What's new

What's a good racing game, for casual player? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm looking for a fun racing game for the Xbox 360 to play with the MS Racing Wheel.

I played a bit of Burnout 3 Takedown on the original Xbox and loved it. When I bought my 360, I bought Burnout Revenge and Burnout Paradise. Revenge was a lot of fun, I've effectively finished -- I've accomplished 90% of what I can.

Paradise is...an interesting concept...but two years of I must admit it's a terrible game for me. I don't want practice becoming a NYC taxi driver by memorizing a map and intersections. I want to race. And crash into things. Similarly, I don't want a virtual experience of fixing car engines, so hardcore sims don't appeal to me.

Are there any other fun racing games, that are more arcade than sim: something that gets at the joy of racing going back to (my favorite) Beetle Adventure Racing (N64) or Burnout 3 and 4? Should I just buy Burnout 3 Takedown for the 360?

Thanks!

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
I think that PGR4 is actually inching towards realism, but I think it'd still be arcady enough for you. I liked it quite a bit. You can find it cheap enough. If you need to renew a Live subscription, you can basically get it free with a 12 month Live gold card.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still think the "Need For Speed" series was/is one of the better "arcade style" racing series. There is a level of car management, but it is mostly a matter of pay, bolt on, and go. You don't have to spend a lot of time tweaking performance. That being said I'm not sure what the last offering in the series is like (Shift?) because I haven't tried it yet.

One of their old ones "Need For Speed: Most Wanted" was a fun one. I'm pretty sure it is compatible with racing wheels; although, for things like NFS, I prefer the pad.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage is fun.

I agree that Beetle Adventure Racing is a great (and fun!) game with lots of secrets and fun things to do!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the comments. But I think I found my next game :)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2010/05/splitsecond-review-entire-seat-paid-for-only-used-edge.ars

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm very excited by the review and the video demo. If it plays decently with the wheel and is accessible to a mediocre racer like myself, it's on the gift list :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The guys at my local GameStop speak very highly of Split Second. They recommended it over Blur. I plan to try both demos -- just need to get around to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks