What's new

What were you doing on Moon Day? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
20 July 1969.

What were you doing that day?

I was a 16 year old in summer school taking high school biology. Somehow the lectures went off-topic that week.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
On the air at radio station in Northern Indiana.
At one point I mistakenly referred to Cape Canaveral, which made the station owner quite happy because he disliked Kennedy.
It was a great time of life and there were many lovely small town girls who thought a DJ was very cool stuff.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I was 11 years old. We had just been transferred to Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, LA (I was an Air Force brat), and had been in our new house for just a few weeks. We watched the landing on the little B&W set on the porch, and moved in to the living room to watch the actual moon walk on the "big" TV (a whopping 19"). I was a huge SF & space geek, and I had been waiting pretty much all of my life for that day. It was truly glorious watching Neil & Buzz actually walking on the moon.

It was the year after 2001: A Space Odyssey, and on that day it was easy to believe that Kubrick & Clarke's vision of massive space stations, a permanent base on the moon, and somewhat routine space travel for civilians was quite attainable. After all, looking how far we had come in less than a decade, it seemed that there were almost no limits on what we could achieve in the next 32 years. It's really sad how little we as a country and a species have built upon that amazing moment of 40 years ago.
Edited by Craig S - 7/21/2009 at 01:00 pm GMT

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Originally Posted by Henry Gale ">[/url]

At one point I mistakenly referred to Cape Canaveral, which made the station owner quite happy[/QUOTE]
And now they changed the name back so it's Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral. I wonder what the owner would think about that?

bemombu

Auditioning
Real Name
Shem Omaña
i would be doing the same thing...go to work and get the jobe done...:)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Our family was at the house of family friends, huddled around the tv as Neil Armstrong stepped foot on the moon. I'll never forget the sense of incredible accomplishment and history. There's never been anything like it since then.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I was negative 11 months old.

Today however I saw MOON with Sam Rockwell in celebration of this achievement, for the men who did it, for NASA. for the US and our species.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I was 9 years old and I was in a car listening to my Mom & Dad argue about if we should pull over and watch history in the making. We were moving from NJ to SC and my Dad kept driving.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I wasnt born till 1973.

I got to stand a few feet away from Neil Armstrong at a special press event at Disneyland in 2005. Me and my group got pulled into it as "space filler" for a re dedication of Space Mountain. He said a short speech. We were honored to be there. I didnt get to meet him though but it was still way cool!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My mom, dad, sister & I (I was 10) were huddled around a small black & white TV at our camp in the Adirondacks trying to get the rabbit ears to successfully bring us signals from WCAX-TV in Burlington, VT so we could watch CBS' coverage of the landing.

This is the same place where I just spent part of Saturday night sitting in my car on a laptop outside the local library using their Wi-Fi signal to post this week's Weekly RoundUp for the HTF! Times have changed (although there's still no TV allowed at camp!).

It truly was one of those once-in-a-lifetime events that really made you ponder our place in history and what the future would bring.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

It truly was one of those once-in-a-lifetime events that really made you ponder our place in history and what the future would bring.
There was a generation who saw the first airplane flight as a kid and then saw the whole flying technology grow until man walked on the moon. I thought to my self that: Here I am as a kid watching man walking on the moon, so by the time I am in my 40s I should be able to take vacations up there. This has been one of my life's biggest disappointments.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My grandmother was born in 1900 and died in 1980. She remembered the newspaper stories of the Wright Bros. first flights and lived to see the Moon landings.

Sadly about half the population of the US is too young to remember any of the Apollo Moon missions. To them it's something out of a dreary gray history book.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I was born in 1974. I celebrated by watching the Futurama episode on the moon, which aired from 10:30 PM EST to 11:00 PM EST...no doubt planned by some canny Comedy Central scheduler.

I did talk to some friends who have memories of it, and I readily admit a strong sense of jealousy for those who witnessed the event live :)

I'm thankful for the memories I have, but I wouldn't mind that one either.

John Gido

Second Unit
It was my 10th birthday and we were all up late watching it on the old B&W TV.

40 years later (my 50th B'day) my kids and I were watching the rebroadcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks