What's new

What's the deal with Dave and Oprah? (1 Viewer)

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I've been mildly amused by Dave's campaign to get on Oprah's show over the past couple of weeks, but I don't know what puzzles me more about it:
Does Dave really want to be on her show?
or
Why isn't Oprah jumping on this (not that she should be jumping on anything) ;) ?
I've been watching Dave for years, and I'm well aware of his cynicism, but it almost seems like he really wants to be on Oprah! I love the nightly Oprah Log.
Does Oprah have something against Dave? I never heard anything about her not liking Dave or anything. I would think that she would love to have him on her show--she'd get her normal huge audience, plus all of Dave's audience who don't normally watch Oprah would tune in as well(I know I would). I'd have to think that she be more than happy to have him on, with all of the Emmys his show has won over the past few years and all of the campaigning he's been doing.
Maybe I've just been duped again. :)
-mwb-

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It's probably not meant to be funny, it's meant to be "funny". Just like the "Oprah and Uma" joke on the Pscars. Or like ANY of Dave's jokes, they're always "funny", never funny.... IMO.

As for him wanting to be on Oprah's show, I doubt it. The man seems to work hard to keep his private life private, Oprah isn't exactly known for shying away from asking personal questions. What would be the point of having him on, if he's not willing to spill the beans?

/Mike

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Dave knows he'll never get on Oprah. He hates her, that much is obvious. Her empire is just so huge, and people take her so seriously, that she's a fantastic target for ridicule. She's like the Maharishi of this generation, but more annoying. Dave's very presence on her show would be a mockery, and she's not stupid enough to fall for it. Even if he would go on her show and be nice, answer questions, and polite, it would still be a mockery.

Dave asking to be on Oprah is like Slayer wanting to jam with Kenny G and Michael Bolton. It's an insult.

I haven't watched Dave for a long time, but this Oprah thing might make me tune in.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Oprah Campaign kind of reminds me of his faux Phil Donahue obsession from several years ago, except in that case, he was counting down the days until Donahue appeared on Letterman's show. At least I think it was Donahue, it's been a while now.

Regards,

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Oprah will do a surprise walk on to shock him. But I think it's just a running gag he doing. It is funny.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
This goes back several years, even before the Oprah/Uma thing. Oprah took exception to some innocuous joke Dave made about her in his monologue and has had animosity towards him ever since. Dave has gone on record as saying he has nothing against her and can't figure out why she's so hostile, although the Oprah/Uma thing didn't help. He's resigned himself to needling her when he has the opportunity, and I think it's because she does take herself too seriously.

And Micke, I disagree with your assessment of Dave's comedic ability. I've always found him to be funny, no elipses needed.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Do any of you actually watch Oprah's show? If so, I wonder how you can say she takes herself too seriously. She doesn't take herself very seriously at all, IMO.

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks