Whats Matthews, NC like?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Aug 9, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

My family and I live near the NJ shore. And my wife & I are getting fed up with this state. Although, we don't plan on moving yet. We have looked into areas. And one area we seem to be drawn to is Matthews, NC. It seems to be close to a major city and looks to be a great town. Also, being Jewish seems to limit my areas to look at. Not that I want to be in an all-jewish community. But, I don't want to be the only one.
    Regarding jobs my wife is a teacher. So hopefully, she should be able to find a job down there. I own a distribution company with my father. We can go wherever UPS picks up and delivers. The negative is that he really doesn't want to move...too costly. Another downside to a move is my kids. I have an 11yr old daughter, an 8yr old daughter and a 3yr old son. They go back and forth about moving...except when they saw the house we could get. Which leads me to the best part...For what I can sell my house for here in NJ. I can get one sick ass house in Matthews. [​IMG]

So my question is this...How is Matthews, NC?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hi Todd,

I live in the Huntersville area which a northwest suburb of Charlotte. Matthews is kind of southeast of Charlotte. I'm not as familiar with that area, but it seems pretty nice. As for the Charlotte area in general, I really can't say enough good things about it. I'm pretty new to the area and I absolutely love it.

Some things to consider: don't rule out other locations in the area quite yet. Specifically Huntersville, Concord, and Harrisburg. Concord and Harrisburg are in Cabarrus county which has significantly lower property taxes than Mecklenburg county (roughly half). They also have a very good school system, so you aren't really losing out on much to get the lower taxes. Huntersville is a little nicer area, IMO, especially if you travel uptown for work. IMO the traffic on I-77 between Huntersville and uptown Charlotte is significantly easier than any stretch of I-85 or I-485. The two exits marked for Huntersville are fairly congested, but it lightens up as soon as the road widens (about 1-2 miles) and hopefully they will continue to widen the road out further.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to let me know. House prices are good, but there are definitely bad parts of town (just like any relatively large city) so make sure the house price doesn't seem too good to be true. I'm pretty sure the mecklenburg county police department has crime maps that could prove useful when house hunting.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

On another note: regarding your kids I would say that if you're going to move, do it in the next 2 years. Once your 11 year old goes to high school I think it will be significantly more difficult to talk her into moving. And once she goes to college your next one will be in high school.

4. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I live just across the NC/SC border in Tega Cay, South Carolina and I'll vouch for the greater Charlotte area. I've lived here for over 8 years now and like it. My girlfriend is Jewish and I've gotten the impression that she grew up in an active Jewish community here. She still has some good friends from Hebrew school.

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Just bumping up this thread. To see if anyone knows what the property taxes are for Matthews? I can't be any higher than here in NJ.

6. dfinsjay

dfinsjay Auditioning

Todd,
    I have been living in North Carolina for the past 3 years. Two years in Charlotte, and I lived for 6 months in Matthews while my home was being built in Harrisburg. Matthews is a nice part of town, its downtown area is very small and quaint. It is close to Uptown Charlotte, about a 20min drive. Alot of your major stores and areas are located convienently to Matthews.
    The whole Charlotte area is experiencing lots of growth and the housing market is great.

In terms of taxes, the following link may help you determine what the tax rates are. Matthews in located in Mecklenburg county, which has the highest tax rates of this ares. But check it out - If you click on the propery tax brochure in the middle of the page, you can find out the tax rate for Matthews. I believe Mecklenberg is about 0.82 / $100 and Matthews is about .31 / $100. So to live in Matthews you would be paying roughly $1.14 / $100 of value of your property.

Here is the link, I hope it helps:

The forum wont let me post a url, until I have at least 10 posts. If you email me I can provide you with the link.
    [email protected]

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the area.

Jason

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Here is the link that Jason was probably talking about above: http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/...Rates/Home.htm

FYI -- lots of talk on the news recently that Mecklenburg county will be raising property taxes this year to help pay more for schools. So I would expect that rate to go up at least 0.02-0.03 in the next couple months.