What's new

What would it take for YOU to get D-Theater? (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
For me the question comes down to economics. If D-VHS was a viable format nine months ago then I would have budgeted it into the home theater. But now I have to wait until yearend and my tax situation to see whether I can do D-Theater next year.

Maybe next year. Until then I'm very happy with what DVD via TheaterTek can provide.

-greg

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Definately there needs to be HD recordability through non-firewire considering that virtually nothing has HD firewire out.
The deck also needs to hit $299. I really can't afford it right now otherwise as I still need to buy the TV :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Really, I'd much rather have an even higher quality HD disc format.

However, it would be intriguing if:

JVC got their act together with Joe Kane and the studios and released everything in true 1080p from 100% 1080p digital pro-grade masters and the player could be set by the consumer to downrez the image via a quality scaler if their TV could not support 1080p signals.

Full bitrate DTS 96/24 or full bitrate DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 on all releases.

Other than that, I would have to say to the original topic's question, "I would not buy this interim product."

However, even HD-DVD or Blue-Ray had better best this tape format in audio and picture quality , or I will consider it a failure.

Dan

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
If the decks were around $200-$400 and there was a library of 1000+ I would consider it but with the recent news that HD-DVD could be a reality by late next year I don't think anything could convince me to purchase one now. If I had OA HD coming into my home then I would be more inclined to get D-VHS for the recording aspects but my interests lie more with prerecorded movies so I'll patiently wait to see comes to us next year.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
$300-400 price for deck and ability to record HD from my current component out only stb. I refuse to be locked into Dishnetwork just to have the ability to timeshift.

Having seen several movies in HD on HBO and Showtime and not having seen a huge improvement over 480p dvd versions of the same films, it would have to timeshift HD from my sat and local ota channels to be worthwhile for me.

At the current $1k+ and no ability to record from my current stb, it's a definite no.

I'd even buy in at a $300 price point with no recording capability if I was convinced pq was significantly better than HD movies on HBO or Showtime.

I have 20 year old vhs tapes that still play fine, so I'm not scared of tape degradation.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Lower prices, built in HD tuner and more titles.

I have an HD card for my PC already, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned the neccessity of being able to record HDTV shows just as you can in any VCR. That's what people want from a recordable format.

If they can't do that then the format will fail.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
To tell the Truth Some of the Recent releases I have seen, like ET and Spiderman are so Good I would'nt jump until HD DVD arrives

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If I had an HDTV assuming it was recordable DVHS would be worth considering if the hardware could be had for

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I think there are enough titles to generate interest. However, there are two things that need to happen for me to re-buy a deck (I had one and loved it): first, there has to be more than one model from more than one manufacturer, short of that I think it will never, ever take off; second, the price of the deck has to be low enough ($300-700). Basically, I consider any money that I pour into D-Theater to be lost, but given that I already know the quality of the tapes, I wouldn't mind so much if the player was cheap enough. D-Theater is a nice format to enjoy until HD-DVD comes along and I'm very envious of people that can already enjoy it without concern.

And for all the die-hard naysayers, I thought it was clear from the opening sentence that this thread was aimed at people that were on the fence like myself. Just dropping a line saying that nothing in the universe could convince you has absolutely no intrinsic value and is little more than noise.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
If Mitsubishi added D-Theater to their D-VHS deck, and built in an HDTV tuner, and priced it around $500, I'd buy it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Now that'sa topic worth exploring!

I am now proactively moderating this thread.

Would a wider selection of D-Theater titles, coupled with the eventual arrival of an HD-capable optical-disc format (which we don't even know will be a DVD Forum-approved medium—and, thus, not a "DVD"), influence your present purchasing habits?

Consider that along with your comments about buying into D-Theater.

Thank you, Carl!

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
It would have to be under $400.00 and Indiana Jones trilogy would have to be out. These are my terms, which are non-negotiable :D
John

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm with the "nothing could convince me to buy" crowd. While the video and audio quality of D-VHS/D-Theater are nice, delivering it on a sequential access tape-based video format is a big step in the wrong direction in my opinion. Just bring on blue laser HD-DVD and I'm there.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
If D-Theater had a super high speed transport with rock solid time code on the tape that I could punch in a target spot/chapter and be watching it within 5-10 seconds...
That's a great idea. Really would help offset the general concern for a linear format. So my list (from a hardware perspective) would include this type of transport functionality, non-FireWire recordability, and more choice in the market. Price will take care of itself with competition.
From a software perspective there's no one title that would get me to buy, but rather a greater number that shows a definite commitment to the format. And from all studios. But this is just like the early days of DVD when we asked for the same thing of software. Look what happened there. ;)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
but with the recent news that HD-DVD could be a reality by late next year
Where is that info coming from?
I've seen U 571 on one of these things, and it sold me :) If only I had a HDTV, (and having a HD tuner built in would be very lovely) then I'd get one.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Given for me I'd have no choice but to go the whole way and get into front projection to view HD material in the UK (none of our TVs will ever take HD signals), it would take some really special stuff to have me make the purchase, but not a lot.

It would take more classics than anything, typicaly as mentioned, Lean and Kubrick materials most notably, and I'd love The Wizard of Oz, Vertigo and North By Northwest in HD. In saying that, it would only take the relase of one or two of these films to sway me. Heck, if New Line signed to do D-Theatre tomorrow and put out the extended Fellowship of the Ring, I'd buy into it (and I aint kidding). Offer me films dear to my heart and I'll bite.

Dan

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
One: A decent selection of titles approximating the state of DVD circa late 1998 or early 1999.

Two: hardware priced at less than $400 for a decent D-Theater/D-VHS deck that can replace my S-VHS deck.

Three: some more thought given to the ability to go from chapter to chapter which, if I understood correctly, is already possible with the format. IOW, make this process easy.

To answer Mr. Briggs' questions, I could definitely see using the format to show off -- big epics and the like. I currently have HBOHD and the difference isn't subtle. It's noticeable to even a casual viewer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
1) DTS support
2) Built-in HDTV tuners
3) Support from all studios
4) All the above for less than $500

After going through several DVD player upgrades to get additional features (first DTS, then progressive scan, then scaling), I will not buy into another format until I am sure the hardware features have matured somewhat. Also, a format without a decent selection of films is of no interest to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks