Whatever happened to the 1962 Brando Version o f' mutiny on the Bounty"?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by GMpasqua, Oct 21, 2010.

1. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    This remake was rumored to come out with the 1935 Version (Clark Gable) which arrives on Blu-ray in Nov. While the 35 version is better, the 62 version will blow it away on Blu-ray : this was a large format widescreen color film. Warner already has the HD transfer which was issued on the other High Def format which has disappeared

2. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    It is very much a matter of opinion if the first version is better than the remake. When the '62 version came out on HD-DVD, everyone raved about the picture quality. I'd love to have it on BRD. I'm sure others would too.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The DVD of the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty looks great (got it as part of the Brando box set), so I can imagine this looks stupendous on HD-DVD. It must have sold very poorly for Warners to have waited so long to port it over to Blu-ray.

4. PRO-630HD

PRO-630HD Extra

I own the hddvd and it is exceptional. Fantastic PQ, especially when first released.

5. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    That's funny. Did the PQ of the HD-DVD deteriorate over time? I think perhaps you mean the PQ seemed great at the time but wouldn't measure up to current-day standards?

6. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I think it looks great on HD DVD. The only reason I keep an HD DVD player in my setup is for the titles like this (and Grand Prix) which have not yet been released on Blu. Also, I think it is quite a decent film.

7. john a hunter

john a hunter Supporting Actor

It could look even better on Blu depend on how it's encoded. It will certainly sound better with lossless audio and do justice at last to the great score.

8. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Still no word on the tite coming to Blu-ray? Didn't Warner do a HD master when they released this title on the now de-funct HD Disc? Are they still planning to release it or does it require a new master (the other is 4 years old)

or will this now become a 50th anniversary release in 2012 ?

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I watched the HD DVD about a month back for the first time- it looked sensational.

10. snoopy28574

snoopy28574 Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure everyone reading here knows what you were trying to say. Best to ignore people when they nit pick you. I would love to see an 8k transfer done, but will settle for whatever comes out on blue. Providing a good review of course. I never buy blind unless its DVD.