What's new

What's the Best Movie on your Home surround system? (1 Viewer)

Patrick H.

Second Unit
The vast majority of films these days boast awesome sound design, but I'll agree with those above that 'Master and Commander' was something special. That wasn't "great movie sound," it was "you are THERE" sound!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
War of the Worlds (2005) is my current favorite. None of the other suggestions are bad either.

Some video games are excellent too.

For the Xbox 360, I downloaded a demo for the game Condemned and the surround use was excellent. And the game makes you jump a few times.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm not saying this is the best, but the loudest/biggest bass I've ever heard on my system was the approaching whale in Finding Nemo. I swear! I thought my sub was going to explode!!!

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator

I just watched it last night on my system.. the t-rex scene where the water in the cub vibrates.. and the following attack were great.. had the walls shaking..

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

not to mention picture quality was excellent!

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
Really? I have the JP DTS special edition, and I thought the whole look of the picture (especially with the sand area in the beginning) looked like it had a filter over it. I've never noticed anything like it on any other DVD I've watched. I got the three-pack with the King Kong ticket in it for Christmas, although JP1 in that pack doesn't have the DTS.

Shaun

Second Unit
These are my favorites:

LOTR Trilogy: Extended Editions (DTS) - Especially ROTK.
Saving Private Ryan (DTS)
Gladiator (DTS)
Titanic: SE (DTS)
War of the Worlds: SE (DTS)
Hellboy
X2 X-Men United (DTS)
Toy Story 2: SE (DTS)
Jurassic Park III (DTS)
Pearl Harbor (DTS)
U-571 (DTS)
Spider-Man 2 Superbit (DTS)
Fight Club
Star Wars Prequel Trilogy
Master and Commander (DTS)
Matrix Trilogy
Blade 2 (DTS)
The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
Terminator 2/3
The Patriot Superbit (DTS)
The Haunting (DTS)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Daredevil (DTS)
The Day After Tomorrow (DTS)
The Fast and the Furious (DTS)

It's funny. The more I concentrate on sound and sound effects when watching a movie, the more I realize how much of them get reused from movie to movie, especially many of the sound effects created and provided by Skywalker Sound (Star Wars, The Haunting, Titanic, Pearl Harbor, Pixar movies, Spielberg movies, etc.).

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Sort of like your favorite and mine:

The Wilhelm Scream

With regards to the JP DTS.. I didn't notice the sand at the beginning.. I think I was busy getting comfortable.. hehe

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
It was the whole film, but it's just that the sand is near the beginning and easy to see. Skip to the start of nearly any chapter and it's clear to see.

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
The opening sequence of Raiders on Laserdisc was always one of my favorites as a demo. Sadly, the DVD's sound lacks the dynamics of the LD version. The THX WoW disc was always good as well. Especially the lightstorm at the end that goes into the THX logo. Intense...

Dave>h

Second Unit
Some one above mentioned they heard people walking above them in Master and Commander. Can you give me chapter where that occurs. I love the sound on M & C but I have never noticed that particular effect. Certainly noticed all the creaking of the boat and things like that when the men are below desk but to actually pinpoint someone walking on the deck above, now that would be WAY Cool!

Thanks,

Dave

OH and Master and Commander along with the Fifth Element DTS get my vote for effects and sound demos.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
I think that was me about M&C. Unfortunately I don't know where in the movie it was. If I did, I'd go back and check because the first time I watched was in a different apartment with different speaker placement, etc.

There are probably multiple times in the movie, though, where you can hear things going on in other rooms, above you, etc.

Just watch the whole thing again! Haha.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
On my fifth element disc, (new Superbit Special Edition), there seems to be some strange echoing/ambient effect through most of the movie in the rear channels. This occurs in both DD and DTS. I swear it wasn't there in the previous edition. Does anyone else hear this? especially when Bruce Willis is in his apartment. Wierd.

DennyH

Grip
T3 is filled with great sound, but especially the crane/firetruck scene. That one always gets demo'd in my theater room.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Now that Titanic has been redone (SCE version) i have to chime in again with that dvd. Check out the scene with Rose going sublevel as she searches for Jack and the ship as it creaks and groans under the stress. great ambience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks