What's new

What would it take to get kicked off this forum? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I was just wondering, what content or tone of posts will get you kicked off. Would you get a warning first - I suppose it would depend on the circumstances, and in what case would no warning be given. And if so, how could the administrators stop you from sneaking back some how? Just a question that crossed my mind - i'm not planning on planting any threatening/religious/psychopathic/political posts - I swear!
biggrin.gif

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Example: "I'm ignorant and don't know anything about home theater...yet, I do know this: fullscreen or NO buy!"
------------------

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Whether someone gets a warning or not will depend on 1 how serious the incident is 2 their attitude towards the initial action taken against them, and 3 the administrator concerned.

The forum rules pretty much cover most of the 'problem' areas, but here's quick rundown of no-nos.
[*]Fake names that are obviously fake.[*]Abusive messages, personal attacks, flames, etc etc.[*]Political or religious messages[*]Racist or sexist comments [*]Unauthorized advertising (including Ebay auctions, Ebates links etc)[*]Ignorance of rules and guidelines[*]Joining up and then trying to change how the site is run[*]Being an annoying asshole

The last one there is obviously a general 'attitude' issue rather than one pertaining to specific incidents. And yes, we've removed quite a few annoying assholes.

------------------
"We shall never surrender"

Winston Churchill.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hmm. How do you admins work around each other, though? If you feel someone's being an arsehole can you remove them or do you need someone else's say so.
I've no examples but I've certainly seen threads where admins have differing views (not fullscale arguments) and wondered how you get round the whole thing of one of them locking that thread down.
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
That's really what the Mods Area is for Theo, so we can discuss issues like that. Very often, if someone is being a plain asshole their account will be suspended immediately and the issue will the be raised in the Mods Area if necessary. People will remember past incidents and of course provide differing points of view. Any of us can remove accounts without needing to get it agreed by anybody else, but in reality it very rarely happens like that.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I think if you make fun of the modas....you're gone.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Eric Scott

Second Unit
quote: And yes, we've removed quite a few annoying assholes.[/quote]
Gee Rob! I was sure most folks thought I was an annoying asshole. But since my account hasn’t been deleted I feel exculpated! (I’m starting to get warm fuzzy feelings...towards you Mods!)
crazy.gif

[Edited last by Eric Scott on November 03, 2001 at 08:14 PM]

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I was suspended once for being an annoying asshole, but kissed a little admin booty (no, not literally) and was up and running again within 24 hrs.
laugh.gif

patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's
[Edited last by Michael*K on November 03, 2001 at 10:56 AM]

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Robbie, I'm under the impression that you and Bubba (Sorry couldn't resist) Epstein are mad at me.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I remember once when a seriously off-his-nut member had the temerity to start a thread with an anti-Semitic theme. He was swiftly shown the door, as it were.
The conduct here at Home Theater Forum is impeccable. And for that we can thank the admins--not to mention our membership.
But, I tell you, there's a good case to be made for pan-and-scan transfers. ...
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
No offense, but if you have to ask this question maybe you need to read the forum rules again.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Reginald Trent on November 03, 2001 at 02:03 PM]

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
quote: I think Vince is my favorite.[/quote]
I'm not suprised.
But seriously there are members, even currently who are rude, obnoxious and hostile. One of three things usually happens:
1) They catch on to how the forum works and that their attitude will do little but get them ignored. I can think of a few members who were a little pushy when they first showed up, but have cooled out a bunch and have become great members.
2) They get bored of it and go away. This happens pretty often, someone pops up on the radar as a problem and vanishes- I guess they realize that the HTF is incompatible with their posting style and attitude and get bored.
3) Moderators have to ban them. This doesn't really happen all that often- and I think the staff gives offending members TONS of slack in this case. Warnings are usually issued- and suspensions are reversed 90% of the time. Although, it seems to me that of those 90% that are let back in, 50% of those are tossed again within a month.
So there are a handful of problems on the site always- and the mod staff keeps an eye out for attitude issues. It's really a matter of time for some people, they take one of the 3 roads listed above.
Lately the real problem has been younger people, guessing under 16 who have popped up and treated the site in a very immature way- being openly hostile and just obviously childish. This isn't to say all young members are this way (I am well aware that we have a great teen age population here, although some of them should spend less time in AH- heck Dan B. isn't even out of his Teens and he's a moderator, and the best one IMHO)-- but I've noticed some misguided youth more and more lately.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority !!
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on November 03, 2001 at 02:24 PM]

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Rob is my favorite mod that I have met.
Vince is my favorite that I have not met.
How's that for diplomacy. :)

Jin E

Second Unit
I don't have a favorite Mod... I hate them all equally
wink.gif

But... you have to respect who self proclaims themself a "Knob Jockey".
(um... I was just kidding about the hate part!)
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks