What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Almost anything I cook starts by sauteing an onion in some kind of oil. Canola for what will later be spicy things: EVO for things of more delicate flavor. And of course peanut oil for stir-fry.

Onions can be so cheap. Around here they go on sale for $4 for a 25lb sack of regular yellow onions.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Spiral Ham as my new weight regime starts Tuesday.

Ham by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Ham by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Not so 'secret' ingredient: Li Hing Mui on the fresh, chilled Pineapple.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_hing_mui

Make sure you get the version without Aspartame.

Also:
0nP0R7d.gif

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For those interested in a good cooking show, Hulu now has Jamie Oliver's original BBC cooking show "The Naked Chef" up for streaming.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
Almost anything I cook starts by sauteing an onion in some kind of oil. Canola for what will later be spicy things: EVO for things of more delicate flavor. And of course peanut oil for stir-fry.

Onions can be so cheap. Around here they go on sale for $4 for a 25lb sack of regular yellow onions.

Peanut and Olive oils are great, a bit pricy, but you know where they come from. Corn oil is a good substitute for generic sautéing.

What is a Canola? It's a chemically manufactured oil. I'm not some hippie organic whack job, but Canola has a very suspicious background. I'd avoid it as much as possible.​

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Who's to say peanuts or olives aren't also subject to genetic modification? And corn is probably just as manipulated (not just genetically) as canola, if not more so, if you've read Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma or seen the documentary King Corn.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
DaveF said:
I took a knife-skills cooking class several years ago and learning that onion-cutting technique changed my life!

I have a friend who advises a slight variation: When doing the second set of cuts, follow the curvature of the onion so you're making radial cuts to the center, which will give you more even sized pieces. The trade off is the angled cut may be more dangerous, so sharp knife is critical.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Stan said:
Peanut and Olive oils are great, a bit pricy, but you know where they come from. Corn oil is a good substitute for generic sautéing.

What is a Canola? It's a chemically manufactured oil. I'm not some hippie organic whack job, but Canola has a very suspicious background. I'd avoid it as much as possible.​

Nonsense. Canola oil comes from rapeseed. Because they thought people would be hesitant to buy something called "rapeseed oil." According to wiki, "Can" is for "Canada" and "ola" stands for "oil," because that's where the name was thought up. Canola oil is one of the healthiest cooking oils.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Nonsense. Canola oil comes from rapeseed. Because they thought people would be hesitant to buy something called "rapeseed oil." According to wiki, "Can" is for "Canada" and "ola" stands for "oil," because that's where the name was thought up. Canola oil is one of the healthiest cooking oils.

The whole "rapeseed" thing is understandable, bad name. But there's a lot more behind the scenes. Canola is an oil you should avoid.

Good oils are extracted from the original product, not created or chemically processed until an "oil" finally emerges.

Don't want to start an argument, done with this thread.​

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There is a section on the canola wiki about genetic modification issues, but to say that corn is safer, especially when its got such a foothold in everything we (and livestock) consume, is highly questionable.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From the 2015 Best-of Cook's Illustrated magazine: Tuscan-Style Beef Stew. This is an odd recipe, in that it uses vegetables for flavoring, then discards them to result in stewed beef chunks with a savory sauce. It's good, but expensive. I want to merge this with a traditional beef stew to get the umami merged with the potatoes and carrots of a regular stew.

IMG_6721.jpg IMG_6722.jpg IMG_6723.jpg IMG_6724.jpg IMG_6726.jpg IMG_6727.jpg IMG_6728.jpg IMG_6732.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
As always, it's important to keep your knives very sharp. More cuts on your fingers have been done with dull knives.

**** Warning **** Somewhat graphic story ahead.

Renting an apartment about 25 years ago where the kitchen had a tall, bar stool type of counter where you could look out into the living room and watch TV.

Love to cook and try new recipes, was watching the TV and also chopping garlic and cut off about 1/3 inch of the end of my thumb, right through the nail, knife went through it like it was butter. Blood like you can't imagine. Surprisingly didn't pass out or panic, just calmly wrapped it up and drove myself to the ER. They cauterized it (nothing left to sew up with stitches). Sent me on my way with this gigantic splint thing and loads of gauze wrapped around it.

Amazingly over the next year it healed, and kind of like a lizard's tail, everything grew back. No scar, would never even know it had happened.

As the Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith taught me, "keep your fingers bent under" when using a knife.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
From the 2015 Best-of Cook's Illustrated magazine: Tuscan-Style Beef Stew. This is an odd recipe, in that it uses vegetables for flavoring, then discards them to result in stewed beef chunks with a savory sauce. It's good, but expensive. I want to merge this with a traditional beef stew to get the umami merged with the potatoes and carrots of a regular stew.

View attachment 29252 View attachment 29253 View attachment 29254 View attachment 29255 View attachment 29256 View attachment 29257 View attachment 29258 View attachment 29259

Dave,

Do you sauté the beef in oil first so it gets a crust or do you dump the raw meat in the liquid?

Raul

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This recipe splits the difference: Half the beef is fried in oil to brown all sides and develop a fond (deglazed when the wine and water are added). The other half is then added raw. This simplifies the recipe somewhat, not requiring multiple batches for browning.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
**** Warning **** Somewhat graphic story ahead.
(...Edited for YIKES!...)

As the Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith taught me, "keep your fingers bent under" when using a knife.

Yikes!

Given the sacrifice made to the kitchen gods that day, I hope your recipe turned out phenomenally!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yikes!

Given the sacrifice made to the kitchen gods that day, I hope your recipe turned out phenomenally!

I honestly don't even remember. Given the blood factor, everything was tossed. Learned a very painful lesson that day.

Learned another one a year or two later, don't put a wooden spoon in your blender, even if you think you're high enough above the blades. No injuries but a big mess.

Also don't try to deep fry in a two quart sauce pan. Mega boil over, started a fire, which thankfully I was able to put out, followed by hours of cleanup.

All just growing pains from my younger years as I taught myself how to cook.

Probably the best one came from my mother, not me. She made a cake from scratch and somehow reversed the salt & sugar, obviously not a good result. Have no idea how somebody keeps that much salt, but guess things were different in the '50s, way before my time.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Most French stews are cooked that way. it makes the sauce better and at the same time you don't have overcooked veggies. Actually, that's the way I've always cooked my stews. This is actually like making a stock. Use your leftover carrots, onions, celery, etc.. (I really don't know why potatoes are in there , but...), and use them for the first cooking and then use your fresh veggies for the finish.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks