What's new

What's the best "OMG WOW!" movie? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Re: Sin City.

You would have to order it from Amazon.ca or some other Canadian Mail order outfit. It was released in Canada but not the U.S. I believe the U.S release has been delayed. The Canadian release is the theatrical version with a DTS HD MA soundtrack. The disc is a movie only release....zero extras.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I have recommendations in three categories of this type: 1)CGI/animation: Any of the Pixar and Disney classics, such as "Sleeping Beauty" on BD; 2)CGI/live action combined: "The Dark Knight" & "Superman Returns", "Live Free Or Die Hard"; 3)Classic live action only: "The Adventures Of Robin Hood" on BD(I've never seen a better version of this action classic from 1938, featuring Errol Flynn at his absolute zenith!:emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Mobo

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith

I'm not much for the extras, so movie only would be fine with me. Not sure what all the DTS HD MA stuff really means though.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

DTS HD MA stands for DTS High Definition Master Audio. It is a losslessly compressed audio standard as opposed to the lossy audio standard that is used on DVDs. Basically, the source soundtrack is compressed in such a manner that no bits from the source track are dropped or lost when the soundtrack is stored on a BD. Theoretically a losslessly compressed soundtrack should be completely transparent to the source when it is unpacked and played back.

In order to listen to a losslessly compressed track you have to have a receiver that is equipped with an HDMI input and/or multi-channel analog inputs. The BD player has to be able to decode the DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD tracks internally or be able to bitstream the raw data to a receiver that is able to decode lossless formats.

If your receiver is equipped only with an optical or coaxial audio input then the lossless track is essentially downconverted to a lossy format. In the case of DTS HD MA a "core" lossy DTS track is extracted and played back over the optical/coax input at 1500 Kb/s. Dolby does it a different way and the transmission rate is 640 Kb/s over the optical/coax input. Both of these rates are considerably higher than standard def DVD rates for audio.

Theoretically, a lossless track should sound better than the equivalent lossy track, but whether it does or not is going to be entirely dependent on how sensitive and good ones hearing is.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I would disagree with this comment. Like Dion, Blade Runner was the first Blu-Ray film I watched. I had watched some TV the previous night, including one or two HD shows, and they didn't impress me, so I was starting to regret my purchase. And then I watched Blade Runner, and within a minute or so, by the point where we get the close-up shot of the eye, I was completely won over. It may not be the absolute best picture out there, but it is incredibly beautiful and striking, and I am glad it was my first Blu-Ray film.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I still think Zodiac HDDVD is way up there in the High Def PQ dept.

For Blurays - Wall-E, and Kung Fu Panda floored me. The PQ on KFP is stellar and I was suprised how much I enjoyed the film(I grew up on Shaw Bros martial arts movies). I usually dont complain about extras, but I REALLY wish theyd put the Sercrets of the Furious Five 25min short on the bluray.

Others:
Hellboy2 THe Golden Army
Corpse Bride
The Dark Knight (The Imax scenes)
Kill Bill
Nightmare Before Christmas (The Xmas Land scenes)

Also check out Band Of Brothers for beautiful grain in HD ;)

winduptoy

Auditioning
Real Name
William
-Anything so far from Pixar
-Imax stuff in Dark Knight
-Blade Runner
-POTC
-Lost season 4

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
For me it was Sleeping Beauty -- unreal!

Can't wait to check out The Searchers and The Day the Earth Stood Still, as recommended above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks