What's new

What would cause this? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have a DVD (BMX Bandits - don't laugh; I loved it as a kid and still like the hokeyness of it today) which plays at the correct speed and audio is normal but the video looks like every other frame is missing. Still images are ok, but anything with motion causes an effect close to a flicker (not an actual flicker but the image will advance then do it again a fraction of a second later) which gave me a splitting headache this morning.

I can tell the disc was cheaply engineered, especially during the closing credits where there is a place where a visible distortion crawls up the screen like VHS tapes used to do if they had a bad wrinkle in them. This makes me think the disc was ripped directly from VHS. It is an R1 release which is supposed to be widescreen, but I'll be damned if I can figure out anything about the AR except that the image is not anamorphically enhanced.

Has anyone ever ran across a video anamoly like the one I described and If so, what would cause it?

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have an answer for what caused that problem but I have seen the same sort of thing with the movie "Cujo" and "Firefox" I found the picture to be too distracting so I had to just get rid of the dvds.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I haven't see either of those, but I watched this disc all the way through yesterday morning about 7:00 and my head literally hurt up until I went to bed this morning at 3:30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks