What's new

What words that people mis-pronounce that drive you nuts? (1 Viewer)

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
East-coast Canadian here, its never been aboot, always a-bout. But then again most Candians to the West of Ontario consider Ontario Eastern Canada. So maybe it is the Ontarians who say aboot. I have heard it for sure and it grates on my nerves.

But the one that annoys me is Aks (or maybe Axe) as is "Let me aks you a question" popularized by Trash TV participants. Are all these people from the same place?

I think sometimes that they consider it an honour to say stupid sounding things. And by stupid I am not referring to the content of their speech, but the word usage.

JamesED

Second Unit
Calvary : the hill jesus christ died on

Cavalry : very mobile army unit

I also find words like button and kitten pronounced annoyingly bad. Like buh-en and ki-en.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Oh come on! You Canadians are in more denial than if I said I have never "pahked the cah in the hahvahd yahd". I've heard hockey players from New Brunswick (Donny Sweeney) to Montreal (Ray Bourque) to Nova Scotia (Glenn Murray) to outside Toronto (Joe Thornton) to Vancouver (Cam Neely) to all the way in Klimax, Saskatchewan (Gord Kluzak) and every one off them says "aboot" or "aboat". :D
And BTW, offense is pronounced "AW-fence", not "OH-fence" and it is spelled with an 's'. After all, you do not (and cannot) pronounce Ottawa as "OH-ta-wa"!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The same people use "excape" instead of "escape."
My father and his family fall into the same sort of group as Dave Poehlman's. I often assume (wish?) I must be adopted. :angry:
Philadelphia = PhiladelTHia
I have no idea why they came up with this since they have no problem pronouncing the first "PH" as "F".
Mouth = Mouf (exact reverse of the above :rolleyes:)
Mole = Mold (he has a mold on his upper arm)
And adding an extra "S" for no reason. I stopped at Wal-Marts today. They didn't have what I wanted, so I'll go to Kmarts tomorrow.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
A cafe latte with two shots of expresso. :angry: :thumbsdown:
While researching the subject of silica, I sometimes see the word "adsorption" which I always assumed was a misspelling of "absorption". Lo and behold, our friendly neighborhood dictionary confirms that "adsorption" is a real word.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Peeves:
Sherbet
Nuclear
Library
I once was mildly ridiculed for pronouncing grocery as "gro-suh-ree" rather than "gross-ree." I knew I was right so I didn't care enough to argue. It was perceived as a snobby way to pronounce it.
Past Personal Issues
Pumpkin as "punk-in"

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Three more:
The film festival at Cannes is pronounced Cannes as in "canned ham", not Cannes as in "Wrath of Cannes".
Luther Vandross rhymes with "gross", not "floss".
The worst of them all: STAR TRACK.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The film festival at Cannes is pronounced Cannes as in "canned ham", not Cannes as in "Wrath of Cannes".
Umm, no...proper French pronunciation is the latter with a silent "s." If you say "cans" you are saying the number 15, which is "quinze."

EDIT: Oops! I figured out you were pointing out the mispronunciations. Sorry.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Oh come on! You Canadians are in more denial than if I said I have never "pahked the cah in the hahvahd yahd".
Don't make me come down there Jeff. ;)
(Honestly, I've never met a fellow Canadian who says "aboot" or "aboat". It's about as untrue as all of us ending our sentences with "eh", eh?) :D
Now, we DO all eat back-bacon with our beer though. :D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Cameron,
Are you sure? I thought it was properly pronounced "can", not "Caan" (as in James).
EDIT: Our friendly neighborhood dictionary says BOTH ("can" and "kahn") are acceptable. As well as "cans". Who knew?
Rev. Dr. Zen Dogg,
Reminds me of another one: "fiddy" instead of "fifty". As in "I only owe him tree fiddy."
smiley_puke.gif

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
One that REALLY used to bother me was the word "segue" pronounced "seg-way" (like the scooter?).

An ex-roommate of mine, who has experience in record production (and has actually created segues between songs), says that any producer or engineer will pronounce it with one syllable only, "seg".

But lo and behold, dictionary.com supports the two syllable "seg-way" pronunciation. Any thoughts on this? Is the one syllable variation a bit of recording studio jargon?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've not heard "segue" pronounced anything but "seg." How else is it pronounced?
EDIT: Oh, I see...interesting.
And in my seven or so years of French I've not heard "Cannes" pronounced any other way. I wouldn't necessarily trust an English dictionary to provide accurate pronunciation of another language. It might be fine to say "cans" in the states, but in French-speaking areas you'll be saying "I went to the "15" film festival." :)
This is kind of handy:
http://education.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/p.../c0069600.html

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
If segue is pronounced "seg-way", shouldn't fugue be pronounced "fug-way"?

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
y'all :D
Brought this up on another thread but why does it have to be galaametr instead of the logical kilo-meter?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I've heard that one both ways. Kill-aw-metr and killo-meter.

The 'segue' thing is interesting. I've always heard the 'seg-way' version...not just 'seg'.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Just listened to Cameron's Yahoo link to the pronounciation of "Cannes". Pretty similar to this. :D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Sami,
Right! No one ever says cen-TIM-i-ter or mil-IM-i-ter.
Marvin,
Surely you're familiar with "Tocata and fudge in D minor". :D
Cameron,
Foreign language words are often pronounced differently in English than in their native language, such as the beloved Japanese passtime of "carrie-okie".

JamesED

Second Unit
Came back to add Expresso, but I see someone beat me to the punch.

How about Hampster? It's a freaking Hamster.

Users who are viewing this thread