What's new

What would it take for YOU to get D-Theater? (1 Viewer)

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Okay, for some it would be A) the end of the world, or B) the end of the DVD format as we know it. For everyone else...What would it take for you to go D-Theater? Is there one particular title that, if released in D-VHS, would get you to buy in? Or is it more of an issue of cheaper decks?
Lets consider the studios supporting D-Theater. Fox, Universal, Artisan, and Dreamworks. Think about some of the titles in their cattalogs that would get you to buy in.
For me, it would be the Alien movies. HD masters already exist, right? Fox seems to be strongly supporting D-Theater, so I can only hope and pray that they annouce them for D-Theater.
Star Wars would be nice, but there are the Lucas politics to deal with. Same with Saving Private Ryan and Speilberg.
Deck pricing is also a factor. If they were $500-$600, I'd be much more inclined to buy in.
What about you?

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
No title will convince me. Tapes degrade; I don't care if it's HD, if it's on a tape, I won't buy it.

Always stubborn, this one is.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Admin:

Wish someone would step in here and create a new rule regarding D-Theater threads. Clearly I pointed out this thread wasn't for naysayers of the format. It's upsetting to see trolls post in perfectly legitimate D-Theater discussion threads, which is happening all too frequently here.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sounded like a perfectly legitimate response, if you ask me. You asked what it would take, and for Ryan, nothing would convince him.

-Dave

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Once the new Dish Network receiver comes out that allows me to archive HBO/Showtime/DiscoveryHD along with over-the-air programming, I'll be all over it.

As far as D-Theater wishlists:
Fox: Anastasia, Aliens, True Lies, any Star Wars, Sound of Music, Titan AE, Die Hard, Abyss
Dreamworks: Gladiator, A.I., Antz, Shrek, Prince of Egypt, Saving Private Ryan, Almost Famous Dir Cut, Minority Report
Universal: 12 Monkeys, Apollo 13, Babe, Fast and the Furious, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Mummy, Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, Spartacus, Tremors

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I would take a closer look if both of the following positive variables cam true:

(1) Hardware cost was similiar to DVD hardware cost for similiar quality build. (decent player for $200.00).

(2) Large title selection. (1,000+)

AND

Both of the following negative variables came true to some extent:

(1) Because of D-Theater, less emphasis was placed on DVD to the point where DVD becomes the VHS of the 2000's.

(2) HD-DVD was delayed to somewhere beyond 2010.

So basically for me it is not yet a viable option. Although, per your question, I would take a very serious look if what I have outlined fell into place.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I agree if there were more titles,and especialy day and date released with DVD/VHS then maybe,but tape formats aren't my cup of tea!
.....and no it's not a troll!!!!!!!!!

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
for me it would take 2 things. 1 DVD dies, and 2 no HD optical solution. I really hate the Tape format. The degrading over time is the reason for me. I don't mind waiting for the rewinding.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I don't see why you are calling people Trolls for answering your question.

You asked "What would it take to convince you to buy D-Theater"?

You got a response that nothing would convince him.

For me, D-Theater would have to be on DVD, not tape.

That doesn't mean I think those who buy this VHS format are stupid. If you like it, please enjoy it. It just isn't something I would buy.

I have honestly answered your question without capping.

There, call me a troll now.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that anyone who posts with an opinion similar to Ryan Wright's and Steve Phillips' would be labeled a troll. Never mind that it was the ORIGINAL POST that set the mood with an inflammatory generalization:

Okay, for some it would be A) the end of the world, or B) the end of the DVD format as we know it.

Sarah S

Second Unit
To get me into D-theater? I think I would have to have enough disposable cash I could afford to spend on another format until HD-DVD gets up & running. I don't get paid enough (and neither does my husband) to spend money on multiple formats.

Since that isn't going to happen anytime soon, I think I'll wait.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
As stated, nothing would really convince me, I said my final farewell to pre-recorded films on tape when I got into dvd.
Having said that, I would gladly buy a D-VHS player to record my favorite tv shows etc in hi-def. Of course I would have to get a hi-def monitor first...:)

wally

Second Unit
I like watching the supplements and skipping around to favorite scenes. If D-Theater had a super high speed transport with rock solid time code on the tape that I could punch in a target spot/chapter and be watching it within 5-10 seconds I might consider it, but for now, and the foreseeable future I'm more than happy with DVD.

I'm easy though.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Okay, a word from your local station:

If a question has been asked about what it would take to persuade an HTF member to buy into D-VHS D-Theater and one of them answered, basically, "nothing can," then that's a valid response. A member simply stated that he would prefer to stick with an optical-disc format, and is therefore waiting for whatever HD-level format (or formats—see latest issue of Widescreen Review) comes along.

The original post did not specifically mention that this is a D-Theater appreciation thread, thus there isn't any trolling going on.

Play nice, and let's see if this thread can be productive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks