What's new

What's a LFE attenuator and do i need it? (1 Viewer)

Brent Tichenor

Auditioning
My reciever has on its set up menus a LFE attenuator. The manual says it is to be used for preventing the ultra low bass tones from distoring the sound of the speakers. Do I need it?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Brent,

Most receiver/decoders have a setting like that, or a button for it. It's mainly a boost of the subwoofer level (3 dB or so; more on some rceivers). You can get the same result by setting the sub louder.

So, no, after careful calibrating your setup, you don't need it. If your receiver has a button to that effect (and not just a setting that has to be changed), it may come handy now and then when you happen to have a DVD lacking "something" in the bass regions. Some people never use it.

Cees

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Cees, but I think he means the cut used, as he mentioned , by a receiver so any very low signals don't distort the sub.

Brent, what settings does your receiver have for LFE attenuation?? Is it just a -3DB cut or does it allow you to adjust when the signal gets the cut?

Brent
Nice name?

P.s. If you have a "bass boost" of some sort I'd suggest NOT using it.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I belive it's a Pioneer Receiver and most likely from a higher up 11 series possibly.

They really do not give much of a explanation of it at all.

Quote:
LFE Attenuator Setting

*Default setting: 0db

Dolby Digital and DTS audio sources include ultra low bass tones. Set the LFE attenuator as necessary to prevent the ultra-low bass tones from distorting the sound from the speakers.

0db to 10db
End Quote:
=======>
So just what the heck dose that mean????
This is all that is mentioned in the (whole manual about it). I would think it would deal with just the sub=LFE, but they mention speakers so it may apply to spekers when set to large and the sub. Your guess is as good as mine.

I'd set it to 5 then Avia calibrate the system and see what happens. May turn it down, up, may leave it. Being that the 11 series Pioneers are said to be soft-thin sounding, maybe this will help the bottom end "possibly.

Unless someone knows for sure, I belive one just has to experiment with it....

Brent:
If the Receiver that started the post is not a 11 series Pioneer, I appolgize!

Just what receiver are you speaking of???

Others:
Dose anyone have experience with the Pioneer 711, 811, ~{which the Quote above}~ was directly pulled from the manual????

What have you found using this feature and where do you have it set, and why? Also dose it have memorie for the different formates, DP,DPII,DD,DTS??

Regards
Geoff

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
My brother in law has the 711 and I looked and he has it set on LFEATT 10. I asked him why, and he said it sounded better. I say just experiment, and trust your ears. It seems to have memories for whatever funtion it is using such as dvd,tv,cd,vcr. Such as if prologic II is activated in tv, but not in dvd it remembers and stays that way. Now what is the low cut filter thing for?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks