What's new

Whatever happened to that "GIANT" re-release? (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
The thread topic says it all folks.....where is it? I thought it was getting an LDI restoration and a 5.1 track for a full region 1 (not just Canada) launch. It is an AFI 100 film, and I'm quite sure that Warner will give us the two disc SE style package which Zhivago and Kane got. I sold my Canadian edition on Ebay after hearing that a new one was on the way, but I'm getting a little concerned now, evrnthough, I'm sure we'll see it at some point. Also, has anyone heard anything regarding "East of Eden?" I have been anxious to know why Warner has been slow with the James Dean titles.
Reg:frowning:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't recall a re-release ever being officially announced. I think it was just a rumour that got started at The Digital Bits.

The fact that they discontinued the previous Canada only DVD suggests problems with rights issues to me.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Someone at Warner must have thrown it in the vault along with the thousands of other movies that they are keeping hidden from the public.

And some people are hoping that Warner buys MGM...sheesh.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Rumor is legal issues held up the release plans for a while. They're back on track now and a deluxe special edition will be out later this year.

Warner's catalog output this year is triple what it was last year, and far more agressive than virtually any of the other studios. Let's give them a little more credit, huh?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
and far more agressive than virtually any of the other studios
You mean MGM, Columbia, Paramount...sorry but I have to disagree. Yes they have made improvements but I'm very sceptical about what they decide to release. And at the present rate it will still be many, many years before we see some of the greatest movies in Hollywood history.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Giant definately needs some digital work done to the image because of the "wonderful" lab work WarnerColor did in the 1950's.

The version on tape and TV now is the restored version which does look great...but all the optical shots look awful. Warner's optical department at the time duped an entire SHOT instead of just enough to allow for the dissolve to be put in. Some of these shots last for a minute or two, so you got a real problem there.

I'd much rather have Giant on DVD (along with the hundreds of titles everyone here is requesting from WB) in top form instead of getting a piece of crap. A commentary with George Stevens Jr and Dennis Hopper would be fantastic, BTW.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've been one of Warner's biggest detractors during the past 18 months regarding its snail-pace release of catalog titles. However, they seem to be making an effort to do better by classic film fans, so my plan is to wait a year and see how sincere they are.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I agree Patrick.
It appears that we will hopefully be getting a two-disc edition of this title by years-end. Since Liz Taylor participated in the documentary (at the last minute, if memory serves) on Paramounts "A Place in the Sun" disc last fall, perhaps Warner will be able to secure her (heck, they got Heston for Ben-hur and Sharif for Zhivago) for a scene specific commentary on Giant! This would definitely be worth the wait if they couple commentaries with the existing features on the Canadian disc (I predict that this is probably what'll happen, as Warner did this with Zhivago - new commentary, but old features). If LDI is working on the image and sound.....oh man!
:D
Reg

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I would love to see a re-release of "Giant." I actually held the original release in my hands but put it back because it had a small crease on the cover (gotta hate those snappers!) Two of Elizabeth Taylor's best friends co-starred with her in this film (Hudson and Dean) and am sure she would be glad to do an interview or better yet a commentary! Gettin' excited!

Andy Budgell

An Elizabeth Taylor and Judy Garland fan that is not happy do to the lack of their films being released on DVD!!

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
A Liz Taylor commentary would be a hoot. Any time she talks she is funny as hell, not intentionally of course, but thats ok.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
If Warners really wanted to release more catalog titles, don't you think we would see them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks