What's new

Whatever Happened To??? - Abandoned Season Releases (1 Viewer)

JeffCNY

Agent
Season Four of "Starsky & Hutch?"

Season Two of "Baretta?"

Season Three of "Charley's Angels?"

Season Two of "S.W.A.T.?"

True, these TV shows matter little in the grand scheme of world progress, but when a studio brings forth season releases of television shows, is it too much to hope that they'll stick with it?

There's a trend here. A multi-million dollar "big screen" remake of a classic show is announced, and the original series is rushed onto DVD in the hopes of riding the gravy train for a while.

Invariably, the big screen remake is a quickly forgotten disaster, revenue dries up... and with it, all plans to release subsequent seasons of the TV show. Or so it seems. Watch what happens with "Bewitched!"

As for "Baretta," likely the whole sordid Robert Blake murder case was the fuel for the DVD release, and when it turned out to be something less than another O.J. case, well... the DVD release schedule seems to have waned as quickly as public interest in the trial.

Rather astonishing to read of proposed releases for things like "Hawaii 5-0," when you consider the show ran for about ten seasons. Does anyone >really< think even Season Two will see the light of day?

Gosh... fans of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" had to virtually pry Season Two out of the studio's clutching hands!

I think a wee bit of loyalty and commitment to fans and consumers would be a refreshing change.

Jeff

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I agree with you 100% Jeff, but there is one little symbol here on my keyboard that might claify things:

$

For many thousands, if not millions of these, most of the studios would sell out their own mothers.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
Money is definitely the bottom line. If a season set sells well, more will come. If sales disappoint, then no more sets. That's all there is to it. It's not about "pleasing" or "owing" the fans. I'm amazed at how often this has to be re-stated. One can't expect a studio to pump money into DVDs that won't sell sufficient copies, not when they have so much other product lying around. Studios are in business. When they "satisfy" fans, it's because it is in their interest to do so. That's not a slam against them, that's just how the world works. No one starts a business to lose money, after all.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Son of the Beach!

it was even up for pre-order and then...

I want my Johnson!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Mork And Mindy? (dunno if it's abandoned or not, but Paramount is so much slower than usual when it comes to the Garry Marshall titles)
Diff'rent Strokes?

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I have no reasons to worry but I will keep my fingers tightly crossed for all five seasons of:

Taxi (1&2 out)
NewsRadio (1&2 out)
The Muppet Show (1 coming)

Haden

Supporting Actor
Add Dallas to the list. Sure season 3 is scheduled for August, but for awhile there it was pretty iffy. Season 4 might happen too, just to finish wrapping up the popular Who Shot JR run, but who knows if we'll get anymore seasons after that. Releasing one season per year is damn slow for a series this big (I'm talking Simpsons slow) and with 13 seasons of Dallas I doubt we'll ever get the whole thing.

I wish lengthy series like this could get the kind of release schedule treatment that M*A*S*H has been given. 8 seasons so far in just 3 1/2 years is pretty good.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Crime Story Season 2

Oh I know it's scheduled for release in September, but when you consider that Anchor Bay promised both seasons in the Fall of 2003, and Season 1 didn't come out till November, Season 2 was then promised in the Fall of 2004, then nothing. Then in early 2005 it was promised again sometime in the year, months went by and finally it was promised in August. Then delayed till September. Quite frankly I'll believe they'll release it when I see it in the store. :D

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
NYPD Blue

This one seems to have suffered the same fate as The Mary Tyler Moore Show; it still surprises me that only two seasons of this long running police drama have been released to date. I'm assuming that lack of sales on the first two seasons are keeping Fox from releasing more.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Am waiting for
Party of Five 2
Who's the Boss 2

Luckily Once and Again 2 is on its way in August

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

Hell, yeah! It looks grim for Volume 2 though. Volume 1 was released on April 29, 2003 and now, nearly 26 months later, still no sign of Volume 2. The biggest kick-in-the-pants is that Volume 2 would have completed the series on DVD.

Hey, 20th Century Fox, where's the rest of my Johnson?

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
They sure are taking their time with releasing "ER" on DVD too. What's up with that??

WolframM

Auditioning
Waiting for:
Everwood S2
American Dreams S2
Without a Trace S2

Lost hope:
Malcolm in the Middle S2
Party of Five S2
NYPD Blue S3

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting for "Without a Trace" Season 2 too. I missed that whole season. I also want more "Dream On."

Do you think we will see more shows follow the example of shows like Smallville, Alias, The OC, 24, One Tree Hill? Those are shows that are releasing their seasons on DVD after the season airs. I like that.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, this is Sony (aka Columbia Tristar) we're talking about. They'd be stupid to not release more PO5 considering Matthew Fox is hotter than ever because of Lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks