Bad Day at Black Rock
Laura
Gaslight
Out of the Past
Dial M for Murder
Magnificent Ambersons
African Queen
If...
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid (fully uncut version)

And about 500 others...

Gordy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Whats left?!! :confused:

Are you joking?!

I guess if your taste is limited to the average Hollywood Blockbuster your collection must be nearly complete.

My unreleased must-buy list is at about 200+ so there's plenty more to come before my collection is near completion.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
My unreleased must-buy list is at about 200+ so there's plenty more to come before my collection is near completion.
And by then, there will be some more movies - old and new, that you will want to see. I'm constantly discovering films I had overlooked or never heard of and I love it!

Gordy

I would by "Grand Prix" in a heartbeat. As old as it is it is still pretty state of the heart for in car camera and the racing footage is awsome. It makes "Driven" seem like even more of a joke.

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator
Doesn't Warner own the rights to........

Cry Terror!

I really enjoyed this movie on TCM and would love to have it on DVD.

Ben

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
As far as Star Wars is concerned -- I'm sick
of hearing about it.
I hope you mean that you're sick of trying to figure out the logic behind why 97 of the top 100 most grossing movies have made it to DVD execpt for the original Star Wars and not that the movies don't deserve the discussions they spark.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Let's also include many of the silent classics from the 1920's as well on the list of films that have yet to surface on DVD. One of the more pleasant surprises I picked up this year was the restored version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis, and I hadn't seen it in its entirety since someone did an alternate score version with rock songs in place of the orchestral score (and I'm not going to even touch upon the Giorgio Moroder-bastardized version). Having this seminal science fiction/expressionist film on DVD is a must, and thank goodness for Kino Video to come to the rescue!

There's also a couple of wonderful silent classics I would love to see on DVD. One is the 1926 version of Ben-Hur, with Ramon Navarro and Francis X. Bushman. I saw it when it was on TNT in 1989, and this film deserves a major DVD release. As a sidebar, they could include as a supplement the very first adaptation of Ben-Hur from way back in 1907 - believe me, I have seen this! It runs only 12 minutes in length and touches upon the highlights of General Lew Wallace's novel. The quality of the video was only fair at best, but at least it was complete.

Another silent classic I recall seeing on TV, though I haven't seen it since, is Cecil B. DeMille's original 1920's version of The Ten Commandments. What I saw of it was breathtaking for its time.

And of course, Abel Gance's four-hour epic film biography of Napoleon. When I saw the two-tape release back in the late 1980's, I was blown away at the quality of the film for its time. These are fine examples of films that are crying out for DVD releases.

And that's not scratching the surface of the many silent films that remain unreleased on DVD. The sooner that these films are uncovered and issued on DVD, the better, before time eats away at them and are lost forever.

Of course, having a new SE of Jim Cameron's Titanic, packed out with all the trimmings, would be nice, as well as finally seeing the mother lode of film, the Star Wars Trilogy.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
White Heat
Laura
Gaslight
A decent version of Double Indemnity
Leave Her to Heaven
The rest of the Marx Bros. films--Night at the Opera, Day at the Races, etc.
Bakshi's Wizards
The African Queen
House of Dracula
The rest of the Hammer horror films--especially Dracula has Risen from the Grave and Taste the Blood of Dracula and Brides of Dracula

All of these would be on my list ahead of Star Wars and Schindler. Star Wars because I've seen it so many times I don't feel like I need to see it again, and Schindler because I saw it once and don't feel like I want to see it again.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
I'd second The Magnificent Ambersons and Bad Day at Black Rock, and I would add The Rapture to my personal list.

The special edition release of Bladerunner has officially entered the I'll believe it when I see's it catagory.

Jimmy

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I'm sure these have already been mentioned, but they're worth mentioning again...

David Lynch's LOST HIGHWAY, and others.
Martin Scorsese's GOODFELLAS and other special editions.
IKIRU by Akira Kurosawa.
Federico Fellini's LA DOLCE VITA.
HAMLET (1996) by Kenneth Branaugh.
And, of course, Spielberg's SCHINDLER'S LIST.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm pleased to see so much more titles mentioned since I last visited this thread with my, uh, "short list". I see boatloads more mentioned that I can't believe I left off, starting with Cocoon.

Hard to believe that going unmentioned so far are two I was discussing recently in other threads or on other forums: 3 Faces Of Eve and Yentl.

Isn't some website somewhere keeping a "master list" of all "MIA" films? Really, that should end this discussion pretty quickly.

Yeah, the big guns may be out for the most part, but the world of filmmaking doesn't end with the big titles. What's left? More films than are currently represented on DVD, I'm sure. Doesn't anyone really think we're even halfway through the list of all the titles that could be mined from the vaults? I don't think so at all.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I'll add the following:

Crossroads with Ralph Macchio, Joe Seneca & Jami Gertz, music by Ry Cooder
Wrestling Ernest Hemingway for fine performances by Robert Duvall, Richard Harris, Shirley MacLaine & Sandra Bullock
Mediterraneo
I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I hope you mean that you're sick of trying to figure out the logic behind why 97 of the top 100 most grossing movies have made it to DVD execpt for the original Star Wars and not that the movies don't deserve the discussions they spark.
The films certainly deserve discussion.

As far as the DVDs: I'm old enough to have seen the originals in theaters, and I've never been a huge fan of them, but I do like Empire, and would like to see it on DVD. For me, however, the version (original or not) that makes it to disc is not critical, but I do understand why folks want the originals on DVD.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Its tempting to dismiss somebody that says only Schindler's List and the Star Wars Trilogy are whats left to be released but as far as high profile catalog releases are concerned the bigbwigs in charge at the studios I think seem to agree with that.

Look at the evidence,has anyone even began to dig deep into their catalog of particularly 30s' movies ? Columbia I suppose should be applauded for their Capra releases and recently Forties'musicals including one of my all-time favourites The Jolson Story but they were really a minor studio during Hollywood's golden age.

Where are the 30s'MGM,Warners,Paramount,Fox and RKO movies ? Yes a few of them are out and a few have been farmed out to Criterion.

Warners to their credit seem to have wakened up to the fact that they have probably the richest catalog of classics and have promised us more Flynn, Cagney, silents, Academy Award winners, Marx Brothers, Hitchcocks, Meet Me In St Louis and That's Entertainment all apparently for next year but new releases like the latest Harry Potter or similar are bound to set some of these back.

Yet even if all these "promises" come to fruition there are still loads of others which have hardly been mentioned : the entire RKO catalog seems to have been getting restored for ages including Fred and Ginger and Bringing Up Baby and what about the 30s' films of Greta Garbo, Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable,Edward G. Robinson and the Busby Berkeley musicals ?

At least Warners seem to have some idea of the gold in their vaults,Universal seem to be completely clueless apart from those entertaining Bing Crosby and Bob Hope double features I can't think of many Paramounts from the 30s (they own all these I think) they've released. Where are the films of W.C. Fields, Mae West, Gary Cooper and Marlene Dietrich ? The fiasco of Scarface was the final insult to classic film fans. Now that the studio has new owners hopefully things will get better.

Fox have done quite well with their Studio classics but I'd like to see some pre-Zanuck material and some of their 30s/40s musicals. Nothing has been said about either of those.

So those of you with long lists of 30s films I wouldn't bet on them all reaching DVD. Technology moves so fast these days and I'm concerned a few won't make it before the next new video format comes along.

I agree with Bill that there are many silents awaiting release but generally I'm quite pleased with the range of silents available on DVD. There are a few big studio titles missing to be sure particularly from MGM and Paramount but most of the major silent stars are well represented (Harold Lloyd being the most notable exception). I think it helps that many of the big silent films are in the public domain or have fallen into the hands of such committed people as David Shepard who love the films. If they had been owned by the big studios I think its unlikely we'd have seen many silents at all apart from Chaplin. No the decade with most gaps is the 1930s : an ironic thought when only a substantial minority of silent films actually exist.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Well, here's my list...

1. ALICE COOPER: THE NIGHTMARE (1975 Television Special with Vincent Price)
2. ALICE COOPER: THE NIGHTMARE RETURNS (1986 Concert video)
3. BLADE RUNNER - SPECIAL EDITION
4. DEATH BECOMES HER (in OAR)
5. DIAL "M" FOR MURDER
6. ED WOOD
7. FANDANGO
8. THE GREAT ESCAPE - SPECIAL EDITION
9. HOUSE OF LONG SHADOWS
10. INNOCENT BLOOD (in OAR)
11. KING KONG
12. LIFEBOAT
13. NOISES OFF
14. PHANTASM II
15. PHANTASM III: LORD OF THE DEAD
16. PSYCHO II (in OAR)
17. PSYCHO IV: THE BEGINNING
18. REAL MEN (in OAR)
19. REBOOT - SEASONS 1, 2 and 4 (Season 4 was actually two 2-Hour movies cut into 8 episodes)
20. THE SHADOW (in OAR)
21. ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY
22. SUSPICION
23. TRUE LIES - SPECIAL EDITION
24. TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE
25. THE UNTOUCHABLES - SPECIAL EDITION
26. THE WIZARD OF SPEED AND TIME

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Most of the recent catalog titles are already out. The only ones I'm really waiting for are The Agony And The Ecstasy, Eating Raoul, and The Wind And The Lion, the latter already being announced for Jan. 2004.

Of course, the back catalog (for me, pre-1960) is still largely untapped. Glad I got Duck Soup when I did....:D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of films on these lists that are just really old, and I have my doubts as to having them ever restored due to their condition. Do any of you that want these sort of have them on a 'wishful thinking' list?

Like, ok, these would be great, but the odds of them ever seeing the light of day are like a trillion to one - and even if they are great, the demand for them is going to be really small, which makes getting them on to DVD next to impossible.

No, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but the studios are in it for the $$$, and unless they are making extra tons of it right now charging what they are are for the DVD's that are out, I seriously doubt that anything more than a handful will ever see the light of day.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks