What's new

Whats good cheap FP for mid-low-end HT? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
David Boulet,
OK. Given your championing of Front Projection, here is my question. Given that I personally am working with a low budget, how does the $2600-2800 CAD AE100 compare in picture quality to:
1) Pioneer SD533HD $4999.00 CAD (but possibly lower)
2) Sony KP51HW40 $4499.00 or KP57HW40 $3499.00
???
Since you mention HD front projectors, and the AE100 is just not quite HD really. Its close, but now cigar, right?
I have heard that RPTV's look sharper than LCD projectors? So whats the deal in my above comparison?
If I went for Front Projection, I could have a larger screen and save $1500-$2000.00 CAD. All above comparisons are in CAD :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I have heard that RPTV's look sharper than LCD projectors?
First of all, that myth just ain't so. A decent front projector...screen size for screen size...looks sharper and more detailed than any RP set out there.
I've heard great things about that AE100.
Visit avscience.com. Click on "forums", then find the "DLP/LCD...Projectors" forum and click on it. Do a search on the AE100. That is an amazing forum. I promise you'll find any answers to any questions you might have.
Just for starters, here are some thread that would interest you:
comparing the AE100 to the LT 150:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=130507
ae100...is it worth it? Yes it is!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=130141
Enjoy...email me if you have any more questions.
BTW, any others of you wondering what this "projector" thing is all about and if it's really better than a big-screen 16x9 HD RP TV make sure you check this forum out yourself.
-dave ;)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I am a proud new owner of a ae100. :) So far I've just been using a sheet of blackout fabric to get a feel for what I want to do. I'm thinking that I will paint the fabric some shade of grey to help improve contrast. So far I am very happy with the picture and at times flabbergasted.
I'll be sure to give more updates.
Jon

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Being flabbergasted is very good. Keep up the flabbergasting. Sorry, I just wanted an excuse to use that word in a sentence.

What is blackout fabric?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ohyeah, like for widescreen bars, are they like inivisble or can you still see them???

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Let me echo Dave's thoughts - go FP!

I have the best of both worlds right now - 4:3 50" Toshiba RPTV that I use for TV viewing and a NEC LT150 DLP paired with a 100" Dalite Hipower screen that I use for watching DVDs - and the occasional bout of XBox gaming!

Watching DVDs on the large screen is a definite treat and really creates a true cinema like experience.

Chris - blackout material is the black bordering material one sees around a screen. It is used to absorb stray light from a projector and improves the perceived contrast of an image. Much like the use of mattes for watching widescreen movies on a 4:3 tv.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Lou,
I believe the blackout material they are talking about above is the white blackout material that is found on some window shades. It blocks all light from coming through. I bought some from Joans Fabric for use with my LT150. I built the screen and it works beautifully. If you want higher than 1.0 gain then you can paint it which alot of people over at AVS have. Add some grey to improv your blacks.
The blackout you are talking about is usually refered to as masking.
Just wanted to clarify. :)
I love my FP setup and will never go back to direct view for dvd watching.

Users who are viewing this thread