What's new

What WB Shows on WB Archives? (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow

Whoa, that's quite a left field surprise there. Lots of great titles we'd see then if that happens, like The Magician with Bill Bixby I'd imagine, it's one I'd snap up in a second. And possibly the remaining seasons of Barnaby Jones, Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, The Untouchables and Have Gun Will Travel this way. Well, only to name but a few popular titles unless these are still in the pressed game which I hope of course now they've finally started with subtitles again at CBS and the superior picture quality.
I do wonder if pressed releases eventually become recent hit shows only, and the classics - apart from a select few standard titles - will be the burn way. I also wonder if that would even make sense, since many younger people have switched to Blu-ray so what's left for DVD but the classics, limited release numbers if need be. I'm not quite sure if I should be optimistic or pessimistic on behalf of the above mentioned shows, and which alley of release Paramount would have in mind, it only seems certain we'll have to follow suit whatever they do.

If, IF, this is true, that's a surprise. Arthur Hailey's Hotel and Early Edition and Matt Houston I'd add to thse shows you've mentioned. Another thing to think about, would be if the episodes would be transferred to HD, if CBS/P were to continue them as MOD titles.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Neil Brock said:
I'm hearing rumors that CBS is considering possibly getting into the BOD game with some of their stalled and unreleased shows. May be the only way that we get some of those under performing titles finished, if it comes about.
Fingers crossed for somehow getting more Love Boat on dvd... at any price!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
smithb said:
One of the easiests ways to compare pricing between MOD and commercial pressed disks is to just look at WB itself. WBA Cheyenne (only 20 episodes a season): - 2nd season first released by WB at $40 each volume or $80 a season. When found on sale later can be had for $40 a season - 3rd season, WB at $50 a season FBI (32 episodes a season) - 1st season, standard WB price $40 a volume or $80 a season, Amazon $37 to $50 a volume - 2nd season similar Tarzan - 1st season, standard WB price $40 a volume or $80 a season, Amazon $37 to $50 a volume WB Pressed Maverick (27 episodes) - 1st season list $40 a season, standard Amazon discount $29 a season So during initial release Cheyenne, FBI, and Tarzan are $50 to $80 a season, while with the typical Amazon discount Maverick is $30 a season. There is no need to even bring CBS/Paramount up in the discussion when WB makes it clear in their own pricing strategy of similar type content. The content on the WB MOD program is just more expensive for the consumer. I'm not suggesting it go away, but there is just no arguing that there isn't a cost difference, because there clearly is. I'm very happy they released season 1 of "Courtship of Eddie's Father" and as happy "Tarzan" will be coming out. But there just isn't much wiggle room for me in their pricing. It has to be a title I really, really want to own for me to go the WBA route. And as for quality, WBA states very clearly the content is not remastered or restored. Now they typically have better sources then what a 3rd party can scrape up, but they can't compare to the CBS/Paramount titles that have been remastered for HD like Perry Mason, Gunsmoke, etc. As far as titles like Rawhide and Have Gun Will Travel, those are based on the same approach as WBA (not remastered or restored). So far WBA has chosen titles with decent video quality. But say down the road they decide to releases some titles where the masters aren't quite as nice, then you will see similar quality as compared to CBS titles that aren't cleaned up. Stating that WBA won't leave us hanging with stalled titles is premature to say since I don't think they've completed any series yet except for maybe a one season show. Now the MOD approach is less risky, which is a positive indicator for the possible completion of a series, but prior sales are probably still in the equation as with any pressed release by any studio. The dual-layer disk issues early on is about the only justification i can see for such a slow start. So if the recent increase is due to that being figured out then that is a good sign for more future release. I look forward to seeing more titles come out and at a quicker pace. Having seen one Kildare episode and being a fan of Raymond Massey, that may be one title I might swing as a blind buy. Edit: After reading Gary's thread about Tarzan being remastered, I'm glad to see improvements in that direction and hope it continues with other future releases.
Not sure how many Warner Archive you have seen but so far I have: Cheyene, Courtship of Eddie's Father, Girl From Uncle and have seen in person from a friends copies The F.B.I and Daktari and all of them are on par with the best of Paramount. Cheyene is every bit as good as Gunsmoke in Quality . Nothing they have released so far looks as bad as Have Gun Will Travel and Rawhide. I stopped buying both of those shows once they went to split seasons as it was not worth the premium price they want as split seasons for a lesser quality release. Even though the shows are good. For a price comparison Cheyene Season 2 and 3 are 20 one hour episodes the same as 40 1/2 hour episodes of Gunsmoke or one season 39 episodes. Amazon Generally has each Gunsmoke Volume on an everday price from $22.00 to $26.00 so an average of $24.00 per volume or $48.00 a season. Cheyene has a list of $49.99 a season with an everyday discount of $5.00 and everyday coupon of another $5.00 for a total of $39.99 for an everyday price. So definately cheaper than Gunsmoke on an everyday price. Now if you wait of course you can find a big sale for a little more of a discount on the Gunsmoke title just as you can find 20 -25% off of Cheyene plus a coupon code. I may find an archive title on ebay for $10-$12.00 but that doesn't mean its fair to compare that as a standard price anymore than it is to use a 50% off sale that some website may have once or twice a year as standard pricing on Paramount titles. Bottom Line is both Paramount and Warner Archive are asking the same premium prices for their titles so you really have to want the title or wait for a big sale to justify it. Everyday discount prices on WA titles are nearly as cheap as everyday Paramount titles. Heavier and similar discounts are available on both WA and PAramount titles if you want to wait. So far all WA titles have been of excellent quality while Paramount is sometimes excellent and sometimes poor and Paramount sometimes has issues with music replacement.. So I just can't see the Logic other than pure bias in constantly ripping the high WA pricing when Paramount has an equal pricing scheme with not always the same quality level.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
By the way, to throw another possible curve into the mix, I'm hearing rumors that CBS is considering possibly getting into the BOD game with some of their stalled and unreleased shows. May be the only way that we get some of those under performing titles finished, if it comes about.
I hope thats true. I would love to see Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and My Three Sons continued.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Randy Korstick said:
Not sure how many Warner Archive you have seen but so far I have: Cheyene, Courtship of Eddie's Father, Girl From Uncle and have seen in person from a friends copies The F.B.I and Daktari and all of them are on par with the best of Paramount. Cheyene is every bit as good as Gunsmoke in Quality . Nothing they have released so far looks as bad as Have Gun Will Travel and Rawhide. I stopped buying both of those shows once they went to split seasons as it was not worth the premium price they want as split seasons for a lesser quality release. Even though the shows are good. For a price comparison Cheyene Season 2 and 3 are 20 one hour episodes the same as 40 1/2 hour episodes of Gunsmoke or one season 39 episodes. Amazon Generally has each Gunsmoke Volume on an everday price from $22.00 to $26.00 so an average of $24.00 per volume or $48.00 a season. Cheyene has a list of $49.99 a season with an everyday discount of $5.00 and everyday coupon of another $5.00 for a total of $39.99 for an everyday price. So definately cheaper than Gunsmoke on an everyday price. Now if you wait of course you can find a big sale for a little more of a discount on the Gunsmoke title just as you can find 20 -25% off of Cheyene plus a coupon code. I may find an archive title on ebay for $10-$12.00 but that doesn't mean its fair to compare that as a standard price anymore than it is to use a 50% off sale that some website may have once or twice a year as standard pricing on Paramount titles. Bottom Line is both Paramount and Warner Archive are asking the same premium prices for their titles so you really have to want the title or wait for a big sale to justify it. Everyday discount prices on WA titles are nearly as cheap as everyday Paramount titles. Heavier and similar discounts are available on both WA and PAramount titles if you want to wait. So far all WA titles have been of excellent quality while Paramount is sometimes excellent and sometimes poor and Paramount sometimes has issues with music replacement.. So I just can't see the Logic other than pure bias in constantly ripping the high WA pricing when Paramount has an equal pricing scheme with not always the same quality level.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. First off for price comparisons, you are using Gunsmoke against Cheyenne. From a content length comparison that is fine but not from a pricing side. Gunsmoke and Perry mason are perhaps the most expensive of the CBS/P sets and even regular purchasers have complained about them in their split volumes (even I wouldn't blind buy them). There are many other CBS/P titles that are regilar priced well below that (e.g., Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat junction) that typically go for $22-$25 a full season. Cheyenne on the other hand appears to be on the cheaper side of WBA titles. As I listed in my post, to be fair you have to compare apples to apples, which means either comparing the entire price range of titles per season from each studio, or at the very least Perry Mason and Gunsmoke against Tarzan and FBI. Even WB pressed disks go for cheaper then the WBA releases (e.g., Maverick). You took one example Cheyenne and Gunsmoke to make a case. I provided several and can provide even more. They aren't the same pricing scheme. With current discounts, Tarzan full season could probably be had for $60 - $70, while Maverick goes fro $30. As far as sales go, you make it seem like WBA has discounts and sales to the same degree as often as the competitive pricing between Amazon, BN, and other such vendors. I just don't find that to be the case in my experience. As for video quality, I have Cheyenne and Courtship of Eddie's Father, and I've seen FBI. Cheyenne in no way competes with Gunsmoke or Perry Mason. They aren't even close. The WBA Cheyenne is a little better then the Encore captures I made. Believe me I watch these on a 92" screen and there are definitely differences in detail level and the cleanup that was done during the remastering for HD. It would be good news if WBA continues to approach remastering, like Tarzan. But at this point I would say that WBA has been careful to only select titles that are in better then average quality without the needing to go further. While CBS/P has many more released titles that frankly show the various difference in quality of masters available when not remastered. Lets wait to see more titles from WBA before judging quality. I'll bet they have their fair share of problems with source masters as well. We just haven't seem them yet with the limited number of releases. I'm not biased against WBA. The fact is that I've been able to pick up quite a few blind-buys over the years buying cheaper titles from other studios. Some of these becoming new favorites. But i find that harder to justify with WBA pricing. Sure a must own I will buy no problem from WBA (e.g., Courtship of Eddie's Father). But I'm choosier where I spend my money on blind-buys, and a cheaper price offsets some of the risk.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb

Wow, Brad! I was just talking with Jeff Willis about this very issue (Randy's post in particular), and you said everything that I did. I mean it was almost like you were reading my mind or heard Jeff and I talking about this. Incredible! You are 100% correct on every point. I simply could not have said it any better or any clearer.

Gary "there is no comparison between WBA pricing structure and CBS - it simply does not hold up under close scrutiny" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Gary OS said:
     Quote:   :patriot: Wow, Brad!  I was just talking with Jeff Willis about this very issue (Randy's post in particular), and you said everything that I did.  I mean it was almost like you were reading my mind or heard Jeff and I talking about this.  Incredible!  You are 100% correct on every point.  I simply could not have said it any better or any clearer. Gary "there is no comparison between WBA pricing structure and CBS - it simply does not hold up under close scrutiny" O.
The thing is, it really isn't even WBA vs. CBS/P. I think because CBS/P has a few more expensive titles like Perry Mason it draws the comparison. I don't know of anyone that is happy paying even the Perry Mason price per volume. Those of us that do, it is because it is a series we want. But the majority of CBS/P pricing is lower then that, just like many other studio's and their pricing. I didn't want to pay what I had to pay for the last season of FKB's from Shout!, but i did because it is the only game in town with the title, and i wanted it. However, I had no problem picking up the earlier FKB seasons for a much cheaper price so that I could judge how much interest I had. What makes WBA standout for me, as other similarly priced specal programs, is that the higher pricing is the norm. Where as for most other studio's the higher pricing seems to be the exception for a select few. That is the disappointment and what limits my interest to just "must own" titles, and leaves out the "might be interesting to try" titles. Now i may have to change my approach and just buy less if this is the future, but as long as I can get other titles for cheaper i can continue to experiment with my purchases looking for the next new favorite to add to my collection.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb

The thing is, it really isn't even WBA vs. CBS/P. I think because CBS/P has a few more expensive titles like Perry Mason it draws the comparison. I don't know of anyone that is happy paying even the Perry Mason price per volume. Those of us that do, it is because it is a series we want. But the majority of CBS/P pricing is lower then that, just like many other studio's and their pricing. I didn't want to pay what I had to pay for the last season of FKB's from Shout!, but i did because it is the only game in town with the title, and i wanted it. However, I had no problem picking up the earlier FKB seasons for a much cheaper price so that I could judge how much interest I had.
What makes WBA standout for me, as other similarly priced specal programs, is that the higher pricing is the norm. Where as for most other studio's the higher pricing seems to be the exception for a select few. That is the disappointment and what limits my interest to just "must own" titles, and leaves out the "might be interesting to try" titles.

Absolutely correct again. I was only mentioning CBS because the WBA proponents used it as the example. But we all know that's a faulty example and not one that agrees with the overall picture and state of affairs when trying to compare WBA MODs to studio pressed disc releases. And your second point about the Archives higher price points being the norm is key in this entire discussion. And yes, like you, I too end up passing on things that I might have taken a look at had the title been released via a studio at a much lower price point.

Gary "good points, Brad" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The fairer model for WBA is with the MGM program, and on that one Warner came out much ahead of what they did in terms of selection and pricing. A full season of "Highway Patrol" for the same length of program content as a half season of The FBI is more on that price scale yet MGM never came in for the level of criticism that WBA gets subjected to. And I will be quite surprised if CBS/Paramount, should they go the BOD route, do a model of less expensive or on-par pricing with their retail releases compared to WBA. That will be the only time to fairly do direct comparisons with the studios respectively. So far, the only comparison I think ends up being fair is the matter of program content and is every made to insure that the material is uncut and with no replacement issues.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Jack P said:
The fairer model for WBA is with the MGM program, and on that one Warner came out much ahead of what they did in terms of selection and pricing. A full season of "Highway Patrol" for the same length of program content as a half season of The FBI is more on that price scale yet MGM never came in for the level of criticism that WBA gets subjected to.
I can ony comment for myself, but MGM never entered the picture for me because of the lack of content available, and titles of interest based on what has been listed about their potential catalog. So my approach towards MGM's prgram is the same as WBA. Truth is, no one is really talking about it, so what is there to respond to. But i agree with with you about MGM's program.
Jack P said:
And I will be quite surprised if CBS/Paramount, should they go the BOD route, do a model of less expensive or on-par pricing with their retail releases compared to WBA. That will be the only time to fairly do direct comparisons with the studios respectively. So far, the only comparison I think ends up being fair is the matter of program content and is every made to insure that the material is uncut and with no replacement issues.
I agree, if CBS/P or any other studio's venture into this model I doubt it will be any different. And while I agree that content and quality of a release can always be compared, i see no reason that price be left out. As a consumer, i don't care about models, i just care about content availability, quality, and pricing since it all goes into my purchasing decisions. I see no reason to leave one characteristic out because a particular model treats it differently.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
The funny thing is, I'm for the WBA program in many ways: - Getting content out that would otherwise not be released - Complete episodes - Quality sources, even if not always remastered - So far no music edits I think pretty much everyone agrees. The only negatives are that it is too expensive for anything but "must have" purchases for me and i'm not the biggest fan of purchasing "burned" disks. But I can live with that. Besides I have no control over it. Unfortunately, the majority of the discussion has nothing to do wity the positive qualities of the program, but just focuses on the pricing. I can see where this can be frustrating to some. My posts aren't about restating this negative but to respond to post that are trying to convince me that it doesn't exist, which i happen to disagree with. And i will leave it at that.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
smithb said:
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. First off for price comparisons, you are using Gunsmoke against Cheyenne. From a content length comparison that is fine but not from a pricing side. Gunsmoke and Perry mason are perhaps the most expensive of the CBS/P sets and even regular purchasers have complained about them in their split volumes (even I wouldn't blind buy them). There are many other CBS/P titles that are regilar priced well below that (e.g., Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat junction) that typically go for $22-$25 a full season. Cheyenne on the other hand appears to be on the cheaper side of WBA titles. As I listed in my post, to be fair you have to compare apples to apples, which means either comparing the entire price range of titles per season from each studio, or at the very least Perry Mason and Gunsmoke against Tarzan and FBI. Even WB pressed disks go for cheaper then the WBA releases (e.g., Maverick). You took one example Cheyenne and Gunsmoke to make a case. I provided several and can provide even more. They aren't the same pricing scheme. With current discounts, Tarzan full season could probably be had for $60 - $70, while Maverick goes fro $30. As far as sales go, you make it seem like WBA has discounts and sales to the same degree as often as the competitive pricing between Amazon, BN, and other such vendors. I just don't find that to be the case in my experience. As for video quality, I have Cheyenne and Courtship of Eddie's Father, and I've seen FBI. Cheyenne in no way competes with Gunsmoke or Perry Mason. They aren't even close. The WBA Cheyenne is a little better then the Encore captures I made. Believe me I watch these on a 92" screen and there are definitely differences in detail level and the cleanup that was done during the remastering for HD. It would be good news if WBA continues to approach remastering, like Tarzan. But at this point I would say that WBA has been careful to only select titles that are in better then average quality without the needing to go further. While CBS/P has many more released titles that frankly show the various difference in quality of masters available when not remastered. Lets wait to see more titles from WBA before judging quality. I'll bet they have their fair share of problems with source masters as well. We just haven't seem them yet with the limited number of releases. I'm not biased against WBA. The fact is that I've been able to pick up quite a few blind-buys over the years buying cheaper titles from other studios. Some of these becoming new favorites. But i find that harder to justify with WBA pricing. Sure a must own I will buy no problem from WBA (e.g., Courtship of Eddie's Father). But I'm choosier where I spend my money on blind-buys, and a cheaper price offsets some of the risk.
We'll agree to disagree as there are many more examples Bonanza being another I would like to buy but it remains around $24.-$26.00 per half season and $48.-$52.00 is more then I'm willing to spend for that show. So I wish I had the money but I can't buy too many blind buys or mild interst shows from either WA or Paramount because of the similarly high prices. Only titles I really want but at least WA I always know, so far the quality is high. Yes there are many Paramount titles that end up in bargain bins and cheap sales but that is also due to poor sales and those shows are usually discontinued so thats not always a good thing. I watch an episode of Gunsmoke and Cheyenne every week on a 56" HD TV and the quality is nearly identical. Are you comparing Season One of Cheyenne or Season Two and Three? Because the quality of Season One is not as good as 2 and 3 so that maybe why you are seeing a difference. But if I really thought there was a big drop as you are saying from Gunsmoke to Cheyenne then that would make the Timeless Westerns unwatchable other than the awesome looking Virginian releases. I find the rest just watchable but am grateful to have these over nothing but I feel Timeless is way over priced. Yes I know big discounts are easy to find on their stuff but I won't pay over $25.00 for their titles other than Virginian and usually feel I over paid because of the lack of quality. Most of their releases are on par with bargain bin public domain titles that normally sell for $10.00-$15.00 for a set like theirs and I feel thats what most of their titles should be regulalry selling for. So I appreciate Timeless for releasing obscure westerns and a few other shows but not for over charging for something they do no mastering or restoration work on and generally look poor to barely acceptible.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Yes, WBA proponents, I'll agree to disagree once again, "surprise surprise" :laugh: Timeless: Interesting,.... over several years of collecting, 1) I've never paid anything close to WBA list prices for my TV/DVD sets. 2) Comparable to PD? The vast majoriry of their releases, not close to me at all with that "party line" comparison :laugh: Excepting for "M Squad", which is bad, no question about that one, and "Arrest & Trial", the rest of my Timeless inventory looks considerably better than a few Alpha / PD quality releases. Continuous pricing comparisons: Well, those of us that have collected studio sets for years, all disagree with the few staunch proponents that regularly appear when their WBA realm seems threatened :laugh: and attempt to win this ongoing debate point. "Bias" card being played: Note to all here, that this card was first played by the few WBA proponents. Naturally, that's a two-way street. I've seen this stuff posted prevoiusly here, and probably more on the movie board, where they will also use the "whiner" analogy for those that have different pov on this subject. It's another "round" of a "Capital Hill" scene, where the two aisles will most likely never see it the same :laugh: As for "What it" comparisons, ie, attempting to compare a not-yet existant CBS/P MOD program's pricings, well, we know what that's all about :laugh: However, it's refreshing to see, this time, the absence of a comment from, yes, one of the WBA proponents that has told us in the past (since they know that their pro-WBA stance isn't by any means unanimous), "If you don't like it, get another hobby!!". That's verbatim and it's something that, as one that disagrees with their pov about this issue, I've never posted those comments. If we didn't know better, we'd think that we have about 2-3 WB employees that post about this ongoing subject :laugh:

S

silverking

I think you are being a bit hard on Timeless there. I would agree that a couple of their releases (M Squad, Laramie 3 & 4) were below par but these were obtained from collector prints which were the only available sources at the time. I have found their other releases, on the whole ,to be completely watchable. It's unrealistic to expect them to restore/remaster some of the other material they have issued. Something like 'Destry' probably only sells in the hundreds, if that many. I would doubt that the profit on them is any too high. Bear in mind distribution costs & the retailer probably takes a cut of about 25%. To offer them at $10-$15 makes no economic sense. I don't have too many BOD releases. I do have 'Cheyenne' & FB1 & for me the quality is fine. I really can't see any difference between the pressed & BOD image.Bear in mind these series were originally meant to be seen on TV sets of 15" to 27". You are bound to suffer some disappointment projecting them onto a 92" screen ! My solution for this older archive material is to view it on a 32" TV & save the big screen for material more suited to it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well said, Jeff and Chris.

Gary "you both hit the nail on the head in your respective replies, imho" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Willis said:
Yes, WBA proponents, I'll agree to disagree once again, "surprise surprise" :laugh: Timeless: Interesting,.... over several years of collecting, 1) I've never paid anything close to WBA list prices for my TV/DVD sets. 2) Comparable to PD? The vast majoriry of their releases, not close to me at all with that "party line" comparison :laugh: Excepting for "M Squad", which is bad, no question about that one, and "Arrest & Trial", the rest of my Timeless inventory looks considerably better than a few Alpha / PD quality releases. Continuous pricing comparisons: Well, those of us that have collected studio sets for years, all disagree with the few staunch proponents that regularly appear when their WBA realm seems threatened :laugh: and attempt to win this ongoing debate point. "Bias" card being played: Note to all here, that this card was first played by the few WBA proponents. Naturally, that's a two-way street. I've seen this stuff posted prevoiusly here, and probably more on the movie board, where they will also use the "whiner" analogy for those that have different pov on this subject. It's another "round" of a "Capital Hill" scene, where the two aisles will most likely never see it the same :laugh: As for "What it" comparisons, ie, attempting to compare a not-yet existant CBS/P MOD program's pricings, well, we know what that's all about :laugh: However, it's refreshing to see, this time, the absence of a comment from, yes, one of the WBA proponents that has told us in the past (since they know that their pro-WBA stance isn't by any means unanimous), "If you don't like it, get another hobby!!". That's verbatim and it's something that, as one that disagrees with their pov about this issue, I've never posted those comments. If we didn't know better, we'd think that we have about 2-3 WB employees that post about this ongoing subject :laugh:
Yes I agree Jeff you are practically perfect in every way. End of debate. No other point of view is worthy of more than a few posts or two before being ridiculed by your superior intellect. I also like how you say its not biased but yet make your whole post based on WA proponents when that is not the case. I stated I buy Paramount and WA but am selective because I admitted both are overpriced so no proponent of one or the other here. I just appreciate studios that are still releasing classic films and TV shows and Warner is one of the few left and I don't get the contant singling out of WA for the price structure when Paramount has the identical price Structure and Fox used the same structure when they still released classic TV.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
silverking said:
Bear in mind these series were originally meant to be seen on TV sets of 15" to 27". You are bound to suffer some disappointment projecting them onto a 92" screen ! My solution for this older archive material is to view it on a 32" TV & save the big screen for material more suited to it.
My HDTV has a Small-Screen Mode that I use whenever I'm watching a low-quality DVD. I euphamastically call it "Mill Creek Mode". If you ever watched any of their PD "Shovelware" Sets you know the quality leaves a lot to be desired. Whenever I discover I'm watching a low quality Video, I switch to the smaller screen and continue to view away! :D

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Randy Korstick said:
I don't get the contant singling out of WA for the price structure when Paramount has the identical price Structure and Fox used the same structure when they still released classic TV.
But that is just it, we do not agree about the price structure's being identical between MOD program's and typical pressed disks. Especially when considering street price. Again, how can you argue with WB's own "Maverick" (the complete first season) being available for pre-order at $30, when most MODs by WBA average around $60 to $80 a season when released. Yes, some releases by other studio's can be closer in line to WBA, and Yes there may be quality differences that you aren't willing to pay for, but overall the pricing of "pressed" disks is undeniably cheaper then MOD titles across the board (not just WBA).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
silverking said:
I don't have too many BOD releases. I do have 'Cheyenne' & FB1 & for me the quality is fine. I really can't see any difference between the pressed & BOD image.Bear in mind these series were originally meant to be seen on TV sets of 15" to 27". You are bound to suffer some disappointment projecting them onto a 92" screen ! My solution for this older archive material is to view it on a 32" TV & save the big screen for material more suited to it.
Actually, in my case, I'm not disappointed at all (if that's was how it came off). I was just noting there are visual differences between the referenced releases. I'm just appreciative of the content being available and understand the difficulties in getting some of the releases out at all. For example, I own many Timeless releases and just watched five episodes of M-Squad on the 92" screen the other night. No problems and enjoyed the opportunity to be able to watch this great show. What i have difficulty with on the big screen isn't washed out prints like M-Squad and Texan where there is still a sense of detail, but highly overly compressed video where someone tries to fit eight hours of content on a four hour disk, and everything has a "blocky" feel to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks