What's new

What would you do with $2,500 (1 Viewer)

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent
I have a budget of $2500 for a new 2.1 system including (reciever,fronts,and sub). I have a few ideas but was hoping for the opinions of a few of you. I will be using it primarily for music, and would perfer to get a reciever that was capable to run 5.1 at somepoint in the future. I look forward to hearing what you have to say. I am excited because this will be my first system, I have saved up so I can hopefully do it right the first time.

If any of you out there are running a 2.1, what do you have?
If you were me, how would you spread $2,500 on a system?

I don't care if you are an expert on this. I am just looking for outside opinions. I am very far from what I would consider knowledgeble on this, and would really appreciate all the input you can offer...

Thanks guys

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
A few questions to get you started:

1. What are the dimensions of the room?
2. Do you have a preference towards bookshelf or loudspeakers?
3. What sources will you be connecting to the receiver (e.g. Upconverting DVD Player, HD Player, CDP Player, SACD Player, DVR, Game Console, etc)
4. Do you require HDMI switching on the receiver?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brent

Just get a Denon 2807 and a pair of HTD Level 3 Towers

Happy New Year

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Brent

If you want to hear about some interesting set-ups that I have used for 2 channel...send me a private message...I have a Nakamichi receiver and speakers from Mission...KEF...JBL...Pioneer...and other receivers...I can make a variety of suggestions about receivers and speakers for your 2.1 system.

bbristol

Agent
Real Name
Brent

The room is approximatley 10-12 ' by 18-20 '
I would prefer floorstanders, I dont have bookshelves or anything to putbookshelves on anyway.
I really havent decided if I will hook it up to tv and all that. My tv a tube worth about a hundred bucks, no cable, I do have a x-box 360 that I will probably use for my dvd, cd, etc.
For the time being no I would not require HDMI, would it be foolish to get one without?

Thanks

BBB

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brent

Not trying to promote myself, however, I have about 45 years in HT/AV...and the HTD Level 3 Towers would be exactly what I would buy if I needed any more speakers...a while back, I was considering Apogee Acoustics Studio Grand full range ribbon speakers for $13,000 but I had just built a new house and didn't quite see myself spending that much on speakers...as far as a receiver...everything is going HDMI...and at the moment I like the prize winning Denon 2807...

Happy New Year

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
With a $2,500 budget I would be looking at the used market. But if I were buying new, here is a nice little system that IMO will sound much better than any package deal.

Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signature main speakers, ~$1,700
Pioneer VSX-1016 7.1 receiver, ~$400
Outlaw PCA interconnects, ~$150

The remainder should cover your shipping and/or taxes, with possibly a little left over to buy some music or movies.

WRT a sub and your budget, a pair of really good floorstanders (and the 2Ce Sigs are really good) is a much better option than cheap main speakers and a cheap sub. The 2Ce Sigs have excellent and clean output down to 40 Hz and are still pretty decent at 35 hertz, which is better than any cheap sub and as good as many decent subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks