What's new

What's next for BCI? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There is a glimmer of hope for Sony-owned game shows showing up, as the recent releases of Father Knows Best, The Donna Reed Show, and My Two Dads suggest they are more open to licensing than before.

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis

That's fantastic, David! Sounds like there may be some extra features.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jdizzle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jaimal
Fremantle owns the rights to Let's Make A Deal, not Sony. But there is a LOT of material with Goodson-Todman, so I can understand going through that first.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
David... Since you are working on G-T titles, has "I've Got a Secret" been approached?

I know this isn't one of their titles but wonder who has the rights to the old "Truth or Consequences" shows and if they are in the works?

I would also love to see "Let's Make a Deal" on DVD as I grew up on it!

Eric

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I know most all of these releases come from the Crown library but wondered if you will be releasing more of the older b/w 50's-60s horror/sci-fi stuff we desperately need cleaner copies of?

Thanks for the excellent job so far!

Eric

Jdizzle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jaimal

Ralph Edwards Productions still has the rights to Truth or Consequences. Ralph Edwards was very good at keeping his product intact. They also own Name That Tune with Tom Kennedy and the original Cross-Wits with Jack Clark.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
David... let's see if I can help about who owns the older "Let's Make a Deal" episodes.

Hatos-Hall Productions holds the rights to the 60s-70s and 1984-86 episodes.

When Hatos-Hall left NBC in 1968, Their big stickler was ownership of tapes. Hatos-Hall was bought by Fremantle in 2006 which is how LMAD was part of the game show marathon and how LMAD returned early in 2007 to GSN.

Hatos-Hall Productions 519 North Arden Drive Beverly Hills, CA 90210-3507

Since Fremantle now owns the rights, not sure if this address is still good other than contacting Monty Hall?

Eric

David Levine

Supporting Actor

I doubt there is a big enough audience to make it feasible - and it's always tough to find quality complete episodes of shows that haven't really been cared for - and may or may not have fallen into the Public Domain (if memory serves).

And I'm not sure what you mean by "with original commercials", do you mean spots for the show, or the various commercials that aired when the show did?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
David: here's an idea for I've Got a Secret: in 1972, an all-color version was produced for syndication (hosted by Steve Allen). It ran once a week and aired only 30-40 shows. Maybe that version would not be "too old" to be popular. It had a lot of decent celebs participating in the stunts, such as Milton Berle, Paul Lynde, Alan Alda, Don Knotts, Bob Barker, Charles Nelson Reilly, etc. If it was popular enough, the whole run of these episodes could probably get knocked out in two volumes.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Correct, the commercails that aired with the show (sponsors, etc...). I know in one of my worn out PD sets they have the commercials for some fabric and watch company and others still there. Think all of the companies are now defunct? but makes for a better viewing experience for those of us who are big on nostalgia.

Eric

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Gotcha. Those are great and wildly dangerous to add to a set. You'll notice that you only see them in inexpensive sets and usually from more shady companies.

The problem is, if the company still exists, they can sue you. If the company is gone, but someone else owns the brand, THEY can sue you. The people that own any music playing can sue you, etc.

It would be unbelievably cost-prohibitive to try to clear the commercials.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Would any of the Tattletales shows or To Tell the Truth shows be a contender for a release

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
David... odd because of the recently released "Steve Canyon" series has their original Chesterfield / L&M / etc... brand commercoals as well as various ABC Television promo spots. The old Liggett & Myers brands are currently owned by Philip Morris a/k/a Altria Group. Wonder how they got license with such a niche private release and keep the costs low on top of professional restoration?

Eric

David Levine

Supporting Actor

It's entirely possible they are playing with fire and hope no one notices.

It's not unusual for a single commercial to cost $20,000 or more to clear.

Jdizzle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jaimal

Fremantle owns LMAD ONLY, not all of Hatos-Hall. David, if BCI ever does wanna do an LMAD release, please let me know and I can get you in touch with some people directly as I have a VERY good relationship with Hatos-Hall Productions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks