What's new

What words that people mis-pronounce that drive you nuts? (1 Viewer)

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
'Idear' and 'warsh'? I've actually never heard those pronounced like that before, fortunately. You guys talking to Coach Zee from Homestarrunner or something? I'll have add my vote to "nucular," and it's surprising how many people have heard that, considering it's not really an everyday word. Tycho on Penny-Arcade linked to several stats culled from across the nation of the different pronunciations for various words, and it was pretty interesting, but since I guess we're talking about mispronounciations, that's a different thing altogether.

Edit:

"Great Jorb!!!!!"

Someone had to do it.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Alzheimers..............All-timers.........:angry:
There is no "T" in this word people. This one drives me nuts. I also have a friend that adds a "T" onto words like 'chef' and 'chess'. Weird.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Heighth (HEITH). As in "measure the length, width and 'HEIGHTH' of that wall". People, just because the first two words in a series end in 'TH' does not mean the last one does also. Most of the above (idear, aiggs, warsh) can be chocked up to regional accents (I've been know to have an 'idear' or two in my time and dated a southern belle who liked bacon and 'aiggs' for breakfast) but this is the equivalent of saying "past, present and puture" or "mother, father and childer". I got into an argument about this with a guy who insisted it was "heighth" until I asked him to list his "heighth and weighth". He shut up after that.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Having lived there in my childhood, I hate when people pronounce Lompoc, CA as "Lom-pawk" rather then "Lom-poke". They even do it on tv shows (there is a federal prison and air force base there) that are filmed near there, so someone should know how it is pronounced.

And the ever popular "aks", as in "I don't know, let me aks my mother that question."

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Alas, it is not possible for a Brit to answer this question without offending the entire American nation.
Please, what's with you and your fear of the letters t and d?
It's pronounced LITTLE...not Li' ole
You can't just leave out letters because you're British.
Let's take a trip through Webster's together. Don't you know, only the western U.S. speaks properly? :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Alas, it is not possible for a Brit to answer this question without offending the entire American nation.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Actually, one of the ones that bugs me is when people pronounce 'roof' as 'ruff'. To me, it's always been rOOf.
Not really a mispronounciation, but one of the things that drives me nuts is when people say "I seen" rather than "I've seen" or "I saw". My sister-in-law does that one a lot...drives me crazy.
Side note: As a Canadian, I'd just like to say that I have never, EVER said 'aboot'. It's always been 'about' ... never 'aboot'. I *think* that's only a east-coast thing. :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Side note: As a Canadian, I'd just like to say that I have never, EVER said 'aboot'. It's always been 'about' ... never 'aboot'. I *think* that's only a east-coast thing.
East coast Canada? You Canadians, always in denial about the "aboat" thing. Dude, it's there. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Most Canadians I know will pronounce "process":

pro-cess

while most Americans will pronounce it:

prah-cess

For me it's a dead giveaway in determining a Canadian visitor to the US.

Steve*Moore

Auditioning
Salmon, by puting the "L" in there instead of it being silent.
I was in a lunch line and overheard this conversation one afternoon.
Woman: Oh boy, they have sal-mon today.
Man: Don't you mean sa-mon?
Woman: Well, where I come from that is the way we pronounce it.
Man: So...everybody in your hometown is stupid? :D
She stomped off, I guess she didn't have sal-mon for lunch that day.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
My major pronounciation pet peeve is someone who isn't British pronouncing the t in "often." It's just so out of place and almost sounds awkwardly snootish.

The t is for them, we say "offin."

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Both my wife and mother in law pronounce clothes as clodes. I'll then ask her for a wash clod.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
For some reason I hate it when people pronounce schedule as "shed-duo" instead of "sked-duo". I don't mind when someone says "sked-jewel" either, as there is just a hint of j in it.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Actually, aunt is pronounced with the short sound. It is phonetically spelled that way in Webster's dictionary.
aunt ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ant, änt)
n.
The sister of one's father or mother.
The wife of one's uncle.
Used as a form of address for an older woman, especially by children.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/a/a0522500.html
Now my pet peeve is when someone says it is a mute point. Is it a point we can't hear? No it is a moot point!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My in-laws are notorious for mispronouncing things.. or just using the wrong word entirely.
For example: my father-in-law went to the doctor because he was having problems with his prostrate.
It's not a limousine, it's a lemousine.
They didn't stay at the Ramada hotel, they stayed at the Ramana.
You don't drink a glass of milk, you drink a glass of miwk.
Now, I say these things just to annoy my wife... :D Since she's a school teacher, it annoys the hell out of her.
I also hate when people say ideal in place of idea (unless it's me saying it to annoy my wife :) ).
When I lived in Texas for a couple of years, my manager had a necklace that said "spoiled rotten" on it. So I said, "are you spolt?" jokingly. But she understood what I was saying and replied "oh yes, I'm spolt rotten"

Users who are viewing this thread