What's new

What's the biggest DVD binge you ever did, in one shot, one day? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hm, however did I end up in *this* thread?!?! :D

Let's see. . .the Fox studio store. . .I don't remember for sure, but it included X-Files Season 1, the Marilyn Monroe 7-disc set, the French Connection and Simpsons Season 1 (those two were given to us by Fox as freebies -- we were wondering why the store was sold out of 'em!), um. . .and a whole lot of other stuff. Let's just say that as Vince implied, my little spree was the stuff of HTF legend. :)

But I think I may have beaten it at the previously mentioned BlowOut Video going out of business sale. I happened to be in the store when they announced it, so EVERYTHING was still available! I remember being pissed that the big Kubrick set wasn't included, though. I think I had about $500-$600 worth of stuff (AFTER discount) in my basket, but cut that about in half before making my purchase for the sake of my sanity. :) I did pick up a Game Boy Advance for $39 and a few games for it in that same purchase.

The store was pretty much cleaned out by the next day!

And while I've tried to cut down (believe it. . .or not!), I took advantage of both the Columbia House and Deep Discount sales right before the holidays to the tune of about $300 (that was after huge discounts on the stuff I got). I think that was on 2 separate days, though.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Money wise, I'd have to say the day I bought 24 seasons 1 and 2, and the Godfather collection was up there, as well as when I got MWC season 1, Dick Van Dyke Show seasons 1 and 2 and Indiana Jones on the same day those would be the most expensive.

In terms of titles, I'm not really sure but if I had to guess I'd say its at least 6 titles at once probably even 7.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I purchased the 8-disc Universal "Classic Monster Collection" box set, Criterion's 8 1/2, Criterion's Notorious, and the Image edition of The Circus all in one day.

It was roughly $210, I think... well worth it.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Martin: Yeah, There's a CD/Game exchange a couple blocks from my new apartment, and Everyday music is a couple blocks from my work .I totally forgot EM has DVD's--usually I'm raiding the vinyl section ;)

those 2 for 20 deals at Hollywood are great for newer used movies, tho. I picked up Pianist, Gangs of New York and Bowling for Columbine in one shot for 30 bucks a couple months ago.

I can't imagine spending the money amounts being thrown around in here. The only reason I got the amount I did is a combo of gift certificate/low priced DVD's A LOT of those DVD's were 15 bucks or less. I think the two most expensive ones were Color Purple and Larry Flynt.

anything over 8 titles is like, temporary insanity ;) I love it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The strangest binge I've been was last week, when I received a box from DDD with 10 copies of The Wind And The Lion. I've been going around passing out copies to my friends. How's that for strange?

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
The most DVDs I ever bought at once was just before Christmas when I purchased (for myself ;)) Buffy seasons two to six. In Australia that's twelve seperate half-season boxes. Thirty discs in all. Fox were discounting the series at the time, and I wanted to buy it before it returned to full price.

The problem was that I found out that widescreen was (arguably...) not the 'intended' a.r. for Buffy, so I went back and exchanged the relevant seasons for Angel. I'm going to buy the seasons I'm missing from the U.S. (which will work out the same as the price the Australian sets were discounted to, anyway. That's how overpriced they were).

I'd only seen a handful of episodes before I bought season one at the discounted price. I loved it and was hooked :).

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
The most I've spent at one go was about $300 dollars. I did preorders for dvd's coming out months later. I had ordered so much that for 3 months I had at least one dvd coming in each week. It was cool!!

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

It is a show, and I didn't start until season 6!!

It may not be all in one day, but I have added 38 titles since New Year!

Michael Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
I bought 16 DVDs over four days, December 26-29, 2003, with giftcards to various places. Here's what I got:

Friday
EB Games:
Fast Times at Ridgemont High ($7.50 - used)
Phone Booth ($7.50 - used)

Saturday
Suncoast:
28 Days Later ($14.99)
Das Boot: Superbit ($26.99)
Escape from New York: SE ($22.99)

Sunday
Target:
To Live and Die in L.A. ($10)

Best Buy:
Saving Private Ryan: DTS ($14.99)
Jurassic Park: DTS ($14.99)

Borders:
Chinatown ($12.99)
A Clockwork Orange ($14.99)
Friday ($14.99)
One Hour Photo ($14.99)
Clear and Present Danger: SE ($14.99)

Monday
Circuit City:
The Ben Stiller Show ($19.99)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit: Vista Series ($19.99)
Tombstone: Vista Series ($22.99)

16 DVDs and $256 later, I was satisfied...Not to mention all the holiday gifts I got. :D :D :D

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Last month and in a moment of both weakness and strength (most really big HT purchases are that way for me), I bought alot of old TV series ...MASH (Seasons 1-4), Mary Tyler Moore, Frasier, Cheers, Law & Order, Sex And The City ...old movies ...The Out Of Towners, The Odd Couple, Plaza Suite, The Sand Pebbles, The Odd Couple II, The French Connection, Ruthless People ...not so old movies ...Thirteen Days, Finding Forrester, Best Of Sessions At West 54th Volume 2, Moulin Rouge, Stand By Me, Never Been Kissed, Miller's Crossing, Dogma, Drumline, Barton Fink, One Fine Day, A Bridge Too Far, For A Few Dollars More, SpaceBalls, Pirates Of The Carribean, S.W.A.T, Seabiscuit, Bad Boys II, The Rolling Stones Four Flicks, U2 Slane Castle, Once Upon A Time In The West, National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation ...others for Christmas presents some of which I already owned and some of which ...I would decide whether to give as gifts or keep.

I've had big buys before ...but this season, last December was probably the single biggest.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not counting Columbia House enrollment shipments, I've probably spent up to a couple hundred dollars at a time. Usually I just try to buy single titles more frequently, as opposed to tons of stuff all at once.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Just opened a package of 22 dvds from cdjapan.com.
Can't get enough of them dts region 2's :D

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Mike,

If you haven't opened it yet, I believe this can be had at Target for $15 bucks.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

If you got all 7 seasons for $130, I'm going to be sick now...

My biggest purchase was also ST boxsets:

Just before Christmas, I found store with a number of used ST sets I was looking for.

I initially picked up STTNG S6&7 for $120, to finish off my NG collection.

I doubled back a few days later for DS9 S3-6 for $240.

Later, I caved on DS9 S1 for $60 (same store).

Now waiting patiently for DS9 S2 & S7 to surface.

No regrets, when you buy uncommon items used there typically is no excess inventory.

If you want it, you better grab it.

DeeF

Screenwriter
February 3, 2004 looks to be a doozy for me. I will be buying:

American Splendor
The Diary of Anne Frank
Ed Wood
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Grand Hotel
The Great Ziegfield
Lost in Translation
Mrs. Miniver
Mutiny on the Bounty
My Fair Lady (SE)
Rainman (SE)
Bon Voyage
Chapin Collection Volume 2, which contains:
The Chaplin Review
The Circus
City Lights
The Kid
Monsieur Verdoux
A King in New York/A Woman of Paris
Charlie: The Life and Art of Charlie Chaplin
Diary of a Country Priest
The Misadventures of Merlin Jones
Planet of the Apes (35th Anniversary Edition)
Those Calloways

I'm guessing, about $500.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Hmmm I think my wife and I bought something like 10-11 at a time. We'll go out of town and agree to spend no more than X that we put aside on stuff like DVD's, gambling, etc and other stuff since we're likely to encounter something we want to do that we didn't think of.

I can't imagine buying 15 dvd's at a time. But when you think about it, we've bought that many over the course of a week so it's really not that big of a deal.

At some point one reaches a point where everything you wanted on DVD you've managed to buy. After that it's a matter of a release here and there but usually not as many as after first getting a DVD player.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I don't now about one day, but I ordered 16 DVDs over three days during the DDD 20% off sale. Here's the list of what I got:

EAGLES-HELL FREEZES OVER (DTS) $ 15.94 1 $ 15.94
BEASTIE BOYS: VIDEO ANTHOLOGY (CRITERION $ 17.24 1 $ 17.24
STRANGERS WITH CANDY-1ST SEASON $ 12.96 1 $ 12.96
THE SEVEN SAMURAI $ 23.00 1 $ 23.00
BUG'S LIFE (CE/2D), A $ 17.27 1 $ 17.27
SANJURO (CRITERION) $ 17.24 1 $ 17.24
THRONE OF BLOOD (CRITERION) $ 23.00 1 $ 23.00
THE HIDDEN FORTRESS (CRITERION) $ 17.24 1 $ 17.24
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (SCE) $ 10.84 1 $ 10.84
RED BEARD (CRITERION) $ 23.00 1 $ 23.00
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN-CURSE OF THE $ 14.31 1 $ 14.31
HIGH AND LOW (CRITERION) $ 23.00 1 $ 23.00
CHRISTMAS STORY (SE)(WS), A $ 16.32 1 $ 16.32
STRANGERS WITH CANDY-2ND SEASON $ 12.96 1 $ 12.96
THE BEN STILLER SHOW $ 16.32 1 $ 16.32
DESPERADO/EL MARIACHI (SE) $16.27 1 $ 16.27

Keep in mind, I'm a poor-ass college student :)

Also, I remember about a year ago when CH had a 5 for 20 deal with no enrollment...I recieved 22 DVDs one day between CH and DDD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks