What's new

What's the correct OAR of "The Shield"? (1 Viewer)

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
Some screen shot examples (not perfectly timed ones, but should give the general idea)

The packaging for these newly released sets are exactly the same as the fifth season one...(white cover) - same outer box size and slim cases that hold (2) DVD's.

As far as I can tell, the picture quality seems to be the same.

First group of shots are from the Pilot episode in Season 1, the second group is from the first episode in Season 2 (starring the pre-Veronica Mars, Kristen Bell)

vlcsnap2174ap2.png

vlcsnap2350la9.png

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hmm.

looks better wide.
although i can understand the claustrophobic idea of the smaller framing.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Does anyone have the new Sony widescreen release of the fifth season and can you confirm that the finale episode is the full length version as it was on Fox's 4:3 release?
(In UK R2 Sony released it with the episode heavily edited "due to the unavailability of French and Italian dubs for the 90 minute version. A decision was made to include the version that would work for all territories associated with the disc as there was not enough room to include both versions.")
I just want to make sure that the same thing hasn't happened with the R1 widescreen release!
Thanks in advance if anyone can confirm!

MattHR

Screenwriter

I have both the original Fox and new Sony sets, so I double checked for you. They both contain the same 70 minute version.

At first, I was wary of Sony's new widescreen versions. But after comparing three seasons now, I can never watch the original P&S versions again, despite being the "intended" format. Sony's transfers are so much better, yet still retain the "claustrophobic" feel, even with the additional peripheral image. Sony's transfers are still grainy, but Fox's have so much grain that the "zoomed-in" image results in an excess amount of compression artefacts, something I didn't really realize before.

This is the only title in my 3000+ collection that I prefer the non-OAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks