What would youto get w/ Canon Employee Discount? Help me decide.....

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Kevin Alexander, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I have a friend who works for Canon and he can get me the following cameras at these prices:

Powershot G5...$349
    Powershot S50...$249
    Powershot S400...$199
    Powershot A70...$129
    Powershot A300...$89

This will be our first digital camera and from the research I've done I think I've settled on the A70. Basically, I want a camera that I can use for web pictures and the occasional vacation that my wife and I take. Is there a reason to move to a more expensive camera? Is there something that you camera experts know that I don't know? Thanks for your help.

2. Kevin Alexander

I have a friend who works for Canon and he can get me the following cameras at these prices:

Powershot G5...$349
    Powershot S50...$249
    Powershot S400...$199
    Powershot A70...$129
    Powershot A300...$89

This will be our first digital camera and from the research I've done I think I've settled on the A70. Basically, I want a camera that I can use for web pictures and the occasional vacation that my wife and I take. Is there a reason to move to a more expensive camera? Is there something that you camera experts know that I don't know? Thanks for your help.

3. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

The A70 sounds like an excellent choice for your needs... it's a very well regarded point & shoot digital camera that has some manual control features. The menu and navigation systems are well thought out.

Two things it DOESN'T have that would be nice: the ability to shoot RAW format, and the ability to see on-screen histograms... but these are features most novices don't care about, and are usually only on higher end cameras.

-Scott

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

The A70 sounds like an excellent choice for your needs... it's a very well regarded point & shoot digital camera that has some manual control features. The menu and navigation systems are well thought out.

Two things it DOESN'T have that would be nice: the ability to shoot RAW format, and the ability to see on-screen histograms... but these are features most novices don't care about, and are usually only on higher end cameras.

-Scott

5. Kevin Alexander

thanks Scott.

6. Kevin Alexander

thanks Scott.

7. Michael St. Clair

I like the LCD twist screens...great for taking pictures with the camera up high, down low, or turned back at yourself.

The G5 is a lot of coin, though. I really have my eye on the A80, guess it is too new for your discount, which is a shame.

8. Michael St. Clair

I like the LCD twist screens...great for taking pictures with the camera up high, down low, or turned back at yourself.

The G5 is a lot of coin, though. I really have my eye on the A80, guess it is too new for your discount, which is a shame.

9. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

I have an A70, it's been a good camera. They are a getting little cheaper at retail now, with the advent of the A75 and A80, so be sure your discount is commensurate.

And while you're at it, ask your friend what Canon will be unveiling at Photokina! Maybe you will want to wait! And let us all know, of course.

JK

10. John Kilroy

I have an A70, it's been a good camera. They are a getting little cheaper at retail now, with the advent of the A75 and A80, so be sure your discount is commensurate.

And while you're at it, ask your friend what Canon will be unveiling at Photokina! Maybe you will want to wait! And let us all know, of course.

JK

11. Kevin Alexander

Those prices are good until August 31st 2004. Then, a new employee catalog comes out.

12. Kevin Alexander

Those prices are good until August 31st 2004. Then, a new employee catalog comes out.

13. John Kilroy

Those are cheap prices...the A70 is a no-brainer at that price.

14. John Kilroy

Those are cheap prices...the A70 is a no-brainer at that price.

15. Kevin Alexander

OK, I took possesion of the A70 yesterday! Any providers of free webspace to post web pictures?

16. Kevin Alexander

OK, I took possesion of the A70 yesterday! Any providers of free webspace to post web pictures?

17. John K Carter

John K Carter Stunt Coordinator

18. John K Carter

John K Carter Stunt Coordinator

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

From what I read, Circuit City was selling the Canon A75 for $150 (though don't know if it was a pricing foul-up or not), but I've heard the price might be getting corrected. I am going to check out CC after work and see if I can get one special-ordered at the $150 price if none are in stock, can't hurt to try.

20. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Kevin,

Now that you've got you camera, "Can your friend be my friend for a while?" [​IMG]

Troy