What's new

What will be the biggest flop of 2004? (1 Viewer)

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator

I thought it was only me, cringed when I hear said those lines. Doesn't have the impact that Crowe or Gibson in Braveheart. Pitt is not shabby actor, just doesn't look right for the part. David Scwhimmer or Joey from Friends could fill Achilles shoes as good as Brad or better in case of Joey. Remember that Friends episode when he worked as a Trojan man at Vegas...not bad.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Any particular reason?
Personally, I'm excited by it. The trailer looked interesting, it looked like a fun Speilberg still in his Catch Me If You Can mode. It's a great idea for a film - I understand that actually happened to a real person, although I don't know whether the film is actually based on his life, or whether the film was just inspired by his circumstances.

Van Helsing. After seeing the trailer where a horse and carriage jump a washed-out bridge like Speed, I have a feeling I'd be laughing at all the wrong parts if I ever went to see it (which isn't likely).

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

I wholeheartedly agree with you... neither Tim Burton or Joel Schumacher did the character any justice. But to draw an analogy between the two...

Tim Burton's Batman = Fender Bender on a Sidestreet in the Suburbs

Joel Schumacher's Batman = 50 Car Pileup involving Tanker Trailers hauling gasoline & nitro-glicerine & toxic waste, on a major L.A. Freeway in the middle of rush hour, during a heatwave, timed perfectly with a massive earthquake.

Moe.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Inspired by his circumstances. For one thing, I can't remember exactly where he was from, maybe he was middle-eastern, but he definitely wasn't from eastern Europe.

NolanJ

Second Unit
Garfield... the previews for this movie disgusted me. It isn't even Garfield, it's just some cat with a different personality altogether.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Isn't this Garfield movie about 20 years late? Might've been a hit back when everybody seemed to have one stuck in their back window, but now?

mark alan

Supporting Actor

You couldn't do the crappy computer animation 20 years ago, and the live talking cat wanted too much money

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think Troy will do very well, but Catwoman has disaster all over it.

Alamo is going to be a tough one to beat for bomb though. Anytime you get shifted out of Oscar season and into FEB area you are in trouble.

Garfield and Mask 2 are both wrecks in the making.

Van Helsing and I,Robot look like bad films, but they also look like moneymakers with big front ends.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
After seeing the 10 minute preview of The Day After Tomorrow tonight, it deserves to be the biggest flop of '04 and will be neck-and-neck with Van Helsing for most-bashed film of the year.

It looks like 10.5 for the big screen...I wish Roland Emmerich had been the one that slipped into that chasm...

Will K

Screenwriter
My money is on Jerry Bruckheimer's King Arthur flick. The tepid trailer has bomb written all over it, as if the title should have been Stay Home and Watch Excalibur.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Ditto. That movie looks completely lame. And I am hoping that excrement of a movie Catwoman flops too but with Halle Berry being in a tight black latex costume, pervs will go see it just for that alone. And of course this is all speculation, heck both of those movies might actually be good,who knows.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
While it is always popular to say that movies like "Van Helsing" and "Day After Tomorrow" should be bombs, they never will be simply because they are standard summer movie fare, and are usually so well marketed that they can't bomb unless they are so spectacularly bad that they drive people away.

That's why you have to look at the second tier movies that don't get the wall-to-wall push that the big boys get. It is why I think "Catwoman" and "Garfield" are the best canidates to be bombs. Even the trailers don't look enticing enough to take a flyer on them.

"I Robot" probably will make money. It probably won't be a huge success, but the combination of Will Smith and lots of action probably will bring people into the theaters.

Jason

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

I have no plans to see it, as I have little doubt that it's going to blow, but you certainly don't have to be a perv to want to see Halle Berry in tight black latex! :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Catwoman costume is just awful. It's skimpy, yes, but it really doesn't do anything for me, so I probably won't see it even for that. Heck, I haven't even seen Swordfish yet and there's no costume whatsoever!

Edit: I too think Catwoman will be the biggest bomb in terms of money spent to revenue.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Its hard to categorize some of these movies as flops.

Van Helsing may not be a very good movie but its already opened at $50 million and will likely make at least a $100 million. It may end up being a disappointment but compared to movies like The Alamo, with a single digit opening and a $100 million budget, its hard to categorize it as a bomb.

The same holds true of I Robot, The Day After Tomorrow, or some of the others mentioned- they're almost guaranteed decent openings so they'll likely be disappointments at most.

The only movies with true bomb potential this summer IMO are Catwoman and Garfield. I could see either one of these opening in the low teens.

*EDIT* I see that Jason Birzer had similar sentiments.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"The only movies with true bomb potential this summer IMO are Catwoman and Garfield."

'Scooby-Doo' and 'Cat in the Hat' were critic-proof in their opening weeks, 'Garfield' will be, as well.

If I had invested money in Sky Captain, The Chronicles of Riddick, and Catwoman, I'd be a little nervous right now.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

My question about Garfield is the whether it currently has the same nostalgia kick as Scooby Doo and Cat in the Hat. It has visibility so it wouldn't surprise me at all if its a hit but I have heard absolutely no buzz about it.

I completely agree on Sky Captain- I didn't mention it because recent discussion seemed to be focused on the summer so I wasn't thinking past August. I think it will likely be a good movie but Paramount seems at a loss on how to market it.

Riddick is a bit of a question- Vin Diesel's star has faded a bit so I wouldn't expect a XXX size opening but an opening in the 20s wouldn't surprise me. I see that as being more of a disappointment than an outright flop. If I had to guess, I would put Riddick at a final gross of $60-$70 million without knowing the final quality of the film.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, I can understand the concerns about "Sky Captain". Right now, there isn't a whole lot known about it, beyond the trailer and the articles. It is unknown if it will be Final Fantasy, or if it will rise above the technical and give us an entertaining movie. Personally, I'm rooting for it.

As for "Riddick", from what I've seen looks pretty good, and there are a lot of people I've talked to who want to see it. I think it will be moderatly successful.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks