What's new

What's needed for TV shows on DVD? Context! (1 Viewer)

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I think a very useful extra on these discs, especially the older shows, is a little 30 second prequel to each episode, maybe done in an old fashioned newsreel style, or something like that, that explains the references and slang used in the accompanying episode.

I was watching the Dick Van Dyke episode: One Angry Man yesterday, and although I got the Henry Fonda reference, there was one a little later that meant nothing to me. If they've stopped showing Twelve Angry Men in high schools, then I assume the rest of the references, in fact, the setup for the entire episode, would be lost on the kids of today.

I've listened to some of those Old Time Radio episodes from the late thirties, and there was either a Jack Benny or a Bickersons or something that made references to numerous political figures that must have been a big deal at the time but I did not recognize A SINGLE NAME!

It was like I was listening to a comedy in another language and not finding anything funny. Kind of like when I was a kid trying to read Doonesbury, I guess. : )

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I think that's a good idea, though I don't think I'd like it done as episode intros--I'd be afraid it would end up being full of spoilers. I think something like that could be better done as a text glossary or as a featurette.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I feel the same way watching AbFab or Fawlty Towers and not knowing a name in a punchline (that ALWAYS seems to get an uproarious response from the audience) and I just sit there scratching my head...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I've got to agree with this, so as to avoid spoilers or run the risk of explaining a joke before the joke is heard, a featurette would be a better avenue. I do like the concept though, but in some cases the explanations are done in audio commentaries...but then again no commentary = no help.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I think this is a great idea. Maybe they could incorporate the information of the reference into a little icon that would pop up on the screen that you could click on that would take you to the featurette or screen of information.

The webmasters of the best Bewitched website, Harpies Bizarre have created a page devoted to the references the show makes to pop culture or historical pop culture. It's been very useful when something is brought up, that you know is funny, but you don't know why such as one time when Serena is being quite dramatic and Endora tells her, "Serena, if we wanted Sarah Bernhardt we would've sent for her!" I would've never known who she was had I not looked her up on the Reverse References page from Harpies...

p.s. Sarah Bernhardt was a famous French actress from the late 1800s who was one of the first famous film actresses.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

You're not the only one, EricSchultz. But in my case, I usually blame the sound department at the BBC for this, because when they film the shows before a live audience, as with Fawlty Towers, the audience is in hysterics halfway through the joke, and I cannot hear the punchline. Some of my confusion (not necessarily yours) may also be cultural references, because there are times when I talk to a friend of mine who is British, and he howls with laughter at some of the strangest things.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Kind of like how I would feel watching any WB show now. Except times it by 10. And unlike now, the historical references were pretty much known by everyone, regardless of their age. I wasn't around in the 1800s but I sure as hell heard of Sarah Bernhardt.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Someone at the Harpies Bizarre board told me that the first season of the Monkees has just this feature. On the menu before each episode it lists trivia for that episode including references that today's viewer may not be familiar with.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Someone at the Harpies Bizarre board told me that the first season of the Monkees has just this feature. On the menu before each episode it lists trivia for that episode including references that today's viewer may not be familiar with.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
They showed the wonderful film "Twelve Angry Men" when I was a sophmore, which was 2 years ago. I am not sure if they still show it now, but the play is in the text book.

I probably would not get the reference on the Van Dyke Show...

Ryan

RyanAn

Screenwriter
They showed the wonderful film "Twelve Angry Men" when I was a sophmore, which was 2 years ago. I am not sure if they still show it now, but the play is in the text book.

I probably would not get the reference on the Van Dyke Show...

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks