What's new

What's the deal with 1080/24p signal anyway? (1 Viewer)

johnnyutah

Grip
Real Name
riley
Can somebody help me out with this please?

I have been posting in a couple of threads and one thing has come up that I'm not sure about. 1080/24p signal.

I've been looking at Panny G15 Plasma and Sammy 650 and 860 plasmas. Have decided to go with the Panny G15. The one knock on it in most reviews and CNET is the fact that when you pump it a 1080/24p signal, the 48hz refresh rate has a flicker to it. CNET finds it most distracting and will not use it but rates the Panny G10 high regardless.

I watched a G15 with Pirates of the Caribbean #3 pumped into it from a blu-ray. Picture looked amazing but when I played with the menu settings, I was unable to switch the 48hz rate on. The salesman said you would never really need that feature and it's there for only the most hardcore videophiles.

I got some good info from a poster here who said:

"If the feature only works for 1080p/24 video, then the display probably disables the option so you can't choose it unless you're feeding it w/ a 1080p/24 signal. You'll probably need to change the output setting at the source device, eg. BD player, to 1080p/24 for that -- also, remember that 1080p/24 usually only applies to film sourced material, not video sourced content."

Question:
What are some examples of film sourced material where I would really want to utilze this feature? Aren't all films considered "film sourced" material?

Thanks!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by johnnyutah

Question:
What are some examples of film sourced material where I would really want to utilze this feature? Aren't all films considered "film sourced" material?
Yes, most movies (you're likely to care about) are film sourced (or in some cases, may simply use the traditional 24fps frame rate even if shot/created digitally w/out film), and most BDs of them should be properly mastered to allow 1080/24p output.

However, most (at least older) displays don't support true 1080/24p output (even if they accept the signal). Most of them just fall back to 60Hz output (using the old 2:3 pulldown to translate 24fps to likely-frame-doubled 60fps) -- and some so-called 120Hz displays may also do certain (often undesirable) motion smoothing processing, etc. too. All this is basically a byproduct artifact of the old NTSC standard (and the telecine process designed to output to NTSC format) carried into consumer HD displays.

BTW, I replied back to that other thread in the display section for you.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks