What's new

What's currently the most prized item/s in your DVD collection and why ? (1 Viewer)

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
Freaks & Geeks -- This was a blind buy for me. A great show, with terrific extras.

Do the Right Thing (Criterion release) -- Great film with amazing extras. The video of the cast's table read was fascinating.

Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box -- The only DVD I bought on eBay because I couldn't find it in stores. Well worth it.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
* Little Shop of Horrors with alternate ending
* Silence of the Lambs Criterion Collection
* Spinal Tap Criterion Collection (with additional footage not on MGM disc and original title cards)
* Mummy Ultimate Edition (out of print superior DTS track)
* Anchor Bay Maximum Overdrive (with 5.1 Surround)
* Original I Know What You Did Last Summer disc (with banned trailer)
* Original Devil's Advocate (without digital alterations)
* 2-disc Shrek (widescreen with DTS)

-Lyle J.P.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
John,

Buena Vista sued Columbia TriStar for using the phrase "From the Creator of Scream" in their trailers for IKWYDLS. The DVD was recalled two days before it was supposed to come out, but several retailers sold their copies anyway. When the disc was finally re-released, the trailer had been edited.

-Lyle J.P.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I have an original Aeon Flux anime which I prize for its rarity (a rarity which will be in effect until the live action version of Aeon Flux prompts the reissue of the original anime, at which time I will no longer prize it so much).

I prize my two special editions of The Fifth Element from the US and the UK, because together they present pretty much every bonus "element" one could possible have (though a cast commentary of some sort is still missed).

I prize my Italian import of Wim Wender's fantastic Until the End of the World - the multi-hour version. But because it is region locked for Italy, I can't actually watch it anywhere except on my PC, a situation which sucks donkey balls. (The United Nations should really look into this whole region code anti-free-trade situation).

I prize the two volumes of Chris Elliot's hilarious Get a Life tv series, because Rhino never got off their asses and released the whole series like everyone wants them to. So these two volumes are like flakes of gold, or at the very least they're flaky.

And I sort of prize a promo DVD I got which is about the making of the DVD of A.I. (or at least about what one can expect to be on the DVD of A.I.). I think it was meant for retailers, to entice retailers to buy lots and lots of Speilberg's A.I. DVD. In any event it seems kinda rare and I am glad to have it. Did I say I have it? No, no I don't. If any executives are reading this, I don't actually have it, I imagined the whole thing. But it makes the 2-DVD set into a 3-DVD set. So that feels complete.

There are other DVDs that I value highly, but would not freak out about if they were stolen from me - things that could be easily rebought.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Well, at the present moment my two most prized DVDs are my region 3 edition of 'My Neighbor Totoro' ( OAR and subtitled in English ) and 'Bambi'. 'Bambi' is a recent release and therefore not a rare item, but I love the movie to bits.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I'm quite proud of my I Drink Your Blood: Signed Ltd Edition DVD. It took me a long time to find, but it was definintely worth it!

I also love Blue Underground's The Mondo Cane Collection, even though I don't exactly watch them every day!

For sheer entertianment value, I'd probably have to say The Alien Quadrilogy is high on the list.

In fact... I love all my DVD's!

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
All of my Criterion box sets are prized, Brazil,Dreyer,Bergman,Truffaut, and Fassbinder.

2 disc versions of Fight Club, ID 4 and The Abyss.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I remember this, and I even remember you reporting it on your wonderful website at the time it happened, Steve. What I don't remember is anyone ever actually referring to it as Pinocchio of Egypt, however. Thank you for making me laugh out loud this dreary Monday morning. :)

Link Removed

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I realize it's maybe not as rare or high-brow as some of the titles mentioned above, but:

Big Trouble in Little China 2-disc special edition. Mostly because you can't get the 2-disc set anymore... and the picture quality is excellent... and it's one of my favorite movies.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Well, as family is prized by me over all things I guess I would pick the DVD that we as a family enjoy the most.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
  • E.T. The Extra-terrestrial UGS
  • Disney Treasures - Silly Symphonies
  • Disney Treasures - Front Lines
  • 'Vertigo' (w/orange cover autographed by Robert Harris :) )

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
It has to be one of the Disney Treasures and, since I never thought I'd see it, I'll go for Mickey Mouse in Black and White Volume 1.

Stu King

Auditioning
- Halloween - 2 disc limited edition (Anchor Bay)

- Little Shop of Horrors with alternative ending

- Big Trouble In Little China (2 Disc)

- Dances with Wolves (Theatrical - DTS)

- Robocop (criterion)

- Silence of the Lambs (criterion)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My OOP Criterion Hitchcocks, not because they're worth a lot, but because they were gifts, and because I love all of the films.

Second place would go to my canadian Amelie boxed set. It's such a neat collection of goodies. Unfortuanately, I was never able to find the french tin set.

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator
The Ultimate Toybox. It's a crime that more people can't enjoy this wonderful set since it's OOP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks