What's new

What's the latest on a Predator:SE? (1 Viewer)

John Simon

Second Unit
I know the SE of Predator was released in another region a long time ago, and I've been consistenly avoiding the temptation to buy the current Region 1 version. But I really want to buy this movie. Anyone know of concrete plans to release this in Region 1 anytime in the near future? I sure hope so...

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
In his recent (12/2/2002) HTF chat, Fox Home Video rep Peter Staddon said:

Not soon, but probably in mid 2003. Predator 2 wiill be coming out before that.
Unfortunately, if the disc were coming in mid 2003 it would probably already be announced at this point, but maybe we'll still get it before the end of the year.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
John,

I can't blame you for holding out, lord knows their's no bigger fan of Predator here than me. :) But to be honest, the current edition is a solid disc for the time being. The video is grainy at times, but then again the film IS grainy, always has been, and the audio is rock hard, especially the DTS track. The only thing missing are extra's.

Bring on that SE Fox, and while your at it, make another sequel already! :)

John Simon

Second Unit
John,

I've heard from others as well that the current disc isn't too bad. But while I'm sometimes willing to re-purchase discs, I hate to buy the current version of Predator if a new version is going to be released in a matter of months.

And I remember that quote from Peter. I just wish that we had something more solid, since the mid-2003 seems really unlikely right now.

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Predator SE--Sitting right there on my shelf.....oops you mean a region 1 SE....sorry can't help you there.

(Leaves to duck things being thrown at him)

Ned

Supporting Actor
Predator needs a new transfer. On a big screen it looks lousy with poor detail and dingy colors.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. This film desperately needs to be given some TLC. I know people say the film is suppose to be grainy. Whether that's true or not I don't know but all the other visual flaws (especially during the opening sequence) need to be taken care of. Maybe Fox should get the team over at Warner's Special Edition dept. to do the job as their work is wonderful. I'm not saying the film is THAT bad, lots of the scenes look really good, but there is room for improvement and as this will be the third time for this movie, let's make it third time perfect.

"I ain't got time to bleed"

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
It's grainy at times. Especially just after the helicopter landing in the beginning of the movie. Some scenes are nice others are grainy again. I am holding on to my copy until a new improved edition becomes available.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The grain isn't the result of poor authoring of the DVD, it's the film itself that's grainy, that's how it was shot. I don't see how this can be corrected, there really isn't anything wrong to begin with that I can see. Every incarnation of this film, from the first VHS release in 1987 and all that followed, the LD to the first DVD release has had the films signature grainy scene's.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, unless there is a complete, major restoration, I don't see much of an improvement. I am not sure if they would do this or not. I could see the current transfer being released with a second disc of extras - especially considering DTS is already on the movie.

There are some very grainy scenes, but it doesn't really bother me with this film as I think that is the source material. Maybe a complete restoration would fix this, but possibly at the expense of losing some detail. Maybe Robert Harris could tell us more about this process if he is reading this.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Honestly, what the hell is the hold up with the region 1 special edition? Why can't they just port the region 2 version here in the U.S. and be done with it? What's with the half-handed promises of *maybe* releasing it in 2003, when it should have already been released last year? Surely they can't be saving it for a promotional tie-in with Predator 3, because it might be another 3-4 years before that ever gets off the ground. Fox is just sitting on a great special edition that would sell like crazy in the U.S. and I can see no logical reason why it has been delayed this long. Hasn't it already been more than a year since the special edition was released overseas? Ridiculous.... :frowning:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
But they CAN be saving it for a tie-in for the Alien vs Predator movie

Mostly it's just because the Predator DTS disc wasn't released that long ago, and to justify another release (3rd time around) to the money people takes bumper space.

If you're that desperite, get a region free deck and buy the Japanese disc

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I'm quite happy with the dts version and won't be upgrading as special features are not that important to me. The grainy scenes are no big deal, at least to me, as they are from the source which is film. The grainy scenes, mentioned above, gives it a more theater like presentation, as opposed to having the grain eliminated by loosing detail, which to me is not a good thing.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The R2 and R4 Predator SEs have exactly the same transfer as the R1 bare bones disk. It's not a bad transfer at all, but the opening sequence (only a couple of minutes, including the studio logo) is pretty bad, and could be improved on; worse than the version I keep seeing on cable.

---
So many films, so little time..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks