell gear.
If I may though, I'd like to chime in my support for IBM servers. Especially if you're going to be running Linux (which Parker is planning to do). IBM will fully support their servers under Linux and in fact will build them for you if you so choose.
All the equipment in the IBM servers is Linux Friendly and works like a dream.
I run 7 e-Commerce web sites and they all run on IBM hardware. We have over 45 servers running either Windows2000 or a Custom build of Linux. They work wonderfully. :)
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
One of the posts in FF says that Parker & Ron will be needing $5000 for that new Dell server. Maybe you could inform us what you can get from IBM with $5000?

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Packy -
Are you adding one more server, or replacing it completely?
Curious to how you plan to scale this out...

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Will the server have more than one processor? Dual? Quad?
For that matter, is UBB or V-Bulletin smart enough to distribute the workload among multiple servers? Perhaps you can have two running and split the forums up among the servers.
------------------

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
We are building an entirely new server that is rack mounted with dual processors and more HDs in a RAID 5 config.
We are also going to be using Linux RedHat and it utilizes the dual processors well.
Parker

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
VBulletin could profit from a 2 server setup like all database based boards. But in my opinion it would be an overkill to buy a second one for MySQL.
An Oracle, MsSQL or even Postgres db based board should run on a two server rack.
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Parker, just checked out the specs of the Dell Poweredge 2550 you said you are getting. Looks like a good choice. You probably are already doing this, but if not - I highly recommend springing for the hot-swappable redundant power supplies. I've been responsible for a number of big ole' rack servers for several years and believe it or not the power supply is the component that fails the most. Having redundant power supplies has saved our bacon on more than one occasion.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Craig:
It will have 2 hotswap power supplies, hotswap HDs, PERC 3 2 channel RAID 5 with 128M cache, two Pentium III 1.26G CPU with 256K cache, 4 18G 10k HDs and 2G of ECC 133Mhz RAM.
Hopefully that will handle us a little while. :)
Parker

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Geez, it's amazing the kinda machine $5k gets you these days. That's a sweet little beast!
What is HTF currently running on?
[Edited last by Bill Slack on September 05, 2001 at 03:53 PM]

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
We are currently running a dual Pentium 600 with 1G of RAM and two 9.6G SCSI 10k HDs. So basically we are doubling the whole thing. Processors speed, HD storage space and RAM. We should notice a marked improvement over what we are having to deal with now.
I will probably try to work it were this is as seamless as possible so that all you will notice is the improvement in the speed of the site.
Parker

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It will have 2 hotswap power supplies, hotswap HDs, PERC 3 2 channel RAID 5 with 128M cache, two Pentium III 1.26G CPU with 256K cache, 4 18G 10k HDs and 2G of ECC 133Mhz RAM.
Wow!! I want one of those for my house!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Are you going to keep the other one around to? I assume the bulletin board uses some sort of tiered architecture to make it easy to break up. Of course, two machines == more rack space == more $$/month.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks