What's new

What's the cost to service a lens? (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
My aperture ring is tight on my Bronicas lens and I wonder what kind of charge should I expect for a looksee??

I figure it's time to get rid of this camera since I haven't used it much in the last 4-5 years and it's still work some good buck.

OH, the lens is the standard 80mm f2.8 PS lens for the SQ-a

Thanks
Brent

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There may not be anything wrong. Aperture rings on Bronicas are rather tight.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Thanrks John but this isn't firm like it was years ago when I bought it. I have to grip it hard to get it to turn.

Luckily it still works fine in regards to exposure so I know the aperture is working properly.

Brent

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You may be right. The lubricants will often gum up if the equipment isn't used. Most likely there is nothing wrong with the blades themselves and their lubrication. You can kind of check it visually by looking at the front of the lens and see if there is lubricant on the blades. Just stop the lens down all the way and press the stop down lever a few times. there should be absolutely no lubricant visible on the aperture blades.

Was the lens ever dropped? It could have pushed the front of the lens back against the aperture ring.

Why are you selling it? that is a great camera and the lense are outstanding. Mine are older, S, not PS, but they are amazing.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I had a problem similar to this with a Canon L lens. I believe it was just under $200 to get it fixed at my local camera shop. They sent it out and marked it up, so I probably could have gotten a better deal going directly to a repair place.

JK

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Nope never dropped or mishandled, just the typical wear marks on the cartridges and backs. Probably a 9 if the lens gets fixed.

I just don't use it, and it's money just sitting around. It's not like a $50 DVD player, I'm guessing it's worth $1000Can even after all these years.

Assuming I get it fixed and can get it listed before photo school starts at the local universities and colleges.

Time to run to Ebay and see what they go fofr in the U.S.

B
I need a new battery though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks