Whatever happened to Theme Show Music?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Jun 4, 2009.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
  2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I like a good theme as much as anyone but when they have a choice of using 30 to 60 seconds on story or wasting 30 to 60 seconds on a theme song, I'm glad they choose to use the time for the story.

3. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I skip the theme and intro on pretty much every show I DVR after the first time (which is exclusively how I watch TV). It's a waste of time for me. The only ones I watch are the Simpsons because of the different couch gags, and if I know ahead of time that there's a different intro (like the recent Michael Scott Paper company version for The Office). For some reason, I usually watch the 30 Rock intro all the way through because I like the theme and it's pretty short.
    Incidentally, even though it's only 12 seconds, I usually skip the Ugly Betty intro anyway.

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Think if Green Acres, Star Trek, Beverly Hillbillies and others did'nt have themes. Themes set the stage for a great viewing experience. Most shows today forgo them for added commercial time. Look at Dexter what a great Theme and visuals, it greately enhances the show to come.

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    We DVR virtually everything we watch, and generally watch the opening credits if there are any (examples include NCIS, House, BSG--where we grew to love the pre-cap, The Unit).

6. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

Agreed entirely, Dexter has the best opening sequence I've seen in a long time. (Though I was a little annoyed during a certain episode when they rehashed it in the middle of it.)
    But, I do think some shows don't really need one. I can't think of anything more fitting for Lost, for example, than the logo moving across the screen and the accompanying sound.

7. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

8. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

I've found a lot of good end title themes that are never heard on broadcast because of 'next week' previews.
    For whatever reason, I never skip title sequences even if I've seen them literally thousands of times. On DVD, reruns, doesn't matter. They still help establish the world the show is bringing the viewer into, even if it's episode 152.
    My favorite is one I hear daily: CBS Evening News. Though I am a bit biased in calling it my favorite.

9. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    I like the opening credits to Chuck, and almost never skip them. One of the few shows today, where they have opening sequence AND show the person of the cast with their name on it. The only other ones that I can think of, are the CSIs, Law & Orders, 30 Rock.

I can remember back in the 80's, I would only watch the opening sequences of some shows (like Dallas and The Love Boat), then change the channel.

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Same here.

11. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I remember doing the same thing withe Welcome Back Kotter (another hit theme they didn't mention), One Day at a Time etc...

12. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Only because they chopped 'story time' first in favour of ad time, and now chop 'theme time' to recover a bit back.
    No surprise then that cable shows are the only ones that still have full-blown opening sequences with themes, as discussed in the article.

13. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Some great theme songs that I think setup their shows.

Hell, I loved that theme so much I bought the soundtrack.. not once, but at least three times.
    Very few theme songs get the entire concept of a show in 1 minute. This does.

Could you imagine this show without the theme?

Or this one?

Along with a ton of others. [​IMG]

14. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    On of my favorites.. ever.

15. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    And of course, 80s cartoons had awesome ones:

16. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

The only theme music I've consistently enjoyed is a bit old, but I really like "Star Trek: Voyager" with the opening visuals and the great music in the background.

The only thing I listen to now is "The Big Bang Theory", nothing else really stands out, so a quick fast forward to skip it.

Just switched to DISH and now have Showtime, so am looking forward to them rerunning Dexter. I've never seen it, but episodes 1-3 played earlier this week. Hopefully they'll repeat, because I ended up with a dud DVR where the hard drive failed after four days, so lost all my recordings. 4-5 are playing next week, so may be out of luck.

17. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Dexter theme.. which admittedly, is my favorite currently running.

18. Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell Screenwriter

Greg K.
    The Big Bang Theory's intro is the only one I watch every time, but it's short and quick.
    Lots of other good ones but I usually skip them if I've seen them more than a couple times.

19. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Yeah - for those that haven't seen the LONG form CBS promo before the show's premiere:

20. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

One of my favorites. HBO really does good theme music.

And this, which is appropriate for the D-Day anniversary. I really love instrumental themes.