What's next for BCI?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

I have received a nice, if brief, email this morning from Bob Freese of Navarre. He claims that the scheduled January, 2009 product (such as the DRIVE-IN CULT CLASSICS VOL. 4 box set and the two EXPLOITATION CINEMA double-bills) will still be released, and possibly their February titles as well.

According to Best Buy's website, the above product will be sold through their website, but may not be available in their retail stores. Amazon of course is taking orders for the above. Previously, the DRIVE-IN CULT CLASSICS sets and the EXPLOITATION CINEMA two-fers have been stocked by most Best Buy retail locations.

2. David Levine

David Levine Supporting Actor

That would make sense, since the titles were finished and (for sure in the case of January) manufactured.

3. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

On the CHFB site, George Reis reports that the Navarre braintrust are currently discusing the possibility of following through with the January releases, as planned. I gather from that tidbit that the January releases are not quite etched in stone, but are at least being considered.

If the January product has already been manufactured, I'd hate to see it all banished to a dusty warehouse at the edge of town.

4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Thanks for the advice. I plan to do some heavy research this weekend and figure out what I want to pick up quickly. They have a ton of stuff I've thought about ordering.

5. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Stunt Coordinator

I'm so sorry to hear about the bad news, David. Thanks for all you've done, and best of luck to you!

6. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

remember that the Filmation Sci-fi boxset has Ark II, Jason of Star Command and Space Academy for about the price of one of their season sets. ($24.29 at DD)

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I own practically all the Filmation releases, but I'm going to get cracking, and buy the BCI titles I have put on the back burner. Much like titles from the now defunct company New Concorde(Deathstalker, Barbarian Queen), I fear outrageous after market prices.

I might even buy a few dupes of titles I own(Ark II, Isis, Space Academy etc.) and keep them factory sealed just for safety sake. If one of those discs gets scratched, I'm not shelling out $300 for a new set on E-Bay.

8. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

David,

Just wanted to add my "thanks" for your honest, forthright and (very) informative posts at HTF during your time here, and to add a voice with Gary, Bob, Rick, Steve, and all the gang here for our best wishes to you and yours during the Holiday season and the days ahead for you. Godspeed your journey to your next stop along the road. We all know here that it won't be long before another employer will be fortunate to add your name to their payroll.

Glad to see and hear that you plan on sticking around here [​IMG]

9. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    I wonder what the average run of each BCI title was?

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Having worked for Tower Records during their last 5 years in business, I've been afraid of the effect their demise is having on the smaller companies as Tower was one of the biggest retailers to carry that stuff. Luckily Fry's has about as good a selection, and much better prices! Some of BCI's stuff has been hit-or-miss (I was REALLY mad about the forced-subtitled 'bug' on the New Zoo Revue discs!) , but the stuff put out in the last year has been great and definitely not a good thing to have them go. I don't know any sales figures, but I hope at least SOME titles sold well enough for Navarre to keep doing similar ones. I bought all 3 Drive-in movie sets today just in case, and will buy the 4th one when it comes out just to show there's demand for it.

The current economic situation just plain sucks- I was unemployed and worked a few temporary jobs the year after Tower went under, I've finally gotten a full-time job again though it's entirely unrelated to my areas of interest. My DVD buying has still been cut back since I'm saving up for a new TV and Blu-Ray player, but I'll still buy stuff in danger of becoming unavailable later. Hopefully everything will straighten out eventually.

11. Trevtpir

Trevtpir Stunt Coordinator

It's been a while since I've posted here but now I'm on a mission to save the classic Mark Goodson gameshow DVD collections. I have every one from BCI and intend to get Best of Password soon. David Levine, if you see this, please encourage Navarre to keep the classic Goodson gameshow sets coming. And also David, I realize you are no longer an employee of Navarre but please, if you can, e-mail Bob Friese (sp?) and tell him there's still a demand for classic Mark Goodson gameshows on DVD. Fellow gameshow fans, join my cause and Merry Christmas.

12. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Spent all morning researching the ones I don't have and picked up the following:

Ghostbusters live action series 1975
    Lone Ranger/Zorro V 1
    Lone Ranger/Zorro V 2
    Bravestarr S 1 Vol 1
    Bravestarr S 1 Vol 2
    Legend of Bravestarr the Movie
    Groovie Goolies
    Blackstar
    Flash Gordon
    total about $130

Very exciting! So many of these are vaguely familiar. I know it's going to be great to watch them. Bravestarr looks so darn good! It's a real shame Tarzan didn't get released with Lone Ranger and Zorro. That one is real popular with non-official places and that sucks!

I watched a bit of He-man on youtube and decided to wait on it. I was never a fan...liked Thundarr and Dungeons & Dragons waay better. But I'll most likely grab all the He-Man releases at the last minute.

13. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I bought all those separate earlier this year. Glad to see they put them out in a set like that. If I didn't already have them I'd be all over that. [​IMG]

Ark II has that nifty printing on the inside of the sleeve. Almost worth getting the single series release just for that. [​IMG]

BCI deserves a big pat on the back for bringing this stuff back. ARK II, along with Twilight Zone, Brady Bunch, Andy Griffith and Kids in the Hall, was my favorite TV purchase this year. I haven't gotten to Jason of STar Command, but it was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I used to get it mixed up with Space Academy. Pretty funny, me sitting there wondering where the heck Jason was.

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I decided not to wait any further and jump on the Best of Password set. Deep Discount has it right now for $18.21 [​IMG]

15. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

You need to see the memo - BCI is no more.

16. David Levine

David Levine Supporting Actor

He posted that 14 months ago...

And he's posted numerous times in here since the BCI news came out. Pretty sure he's seen "the memo".

17. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

There must have been a strange glitch cause that Gobots request was the last posting and it said it had been posted today.

18. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

Sad news indeed...

I have to say that the Filmation sets done by BCI (especially the He-Man sets) were some of the best put together DVDs I've owned. I can safely say I was never disappointed with any of the BCI sets I bought.

The news of BCI closing has reminded me I need D&D and Bravestarr V2. I'll probably get Ghostbusters V1 & 2 as well.

19. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    Went ahead and picked up the Bravestarr sets that I'd been postponing, and I got the Filmation box set of ArkII/Jason of Star Command/Space Academy. Also picked up Hero High and the box set of Space Sentinels/Freedom Force. Already had a lot of their sets, including all the He-Man releases, Dungeons and Dragons and Blackstar. It's a damn shame that this wonderful company was shut down. They sure put out alot of shows that I loved as a kid and I was always looking forward to see what they would get out to us next. Even though I believe Warner holds the rights, I was hoping that BCI would get their hands on Shazam and Thundarr and release them. Like I said, a damn shame. BCI, you will really be missed.

20. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Same here. Shazam would be shaz-tastic! [​IMG]